Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,182

0 members and 3,182 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: humidity

Thanks

humidity

My snake just had her first shed with me and it didn’t go smoothly I bought a hygrometer to keep an eye on the humidity levels (it comes in today), i’m worried the air conditioning that’s on in my house and the heat lamp I use in her tank is drying everything out pretty fast, I was wondering if there’s any methods to help keep the humidity up longer. I typically spray twice, morning and night, and i’ve put a damp towel on 3/4s of the top of the cage, but this is not working any advice? I do use a tropical substrate thats good for humidity however it dries out quickly in my tank even when i spray it, I feel like i’m not doing something right! She’s a banana ball, I got her about a month ago now and haven’t had any trouble feeding her, I’m just hoping to fix her humidity to keep her happy and healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by aligator; 03-22-2022 at 09:43 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: humidity

Easily fixable situation if you consider a “versa top” for the enclosure. They are sized according to the gallon capacity of the tank and work extremely well to increase humidity. You will have to put small holes in the plastic attachment that comes in the box with the glass fixture. The other option is to get the measurements of the top length X width and cut a plexiglass fitting for the top that will also need ventilation holes as well. Petco and most aquarium supply dealers should have the versa tops. Lowes should be able to help with the plexiglass sheets.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 03-22-2022 at 09:57 AM.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

aligator (03-22-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    Easily fixable situation if you consider a “versa top” for the enclosure. They are sized according to the gallon capacity of the tank and work extremely well to increase humidity. You will have to put small holes in the plastic attachment that comes in the box with the glass fixture. The other option is to get the measurements of the top length X width and cut a plexiglass fitting for the top that will also need ventilation holes as well.
    Thank you so much! I haven’t thought about changing the screen top but i’m sure it’ll keep the humidity from easily escaping.

Thanks

The versa tops are more functional and probably more pleasing of a match to the tank. Plexiglass maybe you can cut it to cover only three quarters of the top of the tank. Either the plexiglass or the versa top will be sitting on the inner lids of the top of the tank and you will still be able to put the screen top back in place on the top. The screen top is going to fit the outer borders of the tank.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 03-22-2022 at 10:07 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

aligator (03-22-2022),Homebody (03-22-2022)

Thanks

Remember if you go with plexiglass you will be measuring the internal diameters of the top of the tank. Because you want the glass sitting on the plastic lid projections. That’s what those projections on the lid are for. The versa top is already made to fit directly into and on those projections. You will absolutely still need the screen top and your locking clips to secure the enclosure
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 03-22-2022 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Add info.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    The versa tops are more functional and probably more pleasing of a match to the tank. Plexiglass maybe you can cut it to cover only three quarters of the top of the tank. Either the plexiglass or the versa top will be sitting on the inner lids of the top of the tank and you will still be able to put the screen top back in place on the top. The screen top is going to fit the outer borders of the tank.
    The top of my tank is a little odd, in order to put the screen in I have to slide it into place, do you think a versa top would work with this kind of opening?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to aligator For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (03-22-2022)

Thanks
    Oh, I know the versa top wouldn’t be compatible with that type of top unfortunately. Why don’t you try some “Press and Seal” plastic cling to part of the screen top and experiment with that. Maybe start covering half of the top and measure your readings and results ? See if you have to go to covering three quarters of the top or so.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Make sure to have your hygrometer available to keep track of how high the humidity is getting with the “press and seal” in place. You should see better results right away. You will just have to monitor the readings until you can gauge the best direction to go in.