Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,572

1 members and 2,571 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Leopard gecko breeding questions

Quote Originally Posted by Erie_herps View Post
    This is all great! I really hope that you get lots of gecko babies.

Not to derail the thread too much but when you bred mealworms in the past how did you collect the mealworms? I have a mealworm colony but I don't want to pick out each mealworm one by one and I haven't been able to get a filter to seperate the mealworms from the substrate. Also, if you get an AFS be sure to get a captive bred one or give it a thorough health check in person. I had an AFS but it died due to phorid fly maggots a few days after I got it, which is my fault for not checking that before I bought it.
    I put egg cartons (paper, not styrofoam) in the containers slightly buried in substrate. A lot of the worms either climbed into the cartons or hung out just below them. When I wanted to collect some I lifted the cartons and grabbed a handful of worms. You have to act quick or they'll just burrow underneath again. What are you giving them to drink? I gave mine apple slices and they also liked to hang out under them. Repeat checking under the stuff everyday for 5 days or so and you'll get most of the worms out. You'll end up getting mostly worms, but also some bedding, which isn't an issue since you'll want to put them in the fridge with a bit of bedding anyway. Just find out where yours hang out. I purposefully left a few in and continued feeding them and everything. I found that they usually turn into pupae on the surface so it's a lot easier to take them out than the worms that burrow. And if you miss any of those, they'll turn into beetles which are easily moved to the breeding container, usually before they lay eggs. Anyway, hope this helps and good luck!

I will definately go for a captive bred scorpion (or mostly anything, for that matter ).
    My name is Josiah, proud owner of Lenetta and Lea the leopard geckos and Bluebelly the fence lizard.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lizrd_boy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-09-2022),Erie_herps (04-09-2022)

Thanks
    That's helpful. Thank you! I've been mainly feeding carrots and I can usually find a dozen around that. The next time I have worms I'll try these methods.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Erie_herps For This Useful Post:

Lizrd_boy (04-09-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 399 Posts
    For separating, look into what are variously called 'potting mix sieves', 'panning sieves' or 'classifier screens'. For sifting out adult worms, 10 holes/inch works well. Twenty holes/inch works ok for getting the frass out of mini mealies (I use a lot of these for hatchling geckos) but a lot of the oat bran I use for food stays with the worms, so feeding only as much as the worms will eat by the time they'll need to be sifted out is important.

Temporarily putting the worms into a container that is taller rather than wider makes the worms congregate on the surface which can make it easier to simply pull some out. I typically just prop the container (I keep small batches of a couple thousand worms in Kritter Keepers in a fridge) up on end and that's enough to do it.

FWIW, I'm not breeding them but just separating fairly uniformly sized worms from bedding and carrot pieces -- I buy sized worms, as I used 105,000 mealworms in the last six months of 2021 (I just checked my records -- holy cow ).

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-09-2022),Erie_herps (04-09-2022),Lizrd_boy (04-09-2022)

Thanks
    Thank you! I'm going to look into the sieves a bit more later but from what I found it looks like it would help. 100,000 mealworms is a lot, at my current rate I would use less than 10,000 mealworms in 6 months if I used them as a main staple (which I don't).

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erie_herps For This Useful Post:

Lizrd_boy (04-09-2022),Malum Argenteum (04-09-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    For separating, look into what are variously called 'potting mix sieves', 'panning sieves' or 'classifier screens'. For sifting out adult worms, 10 holes/inch works well. Twenty holes/inch works ok for getting the frass out of mini mealies (I use a lot of these for hatchling geckos) but a lot of the oat bran I use for food stays with the worms, so feeding only as much as the worms will eat by the time they'll need to be sifted out is important.

Temporarily putting the worms into a container that is taller rather than wider makes the worms congregate on the surface which can make it easier to simply pull some out. I typically just prop the container (I keep small batches of a couple thousand worms in Kritter Keepers in a fridge) up on end and that's enough to do it.

FWIW, I'm not breeding them but just separating fairly uniformly sized worms from bedding and carrot pieces -- I buy sized worms, as I used 105,000 mealworms in the last six months of 2021 (I just checked my records -- holy cow ).
    Well, that is a few, isn't it?
    Last edited by Lizrd_boy; 04-09-2022 at 05:28 PM.
    My name is Josiah, proud owner of Lenetta and Lea the leopard geckos and Bluebelly the fence lizard.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lizrd_boy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-09-2022),Erie_herps (04-09-2022),Malum Argenteum (04-09-2022)

Thanks

Sooooo... here we are a day after the estimated time Lenetta would lay, and there are no eggs laid. She did dig out all of her vermiculite in her laying box last night, so I think she's getting ready to lay, but I'm not sure. She is also more sensitive to me touching her (I bumped her on accident when I was checking on her and she tried bolting away). How would I know if she's egg bound? I don't really think she is but I want to know what to look for.

Thanks
    Everything sounds normal. Try to avoid doing anything like feeding, handling, or bothering her until her eggs are laid. To see when she lays her eggs you could look at her and see if she looks thinner or just check the lay box once or twice a day. I wouldn't worry about egg binding unless there are other symptoms like lethargy.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Erie_herps For This Useful Post:

Lizrd_boy (04-12-2022)

Thanks

Great, thanks! I'll check her once or twice a day until she lays. Kinda hard not to touch her since I can't see into her warm hide without moving it and I have to move her since I don't want to set it down on her tail, but I'll try not to touch her much.

For the past hour or so she has been sticking her head out her warm hide and closing her eyes. Does this mean anything? She does it sometimes anyway, but right now I'm hyper-observant lol

Thanks
    As long as you're not really stressing her out that should be fine. It sounds like she's just resting or basking, it doesn't sound like a sign of anything.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Erie_herps For This Useful Post:

Lizrd_boy (04-12-2022)

Thanks

Good news! Lenetta laid her eggs today! I saw her lay them and took them out immediately. I candled them right away and one looked fertile while the other didn't but I candled them 45 minutes later and the embryo was visible in both. So now I got three eggs in the incubator! While it was open I candled the one I already had and it was doing good. I could see several veins and there was a pinkish red glow.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lizrd_boy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-13-2022),Erie_herps (04-13-2022)

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast