Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,063

2 members and 3,061 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Lesser Orange(pastel/butter?) Ghost male. [Asmo]

Name: Azmodeus. Azmo for short.
    Born late 2021
    Length: 17" (43cm)
    Weight: tbd.

Hello all!
    First time owner here. Done a ton of learning pre homing and will continue to do so this guy will be competently taken care of.

He's not very head shy and has had a great temperament.
    Has not hissed or struck. hasn't shown any signs of stress other than when I very first flapped my phone over his face for a *shelfie (selfish selfy of snake!? Baha)

He's been on f/t fussy mice) and his first feed in his new home with me will be this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Asmo For This Useful Post:

AutumnVanilla (03-24-2022),Bogertophis (03-24-2022),Homebody (04-04-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Very cute little "beep"! It's pretty exciting when you get your first snake, but I would suggest that for "best results" you stop handling this snake now, & give him a chance to relax & "settle in" if you hope to have him eat this weekend. That's just my "voice of experience" lol. Snakes are pretty stoic- it takes a lot of practice & observation time to get a good sense of how they're actually feeling, but remember B.P.s are shy nocturnal ambush-hunters. And they sure don't understand where the world they previously knew & felt safe in just disappeared to- no matter how nicely you fix up their new home, most snakes keep looking for familiar territory for a while, & the stress can affect their appetite.

Many snakes (especially ball pythons) don't eat if they don't feel "safe". Also, remember that the only thing that picks up a snake in the natural world is a predator that's about to eat them- most snakes learn that we're "safe & harmless" but handling a new snake can be more overwhelming for them than you might think. I should also warn you, these things are habit-forming!

BTW, one thing that can help is knowing how a snake was kept prior to your acquisition- the size & type of enclosure he was in. If he was kept by a breeder, it was most likely in a fairly small tub, & many BPs seen to prefer (do best) when in similarly "cozy" accommodations, especially at first.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-24-2022 at 12:06 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (03-24-2022)

Thanks

Re: Lesser Orange(pastel/butter?) Ghost male. [Asmo]

100%. Thank you for the compliment.
    Not going to not touch him now and for a few days after feed.
    I dont post anything ever anywhere and struggled to want to write a novel about every detail of his set up or anthropmorphy to show that I have a decent grasp on new/balls ingeneral but I do appreciate the comment.
    Countless hours have been spent learning so this noodle is stress free and can self regulate temps in his tub.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Asmo For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (03-24-2022),Bogertophis (03-24-2022)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 827 Posts
    Super cute little guy! I hope he settles in well for you!
    I was a little confused by the title but the deli cup photo clears that all up! I didn't quite understand what you meant by the (Pastel/butter). I'm hoping to hatch out a little cutie like him in the future. But that's a bit aways still.

A bit of genetic trivia for you!
    -Lesser and Butter are thought to be line bred versions of the same gene or extremely similar. It's just good practice to keep calling the genes by the particular line in case you do end up looking at breeding in the future. So even though they might be the same, just refer to any offspring with the gene as lesser. If the female was a butter, then that's a different can of worms because you can't tell which gene is which in most cases and just have to say Lesser or butter.
    -Orange Ghost is it's own recessive gene. In some cases, but not all, it is compatible with 'hypo'. This is another gene where you ideally want to keep it in the same 'line'. But especially if you don't end up with a compatible hypo, you would end up with normal looking babies that are double het for orange ghost and hypo.
    Last edited by Armiyana; 03-23-2022 at 11:53 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Asmo (03-24-2022),Bogertophis (03-24-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I just want things to go well (easily) for you- I know how frustrating it is when they won't eat.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Asmo (03-23-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

An amazing pickup and choice! It is a good idea to refrain from handling as he adjusts to new surroundings. Remember that hatchlings are defensive and will tag you from time to time. He needs to de-stress from shipping and be allowed to acclimate to his new home. There will be time to handle him as he becomes established. Good luck with him and use the search bar here on the forum to get your husbandry tips for hatchlings 101. I know you’re aware, just a reminder.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 03-24-2022 at 08:57 AM.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Asmo (03-24-2022)

Thanks

You guys have been great and it's lovely to see so many people giving a *beep* about others animals.

I actually got him locally and was able to see him in person and bring him home myself.
    That's the only reason I've handled him once since bringing him home last Sunday. He won't be touched now untill a few days after feed.

When I had him out he was pretty squishy and not body tense in the slightest.

The compliments and helpfull comments have been great to read

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Asmo For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (03-24-2022),Armiyana (03-24-2022),Bogertophis (03-24-2022)