Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,338

0 members and 1,338 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shead

Thanks

Shead

He finished a shead a few days ago and noticed this sorry for the blurry picture it’s the best I can get his other eye good when I tried opening his mouth to check on his teeth on one side he pulls back normally he doesn’t do that when I checked the other side he doesn’t pull back when I check his teeth I am wondering if he is injured himself somehow or still a bit tender from a shead got any recommendations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ziggy the pig; 03-22-2022 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Spell check

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts
    Could be entirely a coincidence [reacting to one side & not the other]- personally, I'd quit pulling on his mouth. I don't know of ANY snake that appreciates it.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: Shead

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Could be entirely a coincidence [reacting to one side & not the other]- personally, I'd quit pulling on his mouth. I don't know of ANY snake that appreciates it.
    Ok and as for the stuck eye cap?

Thanks
    Eye caps- be very careful- you'll need to keep it very moist for a while, any way you can. (misting, soaking, whatever) I see you're in AZ- do you keep track of the humidity in his enclosure?
    You probably need to, & adding a humid hide (with damp sphagnum moss) helps too. BPs need about 55% humidity most of the time, but during shed, raise it to 65-75%.

If the eye cap doesn't come off easily after "soaking" (blot with something damp & gently rub with terry cloth) you might want to contact a vet for help- it's very easy to damage a snake's eyes, & more than one person has actually taken off more than just the shed-eye-cap when they tried- no kidding. BPs are prone to stuck eye-caps & have been blinded by aggressive human "help".

If you need a qualified vet, this may help: https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (03-22-2022)

Thanks

Yes I do have humidity gauge and their tools of them actually one says 55 the other says 60% I do have medication for him that I’ve been using to help with that unfortunately from the previous few stock sheds I will add a little bit more water to the bedding and take a Q-tip and get it wet rub it on his eye he doesn’t like taking a soak unless it’s absolutely necessary last time my friend and I tried attempting to remove a stuck eye cap we or unsuccessful sound another way to help remove it was out hurting him he’s in a new terrarium and wasn’t sure how well he would shed I thought he would shed well A new learning curve for a new terrarium

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy the pig View Post
    Yes I do have humidity gauge and their tools of them actually one says 55 the other says 60% I do have medication for him that I’ve been using to help with that unfortunately from the previous few stock sheds I will add a little bit more water to the bedding and take a Q-tip and get it wet rub it on his eye he doesn’t like taking a soak unless it’s absolutely necessary last time my friend and I tried attempting to remove a stuck eye cap we or unsuccessful sound another way to help remove it was out hurting him he’s in a new terrarium and wasn’t sure how well he would shed I thought he would shed well A new learning curve for a new terrarium

When you notice your snake clouding up, raise the humidity to 75% until they're done shedding. Substrates that hold moisture help a lot, but only if the ventilation is mostly restricted- IF you're using a glass tank of any kind, you want to cover most of the screen top so the humidity stays in.

Provide a humid hide (keep the sphagnum moss damp during his shed).

Soak- I didn't mean to soak the whole snake- you'll need to soak a towel/cloth/or sponge & keep it on his eye-cap for a while until it softens enough to gently rub off. But a Q-tip is pretty small for this. The "shed-aid" type products don't usually do anything more than plain water- fyi. You could also just wrap him in a damp towel, then put him in a ventilated tub for a while- he'll probably get the shedding done.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (03-22-2022)

Thanks

It is a custom terrarium made of wood and plexiglass I can remove the old wood if needed kind of odd when I checked his eyes slept fine after he finished shedding and just now noticed this

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy the pig View Post
    ...I can remove the old wood if needed...
    I'm not following your reasoning here- maybe pictures would help to clarify? To the best of my knowledge, air (& therefore humidity) doesn't escape through either wood OR plexiglass- only through whatever vents there are. If there's too much air-flow from ANY kind of enclosure, you'll have trouble maintaining the humidity.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-22-2022 at 11:10 AM.

Thanks

The whole thing is a custom terrarium made out of wood and pixie glass if the gets moldy I could easily unscrew the entire thing and replace it with a new piece

Thanks
    It looks nice* & I hope all the wood has been water-proofed? That should prevent mold.

*But the pic doesn't answer my question about ventilation- which goes to the problem you're having with your snake's ability to shed well. Are you using a humidity gauge, & what is the reading?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast