Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,094

2 members and 3,092 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: Other Females?

Thanks

Other Females?

Hey im new to BP breeding and thought i'd get some addition input on some other females and a male to get, currently i have a Banana Het Piebald female and am looking to get 2 more females and a male. I was thinking of getting a leopard het pied or spider het pied as the male for just the banana but now i am looking to get something that would accommodate the other two females i want to get as well. All feedback is greatly appreciated thanks!

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,906 Times in 839 Posts
    I think the better bang for your $$ is going with a visual pied male. That way all non-pied offspring are guaranteed to be het pied and you can avoid the headache of possible hets.
    Your other females can still be het pied or something like another visual recessive het pied (albino het pied/desert ghost het pied so on and so forth)

Remember that there is some ongoing discourse with the spider gene because of the wobble. Spider also can react oddly with the pied gene and create an all white hatchling.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (04-04-2022),Alicia (04-05-2022),nikkubus (04-04-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    Agree on going with visual Pied for the male. Little more pricy initial investment but it will pay off much more. If you can find a Pumpkin Pied or some other YB complex gene with Pied, you will pull out some really gorgeous hues out of Bananas. I'd stay away from Enchi for the opposite reason as Spider, just doesn't produce the best Pieds because they end up extremely low white. Leopard is a good choice, Red Stripe is a good choice. Almost any darkening gene is a good choice with Pied because people love to shoot for Panda Pieds, but GHI or Mahogany would be my top choice of those because they have less issues in super form. Mahogany or GHI Bananas are gorgeous too!

I always tell people, invest your big $$$ in males instead of skimping because you can breed to several females each season. Buy an expensive male and several cheap females, get a bunch of clutches of expensive babies. Buy a cheap male and expensive females, get the same thing, but pay way more. Buy a cheap male, one expensive female, few cheap females, only one clutch is expensive and the rest are cheap.

If you go with a visual Pied male, even non-het females will still produce 100% het Pied OS.

As an alternative to Spider if you really like that, consider Pinstripe. Not exactly the same, but similar look, and you will get closer to desirable 50/50 white/color Pieds.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (04-04-2022),Armiyana (04-04-2022)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,906 Times in 839 Posts
    On the darkening genes... I agree with the mahogany or GHI. Not just because of the supers, but also because super cinny also has the issue with hatching a pure white pied as well. Or even just being very high white.

Lol, my pewter pied is all white except for the headstamp. Her sister is super cinny and solid white.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (04-05-2022),nikkubus (04-05-2022)