Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,665

5 members and 2,660 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,034
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jeremymichels
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts
    Of what we have available in the US for carpet pythons Bredl's Pythons and Brisbane Locality Southern Coastal carpets are the two with the largest size potential. This does not mean they will certainly get huge, but stand a greater chance of attaining large sizes than a jungle. Both are heavier bodied than most other carpet subspecies as well

Brisbane locality southern coastals are said to be able to reach 8'+ easily and that's what Gio has posted in the last pictures. These or similar are generally what you see in the news when an aussie shares pics of a massive carpet. I have a pair as well and are featured in a somewhat recent thread I made here. My nearly 5yo female is ~6' and my 4yo male is about 4'. I'm certain I could have gotten them easily over 6-7' by this age, but prefer to grow my animals slower when possible. They're adults between 5.5-9' and can be kept in that range quite manageably.

Will get big and can get big are two different things with carpets and can be managed quite easily with careful monitoring of feeding and how it impacts their growth. I'm not pressing mine to reach enormous sizes. I won't be upset if that happens, but not trying to unnecessarily force it. I give them a couple months off of feeding in the winter and generally feed every 2-3 weeks give or take throughout the year.

If I remember correctly you have Tarahumaras and Amarali, yes? I do as well and both are a bit more forgiving of cool temperatures than other boas. I think a bredl's python or jungle would suit you well which care also very durable and cold tolerant, though I really enjoy both my northern and southern coastal carpets. Most carpets make excellent display critters and mine are frequently out in the open basking during the day and fairly active at night.

A bit rambly here, let me know if I need to clarify anything or if you have other questions.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Gio (03-15-2023),Homebody (03-01-2023),Nick_MD (03-02-2023)

Thanks
    That should read that Bredl's are very durable and cold tolerant, not jungles. Though most carpets are pretty forgiving of keeper error than BP for example

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-14-2023),Gio (03-14-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    To add a little more,

A larger carpet will not weigh what a larger boa will weigh. Nor will a carpet that's a foot longer than a boa rival the density of the boa.

Prey size rather than feeding frequency will contribute more to end size. There is a study that looked at certain populations of the same species and found the snakes that lived in areas with larger prey were ultimately larger. I wish I had the study handy. I think it was within rat snake populations.

Looking at the SD and Dwarf retics, you can also note the snakes are smaller in areas where large prey isn't available.

I would like to see a study in carpet pythons like that.

At this stage my Southern, "Brissy" is smaller than my costal mix was at a similar age. My late mix didn't eat very often at all, yet she grew to 8+ feet. Her spurt was later in life. Probably because when I did feed her, I offered fairly good sized prey.

I wouldn't get too hung up on size. The norm is NOT 9-10'. I'd say an 8 foot carpet is a good sized captive snake, and actually it is a size that is easy to handle.

Nick Mutton has some beautiful animals as does Mike Pennell. JM has some other leads you may want to look into.

I can't recommend the carpet group enough. They compliment boa ownership.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-01-2023),jmcrook (03-02-2023),Nick_MD (03-02-2023)

Thanks

Re: Carpet Python vs Boa

After watching a 30 min presentation by Nick Mutton, I went ahead and purchased his The More Complete Carpet Python which should arrive next week. I think it'll answer some of these questions, but I'll ask here too.

On Bredlis, are there bloodlines that accentuate the red? I've browsed through a bunch of what's for sale and see a lot of morphs, but I'm liking what I think are the red normals with the black around the lighter banding.

I like the orange on the Darwin's, but they seem less popular than the Bredlis. Is this a size or specialized care issue? I think I like the Bredlis more too, but curious what the differences are.

Is granite a morph specific to the Papuan Carpets? Are there neurological or other issues with that morph?

I've ruled out the Diamonds as too specialized care. I still like the JCP, but much like the boas, I'm finding myself drawn to the natural locality types (and maybe the granite).

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nick_MD For This Useful Post:

Gio (03-14-2023),jmcrook (03-15-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_MD View Post
    After watching a 30 min presentation by Nick Mutton, I went ahead and purchased his The More Complete Carpet Python which should arrive next week. I think it'll answer some of these questions, but I'll ask here too.

On Bredlis, are there bloodlines that accentuate the red? I've browsed through a bunch of what's for sale and see a lot of morphs, but I'm liking what I think are the red normals with the black around the lighter banding.

I like the orange on the Darwin's, but they seem less popular than the Bredlis. Is this a size or specialized care issue? I think I like the Bredlis more too, but curious what the differences are.

Is granite a morph specific to the Papuan Carpets? Are there neurological or other issues with that morph?

I've ruled out the Diamonds as too specialized care. I still like the JCP, but much like the boas, I'm finding myself drawn to the natural locality types (and maybe the granite).
    The Afros line is said to be one of the more colorful "Normal" types.

This is the website of the other author of the book you just ordered.
    http://www.australianaddiction.com/Bredli_N.html

You can see the different lines being bred.

My male is 50% hypo with some other stuff. Nick explained the snake as "one of most perfect and beautiful normals you'll see".

The snake has the traits of a normal, but the beauty of a touch of hypo. My guy still has black on his tail and he does get darker in the winter.

He's not overly light even in the summer.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Homebody (03-14-2023),jmcrook (03-15-2023),Nick_MD (03-15-2023),OatBoii (03-14-2023)

Thanks
    Hi! I recently just had a call with Mr. Mutton about a DCP vs a Bredli. I am not sure my concerns are yours, but he did mention that the DCPs are a slightly more delicate species, and a bit nippier. They also dont like big enclosures apparently, because they get nervous if the enclosure is too big. He recommended totes for nearly all his hatchlings and sub yearling snakes. I will be getting my own snake from him in just a few days, and he was born 8/2021, but Mr. Mutton still thought that a 36x18x18 might be too big for him. We'll find out I suppose. I would definitely be prepared to move any young CP you get into a tote from a larger enclosure if it seems like they aren't thriving. I was told that a 4x2x2 is an absolute no go until a snake is adult size, and out of its "shy" phase. Take that as you will, however.

From my own research on DCPs, I found that perhaps a reason for their less popular status is that a lot of people find them to be much more prone to RIs. Whether or not this is factual I'm not sure, but there seems to be a large number of keepers who have problems with DCPs and RIs. Other than that, perhaps people dont like their pattern compared to the much brighter JCP? Maybe they like bigger snakes like coastals? Hard to say. Being that they require more tropical conditions and higher humidity, I would say their care is a lot closer to a boa. As far as temperament goes, most CPs are nippier as hatchlings, so I would expect a DCP to calm down with enough time like most others. Maybe just a bit more for a DCP, since they're naturally smaller.

For the Bredli, what really swayed me to their side was that they are very friendly, hardy snakes. I was initially concerned about their potential growth, but Mr. Mutton explained to me that the snake will grow at the rate you want it to. IE; How much, how big, and how often you feed has a lot more to do with it. Males are both the biggest and smallest CPs because a lot of keepers prefer to keep them much smaller than females, but they can potentially get much larger than them too. Obviously all snakes have a rough min/max size, but as long as you provide proper care and dont power feed, the feeling I got was not to worry about size.

Bredlis being from a central desert part of Australia mean they're also more tolerant to temperature swings, and Mr. Mutton mentioned his bredlis sometimes get down to the 40s during the winter with no problems. They withstand slightly hotter temperatures as well, and humidity is never a concern. All of this made me very inclined to the bredli, as I live in an area that experiences extremely cold, dry winters, but very hot, humid summers. I also had a PVC with a screen top and primarily overhead heating, so it works out in my favour not to have to worry as much about humidity loss.

I'm a big fan of the 50% hypo bredlis. I cant say much about their genetics- I honestly dont know- but I do know that I prefer the rusty red-brown of the 50% hypo to the brick red of the 100% hypo. I have added a picture of the snake I will be getting below- he is 50% hypo, and gorgeous in my opinion. I expect he will turn out much like Gio's male above. Whatever you choose, best of luck! Mr. Mutton is an amazing person to talk to, so if you're considering getting something from him and have a few questions, I'm sure he'll gladly talk with you about it. We had a nice, long call. He is a very passionate and knowledgeable man.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OatBoii For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-14-2023),Homebody (03-14-2023),Nick_MD (03-15-2023)

Thanks

Thanks for the additional info. The Bredli sounds like what I'm looking for.

"I'm a big fan of the 50% hypo bredlis. I cant say much about their genetics- I honestly dont know- but I do know that I prefer the rusty red-brown of the 50% hypo to the brick red of the 100% hypo. I have added a picture of the snake I will be getting below- he is 50% hypo, and gorgeous in my opinion. I expect he will turn out much like Gio's male above."

Both are great looking snakes. Will the black border around the cream banding come in later or is that something that's permanently reduced by the 50% hypo? I'm a little confused about the 50% hypo since Gio says his has that as well, but in the pic the black is fairly strong. Then again, I might just be thrown off by the black being heavy in the tail side which I guess is common on these guys. Really just curious if that comes in later and other color changes.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Nick_MD For This Useful Post:

Gio (03-15-2023)

Thanks
    The black in the posterior 1/2-1/3 comes later as part of their ontogenetic color change. 50% hypo will reduce the black pigment to various degrees.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-15-2023),Gio (03-15-2023),Homebody (03-15-2023)

Thanks
    This is the genetic makeup of my guy.

I got him April 28. 2020.

He's a September 2017 animal. He was obviously much larger than a baby.

Depending on the lighting he can look very hypo, or more normal. The blacks were already prominent in the lower 1/3rd of his body.

With some different lighting he looks much more hypo. This is still day one of his arrival.

I am in agreement with the research regarding UV light especially with this species. I don't use it in any of may cages, however in the summer when I take this one outdoors, his colors improve, or change if he gets out frequently and stays out. It takes more than a few days to be noticeable but I do see differences.

He's older here. He likely hasn't been out often. This picture does show the lower portion of the animal compared to the upper.

This is one of the most recent photos of him. He's going to be 6 years old in September. His coloring is darker although the picture is in the winter and he may have been pre-shed here. He didn't eat from October until the middle of this month. I suspect his tail will continue to get darker with age.

I'm going to try to get him outside more this summer to see exactly what exposure to a lot of sunlight will do to the coloring.

I do like the fact that even the "tweaked" Bredli stay somewhat close to the natural specimens. Obviously selective breeding for anything will yield animals that don't look like their wild relatives. This species isn't exactly a color cornucopia so it stands to reason that even the "special" ones will still have a look closer to a wild type the other carpets.

Bottom line,

If you don't want the total hypo look, you should be happy with the 50%. It looks like an above average wild type IMO.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Homebody (03-15-2023),Mistery510 (10-28-2023),Nick_MD (03-15-2023)

Thanks

Thanks Gio! Exactly the info I was looking for. I think there's one of these in my future even if I don't get the trade to work out.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Nick_MD For This Useful Post:

Gio (03-15-2023)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast