Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,836

2 members and 2,834 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Bedding

Thanks

Bedding

I finally go the camera in for him that I can check in on how he’s doing
    I rarely see him out this late in the morning I’m thinking it the smell of the bedding that’s bugging him that I recently changed what type of bedding do you normally use
    I put in compressed coconut fiber since I find it help with the humidity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Bedding

Compressed coconut husk is the best option for ball pythons. Just depends on the brand you get. I have used Reptichip in the past but in my next deep clean I will be trying CocoBlox. CocoBlox is way chunkier with less dust and stringy bits. Reptichip may be better suited for lizards, but I will have to see how I like CocoBlox. What brand were you using? I know there's a few other popular ones out there.

Thanks

This one I think I got it from Petsmart I do have coconut husk I don’t want to add it yet because so far the humidity is good

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ziggy the pig For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (04-01-2022)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 827 Posts
    It might not necessarily be 'bothering' you noodle. He might just be exploring and interacting more with the environment because of the change. Like a type of enrichment to keep him thinking
    Last edited by Armiyana; 04-01-2022 at 12:02 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (04-01-2022),Bogertophis (04-01-2022),EL-Ziggy (04-01-2022)

Thanks

I have vines with section cups that’s having a hard time staying on/at times Now I think about it I’m not sure how this is going to work with if I put it back up with the camera I’ll figure it out

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

I use Reptichip for all my snakes.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (04-01-2022),jmcrook (04-01-2022),Malum Argenteum (04-02-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

I alternate with Forest floor 100% cypress mulch and Reptibark. I’ll throw down some unprinted newspaper first prior to setting the other substrate.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 399 Posts
    I keep my royal and a handful of other species on ReptiChip (MicroChip for smaller animals).

There is a fair amount of anecdotal evidence that herps kept on loose coco fiber experience what looks like digestive impaction at a far higher rate than on other fine substrates. I've lost two geckos in the past with symptoms consistent with impaction that were on it and after a good period of time with a different substrate (Zilla Jungle Mix, which is peat based) have not had the issue repeat itself. It is suspected that while any substrate can be and will be ingested, coco fiber simply doesn't get excreted effectively. Whether this is an issue in royal pythons I don't know.

Personally, I think the water holding qualities of loose coco fiber are poor compared to other substrates. It goes from wet to dry more quickly than I like; a gradual drying out is better, I think. It is dusty in dry conditions, and seems to be too eager to grow mold in more damp conditions.

ReptiChip is great for species that have fairly specific environmental moisture needs -- moisture access without wet substrate contact; a fairly narrow range of preferred moisture levels -- as it allows for some self-regulation: a thicker layer of chips can be pretty damp on the bottom and fairly close to dry on the top, and the snake can either lay on top of the substrate or "wriggle in" to get a little more moisture.

This is better, IMO, than simply having a dry side and a moist side since the snake also needs to thermoregulate, so there needs to be four zones, but it also likely has a preferred sort of hide so that multiplies the number of microhabitat combinations needed.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-02-2022),jmcrook (04-02-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    I keep my royal and a handful of other species on ReptiChip (MicroChip for smaller animals).

There is a fair amount of anecdotal evidence that herps kept on loose coco fiber experience what looks like digestive impaction at a far higher rate than on other fine substrates. I've lost two geckos in the past with symptoms consistent with impaction that were on it and after a good period of time with a different substrate (Zilla Jungle Mix, which is peat based) have not had the issue repeat itself. It is suspected that while any substrate can be and will be ingested, coco fiber simply doesn't get excreted effectively. Whether this is an issue in royal pythons I don't know.

Personally, I think the water holding qualities of loose coco fiber are poor compared to other substrates. It goes from wet to dry more quickly than I like; a gradual drying out is better, I think. It is dusty in dry conditions, and seems to be too eager to grow mold in more damp conditions.

ReptiChip is great for species that have fairly specific environmental moisture needs -- moisture access without wet substrate contact; a fairly narrow range of preferred moisture levels -- as it allows for some self-regulation: a thicker layer of chips can be pretty damp on the bottom and fairly close to dry on the top, and the snake can either lay on top of the substrate or "wriggle in" to get a little more moisture.

This is better, IMO, than simply having a dry side and a moist side since the snake also needs to thermoregulate, so there needs to be four zones, but it also likely has a preferred sort of hide so that multiplies the number of microhabitat combinations needed.
    For a "community" that uses more than it's share of coco fiber substrates (judging by what is shared here) I think this really deserves a lot more attention- especially the potential for problems using it.

Personally, I've used loose coco fiber (various brands) on more than a few occasions & for different herps over the years & I don't care for it- in my current location (more humid than most) it always invites mold. I have used Reptichip & similar products, & like Malum Argenteum, I think much more highly of them also. (Just a reminder, I'm not currently keeping BPs at all.)

Anyway the potential for impaction or other resulting health issues is for sure something that needs more attention on such a widely used & widely recommended product as is the loose coco fiber substrate, & it's good to remember that snakes in the wild do not live on just one substrate.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (04-02-2022)

Thanks

Ok
    and I am not sure I I miss read this somewhere that coconut fiber/husk doesn’t get moldy I’m sure to goes bad in some way I definitely need to double check this