Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,809

0 members and 2,809 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanks Gio, that's a lot of useful info! Seems like many of the folks here that have both, love them for their many similarities and a few key differences. Think I'm sold on a high contrast, black/yellow carpet should the opportunity arise again.

Your Barranquilla pics and posts were a big reason I got a couple of them last year. Hopefully some spring pics for a progression thread on those guys coming soon. Still undecided on keeping both.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nick_MD For This Useful Post:

Gio (03-17-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Re: Carpet Python vs Boa

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_MD View Post
    Thanks Gio, that's a lot of useful info! Seems like many of the folks here that have both, love them for their many similarities and a few key differences. Think I'm sold on a high contrast, black/yellow carpet should the opportunity arise again.

Your Barranquilla pics and posts were a big reason I got a couple of them last year. Hopefully some spring pics for a progression thread on those guys coming soon. Still undecided on keeping both.
    Thanks,

I guess I forgot or didn't know about your Barranquilla boas.

Excellent choice for a boa and maybe only rivaled by a fine Suri or Perruvian IMO.

You can't go wrong with a flashy Jungle. The selectively bred types hold those colors without much change even at older ages.

I was actually impressed that my old girl, Jewel, who was a coastal mix had such neon coloring on her upper neck and head. I'm sure she had some jungle in her and possibly some other stuff.

This is a no brainer discussion now that I know you already have boas.

A carpet of any type is a must!

Congrats on your wise decision.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (03-18-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

If you’ve already got boas, get a carpet. If you’ve already got carpets, get a boa. If you don’t have either then get both. If you can only keep one, get a carpet. The husbandry is pretty similar, boas handle a little better, but carpets are a nicer display snake and typically hide less. That’s the small advantage I’d give to carpets. Otherwise they’re equally awesome.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (03-18-2022),Caitlin (03-01-2023),Gio (03-20-2022),Homebody (03-18-2022),jmcrook (03-19-2022),richardhind1972 (03-19-2022)

Thanks
    Didn't add a carpet in last year, but back to researching for 2023...

Question for the group - Do you have care info you trust on Diamond Carpets (Morelia spilota spilota) ? I love the look of those, but some of you had said they are more difficult. How so? I see they are further south at higher elevations, but what does that mean for care besides slightly lower temps. Anything else?

Thanks

Didn't add a carpet in last year, but back to researching for 2023...

Question for the group - Do you have care info you trust on Diamond Carpets (Morelia spilota spilota) ? I love the look of those, but some of you had said they are more difficult. How so? I see they are further south at higher elevations, but what does that mean for care besides slightly lower temps. Anything else?
    I was just discussing Diamonds the other day with JM.

They DO require the some different husbandry. While it may not be a must, I feel a large cage with substantial temperature gradient is a good move. Diamonds do need to be able to get cool enough.

I don't think I would be able to properly keep one in my setup. The ambient room temp alone would cause issues here. Stacking cages makes it difficult as well. Heat from a bottom cage always adds some floor heat to the cage above. This is far from expert advice, keep that in mind.

Here is a link that introduces you to the carpet group and some other Australian pythons.
    https://southernserpents.com.au/page...aussie-pythons

Another good link.
    http://ectotherms.net/kyherpsoc/carpetpythons.html

A possible option if you like the look of the Diamond python is to find an intergrade.

The husbandry issues don't seem to follow along once the species is crossed. There are natural intergrades, which I am not certain exist in the states, and there are crosses that do.

Diamond care.

https://reptilesmagazine.com/diamond-python-care/

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (02-28-2023),Bogertophis (02-28-2023),dakski (02-28-2023),Nick_MD (03-01-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts
    Gio hit the nail pretty well with his post. Focused hot spot with warmer temps, for shorter periods of the day, preferably with a bulb of sorts over an RHP. Very very very high amounts of ventilation to prevent excessive heat build up, large temperature gradient, and especially in the winter much much colder ambient and evening temps than other Morelia Read: low 50s and I’ve even heard of upper 40s in cases with no ill effect, in fact much the opposite.

Excessive heat is the cause of what was called Diamond Python Syndrome. Too much warmth speeds up their metabolic rate and they, for lack of a better description, age faster physically and die prematurely as a result. Their coloration is designed to soak up heat quickly because it’s scarce in their habitat for large portions of the year. Southern most ranging python species in the world and they’ve adapted well to handle very cool/cold temps to the point of not being able to handle constant warmer conditions.

I’d love to have diamonds but don’t think I could do them right in my north MS climate and current home ambient temps. Check out the newest More Complete Carpet Python for a more articulate explanation of their captive husbandry than I’m able to put into words.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-28-2023),Gio (02-28-2023),Homebody (02-28-2023),Nick_MD (03-01-2023)

Thanks

Thanks again guys! After reading through those links and the info provided, that's quite a bit more specialized care than slightly lower temps. Not a good fit for my home either. Would have to go in same room and able to stack with the boas. APs 4x2x2 can stack 3 high, right?

Probably back to targeting a nice JCP. Sweating the fading pattern though.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Thanks again guys! After reading through those links and the info provided, that's quite a bit more specialized care than slightly lower temps. Not a good fit for my home either. Would have to go in same room and able to stack with the boas. APs 4x2x2 can stack 3 high, right?

Jungles (or any carpet python) are great keeps. It will take quite some time before they fade too much. Just obtain from quality lines/breeders and you should have a screaming black and yellow snake for many many years. Mine is 3yo in June and still blinding yellow and jet black. Happy to recommend breeders if interested.
    As for the specialized care, some of the info in those links is a bit dated, but some is still pretty accurate to the best of my knowledge. Again, I've never kept diamonds so I can't speak from personal experience. I do have Brisbane locality southern coastals though (not from as far south as diamonds range) and they can definitely take cool temps with no issue. Dropped them to 54 degrees for breeding trials this winter and they were still out looking for food like they didn't notice the temperature drop.
    Those AP cages can definitely stack 3-4 high +. Both of my stacks are 3 high and not missing a beat.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Gio (03-01-2023),Homebody (03-01-2023),Nick_MD (03-01-2023)

Thanks

Another option,

The hybrid/cross.

Diamond X Coastal.

I am not into crossing, however there is a natural intergrade zone where Diamonds do mate with Coastals. JM may know if we have the true intergrades here in the states. Nick Mutton will certainly know and if you want a good LOOOOOONNG conversation, Nick is a fantastic resource.

The intergrades are beautiful snakes without the husbandry requirements that pure Diamonds require. A hybrid created here in the US would not be a complete slap in the face to any particular locality. There are more than enough carpet pythons with unknown origins here that having a selectively bred C X D or J X D isn't going to upset the balance of things.

I get the impression you are fond of the Diamond pattern and color scheme.

Here is another link with some more Diamond info and an explanation of the natural intergrade example.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_JgxohI4Ys

The Coastal X Diamond would be a logical cross.

Everything depends on your preferences.

My first carpet, RIP., was not a locality or anything 100% pure. She was coastal and a mixed bag after that. She ranked as one of my favorites and I'd take another like her any day of the week.

I asked Nick Mutton about this animal, and he of course said, "There is no way to tell what she is." He did say there was some characteristics, especially in one of the parents that resembled a Diamond. Of course Jungle was also mentioned.

She held her coloring around her head pretty well.

Not mentioned in this discussion, but by far the easiest to keep. The Bredli. He's heavy like a boa.

He's obviously pure Bredli, but he has some selective breeding goodies going on. 50% hypo plus genetic stripe and possible stone wash.

Finally there is the locality, Coastal. This is the Brisbane.
    I got her from Mike Pennell. Nick Mutton remarked that she has interesting coloring with more than average yellow. She's nothing unheard of for the locale, but she's very pretty and looks morph like to me in some ways.

She's not however, just a neat variation within the locale.

This is the locale that has the potential to get the largest. That said I don't anticipate this girl to be the exception.

I drifted a bit from the Diamond discussion because I think you can satisfy your craving with just about any type of Morelia. Weather is be Morelia Spilota " ",, " " or Morelia Bredli.

I know you have boas, so the next step is one of these beauties.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-01-2023),Homebody (03-01-2023),Mistery510 (10-28-2023),Nick_MD (03-01-2023)

Thanks
    Yes, all good with the drifting. Was looking into JCPs, but then the Diamonds really caught my eye. Not completely sold on JCP specifically - generally want a display quality subtype with care and size not too dissimilar from my boas. I appreciate all the pics you're providing.

Currently entertaining a trade offer of a JCP for one of my Barranquillas this Spring.

Which locale(s) are in the bottom pics with "the potential to get the largest"? What's the upper end of the range for those?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast