Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,210

2 members and 3,208 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Leopard gecko breeding questions

Both eggs now have a visible embryo when I candle them.
    the one that had the embryo visible first has righted itself, and is now on the very top of the egg. The other one is like... 45 degrees to the left of the top. At what point would the embryo drown? Only at the very bottom or can it drown on the side too?

For now I just left it the orientation I originally found it in.
    My name is Josiah, proud owner of Lenetta and Lea the leopard geckos and Bluebelly the fence lizard.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizrd_boy For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (03-22-2022)

Thanks
    If it's at 45 degrees to the top I highly doubt it would drown. I think they will both hatch, that's super exciting!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erie_herps For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (03-22-2022),Lizrd_boy (03-22-2022)

Thanks

Awesome! I want to get Lenetta back with the male... she's in pretty good shape for a gecko that just laid eggs, and she ate 5 crickets and 10 mealworms yesterday (I'm out of feeders now... gotta run to the store) when should I put the male back with her?
    My name is Josiah, proud owner of Lenetta and Lea the leopard geckos and Bluebelly the fence lizard.

Thanks

Ummm so The humidity was getting low inside the incubator and I wasn't sure if it was affecting the reading on the thermometer and so I put a dish of water and in 10 minutes it was 113*. And hot to the touch. The incubation medium was not very hot and the air temp inside the box was 90 (which is a little higher than I was going for but not gonna kill them) I'm really worried and confused. What is up???!!!

Thanks
    She shouldn't need paired to the male again. If the first eggs are fertile all of the next ones should be too.
    It sounds like your incubator isn't working. It could be from the excess humidity. Are you keeping the eggs in deli cups or containers? If so you don't need to worry about humidity.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Erie_herps For This Useful Post:

Lizrd_boy (03-22-2022)

Thanks

Yeah they're in deli cups. I let the humidity out and moved the eggs into the hova-bator temporarily. I checked the thermostat with my multimeter and its working fine, so it's either that my 5vdc fan is too hot, or I have too many water bottles as thermal masses that let off too much heat. I still don't get why it worked for 24 hours and then got too hot with the extra humidity, though.
    Last edited by Lizrd_boy; 03-22-2022 at 12:01 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizrd_boy For This Useful Post:

Erie_herps (03-22-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lizrd_boy View Post
    Yeah they're in deli cups. I let the humidity out and moved the eggs into the hova-bator temporarily. I checked the thermostat with my multimeter and its working fine, so it's either that my 5vdc fan is too hot, or I have too many water bottles as thermal masses that let off too much heat. I still don't get why it worked for 24 hours and then got too hot with the extra humidity, though.
    I am by no means any sort of expert on thermostats or incubators, but I agree- I don't see how or why 'humidity' would influence your t-stat, but what about the length of time you had the incubator open, making adjustments (water bottles?) or observations? If I'm not mistaken, some kinds of t-stats might "react" aggressively (rather than incrementally?) to re-establish the temperature it was set for?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (03-22-2022),Erie_herps (03-22-2022),Lizrd_boy (03-22-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I am by no means any sort of expert on thermostats or incubators, but I agree- I don't see how or why 'humidity' would influence your t-stat, but what about the length of time you had the incubator open, making adjustments (water bottles?) or observations? If I'm not mistaken, some kinds of t-stats might "react" aggressively (rather than incrementally?) to re-establish the temperature it was set for?
    Yeah I'm thinking that was probably it. I let the thing run without the eggs in it and in 30 minutes it was back to normal. I put the eggs back in and the temp is pretty consistent -- between 87.9 and 90.5. This will give me males, which is what I was going for, although I wish the range was a little tighter.

Also, is there a specific humidity level I should get inside of the egg incubation boxes? I just mixed water to vermiculite at a 1:1 ratio by weight, and put it in an airtight container that I will check every 3 days or so.
    Last edited by Lizrd_boy; 03-22-2022 at 06:18 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lizrd_boy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-22-2022),Erie_herps (03-23-2022)

Thanks
    There isn't really a specific humidity that you need. Most of the time hygrometers will malfunction after a while at those levels. When you check it don't open the cups (assuming they are clear), it will let out humidity.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Erie_herps For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (03-23-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Erie_herps View Post
    There isn't really a specific humidity that you need. Most of the time hygrometers will malfunction after a while at those levels. When you check it don't open the cups (assuming they are clear), it will let out humidity.
    Wait, don't open them??? they are air tight so I thought I had to open them every 3 days or so briefly for airflow.

Also, I am the biggest IDIOT ever to walk the face of the earth. The reason the water was so hot was cuz it was from the "HOT" faucet. I AM SO STUPID. I totally forgot I AM SUCH AN IDIOT LOL. At least the eggs are probably fine

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast