Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 546

1 members and 545 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts

Re: Leopard gecko breeding questions

Quote Originally Posted by Lizrd_boy View Post
    I've noticed Rex has been staying in his humid hide when he's not exploring/hunting. I think that's because his humid hide is more secure feeling, but I'm concerned he's not getting warm enough since the bottom of the humid hide is thick ceramic, and that he's breathing too much water since it's a humid hide. I'm considering replacing it with a less secure tupperware container so he actually gets warm enough. What do you think?
    You're actually seeing him, we're not- so I'd say "trust your gut" on this. He has a separate "warm" hide that he's not using? Either find something else that's better suited, or another way to make his warm hide more cozy- ie. put something inside it to make it smaller & see if that helps him want to use it. (I've never used ANY hides that have a bottom- a "floor"- in them- all mine are open bottom because I use UTH.)
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

How do you use an open bottom humid hide???

Anyway, the humid hide is a Zilla rock lair, and it's small and dark so it would be hard for me to beat that. I think I'll just leave it for now and if I notice he has issues with it, I'll change it. I measured the temp and it's only like 83* inside the rock lair, when I want 90* in the warm hide where he spends most of his time.
    My name is Josiah, proud owner of Lenetta and Lea the leopard geckos and Bluebelly the fence lizard.

Thanks

The little guy’s tail looks a little strange and has since birth… just the patterning. Is there a specific term for this? Is it unusual?

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery//sh...mageuser=85563

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/sho...mageuser=85563
    My name is Josiah, proud owner of Lenetta and Lea the leopard geckos and Bluebelly the fence lizard.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizrd_boy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-08-2022)

Thanks
    Just the aberrant banding? Don't know about Leos (-if it means anything?), but markings in snakes typically vary.

Do you know the genetics of yours- are they all "normal" type? Because here's one with odd tail markings: https://www.morphmarket.com/us/c/rep...-geckos/779256

So maybe there is something going on??? But I'm just throwing that out there- not saying there is. I guess you'll "have to" keep breeding these guys to find out?

(Gosh, I'm a "bad influence", hahaha!)

Thanks

I don’t know the genetics of the female although I know that the male is normal. Usually leopard geckos have four or five bands on the tail and they fade as the gecko matures. Some geckos have different banding/striping, but they are different morphs. But usually they are more pronounced than this. So I don’t know if it’s a specific genetic trait or if it’s just something this individual happened to have and it doesn’t mean he’s any specific morph.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lizrd_boy View Post
    I don’t know the genetics of the female although I know that the male is normal. Usually leopard geckos have four or five bands on the tail and they fade as the gecko matures. Some geckos have different banding/striping, but they are different morphs. But usually they are more pronounced than this. So I don’t know if it’s a specific genetic trait or if it’s just something this individual happened to have and it doesn’t mean he’s any specific morph.
    It's most likely (IMO) just a random "nothing" but not sure anyone can say for sure. See what others w/ more Leo experience have to say though?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Lizrd_boy (06-09-2022)

Thanks

The other day the next two eggs hatched. I'll get some pictures later. The one has a really interesting pattern.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizrd_boy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-15-2022)

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718