Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,535

2 members and 3,533 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Registered User JJsmellslikecheese's Avatar
    Thanks

Exclamation Bci with a possible RI

i just purchased a Bci off craigslist last week, her original owner was a vet and didnt have space for her anymore. she is over 6 feet and around 3 years old. when i first got her i noticed a slight whistle in her breathing but i thought she was only hissing at me. yesterday i noticed she bubbles coming from her nose. the enclosure humility is correct and the temp is around 85. shes in a 4x3x2. she isn't lethargic in any way. she also sometimes takes a breath with her mouth open but it is only slightly. i am currently setting up a bin with a higher temperature and i texted the woman i got it from and she has me booked for friday to take her in to see if it is an RI. anything else i should be doing? this is also my first post on here

yes i know its my fault for not asking sooner if the snake did have any issues but she did say that she hadnt noticed anything before giving the snake to me. any tips or ideas would be helpful

i dont know if this is an RI 100%, maybe a clogged nostril? ive never had any reptiles get sick so i am worrying alot lol.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts
    If that was my snake, I'd strongly suspect it's an RI based on seeing bubbles from her nose, & the other symptoms you described (open mouth breathing) but it doesn't sound too severe yet-don't wait to treat, as snakes cannot really cough, so an RI can be deadly- they can choke on their throat secretions. I'm glad you have an appointment for Friday, but if she seems to be struggling to breathe before then (maybe bubbling from her mouth & open mouth breathing most of the time- etc), don't wait- let them know it's gotten worse & she needs help asap. The vet should do a culture, & based on what is found, your snake will probably need a series of antibiotic injections to get healthy again.

(Usually if it's just a clogged nostril -like with substrate or old shed- you might hear some whistling or crackling sounds, but you shouldn't see bubbles & open mouth breathing.)

By the way....
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-04-2022 at 07:24 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (04-04-2022),Homebody (04-05-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: Bci with a possible RI

Bubbles out the nose is 100% RI. I’m fighting one with a boa right now too. Definitely get them into the vet sooner if you can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (04-04-2022),dakski (04-04-2022),Gio (04-04-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Bci with a possible RI

Sounds like an RI to me.

I have a Carpet Python, Yafe, who got lost in shipment to me by fedex. He was a yearling and got a full blown RI.

A few things I've learned.

1. Husbandry is super important now and for the rest of the snake's life. If treated and cured quickly (relatively - and more on that in a minute), they aren't a lot more susceptible than a snake who hasn't had an RI, but they can be more likely to get another one, especially if there is permanent scarring (depends on a lot of factors).

Keep temps dialed in to slightly warmer (for a boa that means 90-93F hot spot versus 90F where I normally keep mine). Be careful though because too hot is deadly. If you have a good enclosure and a reliable thermostat, I'd aim for closer to 93F. I'd also keep humidity in the 65-75% range.

Long-term keep humidity over 60% and more in shed. Temps can go back to "normal" but make sure the snake has a proper hot spot and a good thermal gradient. 90F hot spot, 82-84F ambient, and 78-80F cool side.

2. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. If it is indeed an RI, as I think we all think it is, don't skimp on diagnosis or treatment. Proper diagnosis means a tracheal wash. Not all vets will do it, but it's very important to find a vet who will and is familiar with reptiles. A tracheal wash will tell you whether it's bacterial or fungal (most likely bacterial) and more importantly, what type of bacteria so the vet can prescribe the correct antibiotics.

3. Snakes get sick slowly and well slowly. Yafe took 2 months to recover, and longer to fully heal. That was 1 month of antibiotic injections every 3 days and daily nebulizer treatments for a month. The cost was high (dollar wise), but he's happy and healthy now and doing great (4 years later). If you aren't prepared to spend the time and money, find someone who is, and quickly for the snake's sake.

Finally, if you aren't following incredibly strict quarantine procedures, start immediately. Separate room, tools, bowls, etc.

Good luck and keep us posted.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (04-05-2022)