Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,146

1 members and 1,145 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Breeding laws in Virginia

I’m trying to find out if you need a permit to breed BPs in Virginia? Specifically Hanover County. I’ve tried Googling but cannot fine ANYTHING that gives me a yes or no answer. If I have to call someone to find out the answer, who would I call? Department of Wildlife Resources? Tia!!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts
    Yes, your state's department of fish & game (sounds like "Wildlife Resources" is what your state calls it) should be able to tell you, but there could also be local (county & city) laws that prohibit things that the state doesn't, so it would be wise to check with all agencies.

I think we have some members in Virginia too, but no one "lives" here all the time. (I probably come the closest of anyone but I'm in another state.) I know how frustrating it can be trying to get straight answers about keeping herps- I had the same experience years ago, in another state, & I've found that many agencies (like "Animal Control") don't always have the big picture, they may only know what they typically see rather than all the information you might need. Anyway, herps are much more popular now than they were then, so that helps. Keep asking.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (03-11-2022)

Thanks

Re: Breeding laws in Virginia

Try here..... I didn't have time to read thru all of it

https://virginiaherpetologicalsociety.com/herplaw/

Here is Hanover, If you can decode this mess: I just copy and pasted, It's written all stuffed together like that....

Hanover
    Ordinance Chapter 4, Article III. Excerpt below. No person shall keep or permit to be kept on his premises any wild, exotic or vicious animal, unless that person shall have previously obtained a permit from the county for such animal, except that persons holding a category I, II, or III wildlife rehabilitation permit issued by the state department of game and inland fisheries may possess native wild animals for the purpose of rehabilitation pursuant to the conditions of their wildlife rehabilitation permit. Application for a wild or exotic animal permit or a vicious animal permit, and any amendments thereto, shall be made to the chief animal control officer on an application form prescribed by the chief animal control officer. The chief animal control officer has the authority to issue or deny permits for wild or exotic animals. A decision by the chief animal control officer to deny a permit may be appealed to the board of supervisors. The board of supervisors has the authority to issue or deny permits for vicious animals. Prior to deciding whether to issue or deny a permit for a vicious animal, the board of supervisors shall advertise and conduct a public hearing. For no less than two (2) weeks prior to the public hearing, the applicant for such a permit shall post a sign, provided by the chief animal control officer, on the premises where the animal(s) is proposed to be kept, providing notice of the application and the time, date and place of the public hearing. In addition, the applicant shall send the same information by certified mail to the owners of record of each adjacent property. No permit shall be approved by the chief animal control officer or the board of supervisors unless the applicant has demonstrated in the application: That the wild, exotic or vicious animal(s) will be securely enclosed at all times in a manner that is appropriate for the character of the animal; That the animal(s) will be provided with an appropriate habitat and be properly fed, cared for and handled; That the keeping of such animal(s) on the premises is consistent with the nature and character of the neighborhood; That the owner has obtained any federal or state permits required for possession of that particular species of animal(s); and That, for vicious animals, the owner has obtained a surety bond or liability insurance or bond in the amount of fifty thousand dollars ($50,000.00) which covers incidents or occurrences involving the vicious animal. The permit shall be nontransferable and subject to such conditions as are deemed necessary to assure the public safety and welfare and appropriate care of the animal(s). The permit shall list, by species and quantity, each wild, exotic, or vicious animal permitted to be kept on the premises, and shall authorize the applicant to keep only the animals identified in the application at the address listed in the application. Any permitted animal that dies or is sold or relocated out of the county may be replaced by an animal of the same species. Any additions, as a result of breeding of permitted animals or acquisition of additional wild, exotic, or vicious animals, shall require an amendment to the permit. No animal may be moved to another location within the county without prior issuance of a permit for the new location. Applications for vicious animal permits shall be accompanied by a permit application fee of three hundred dollars ($300.00). Upon notice and an opportunity to be heard, any permit shall be subject to revocation by the approving authority for any of the following reasons: Failure to comply with the terms of this section or the conditions of the permit; Falsification of any information on the permit application; or Violation of any local, state or federal laws applicable to animals. It shall be unlawful for the owner of any wild, exotic or vicious animal to allow such wild, exotic or vicious animal to run at large in the county. It shall be the duty of the animal control officer or other officer who finds any wild, exotic or vicious animal running at large in violation of this section to take such wild, exotic or vicious animal into custody.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (03-11-2022),Bogertophis (03-11-2022),nikkubus (03-11-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: Breeding laws in Virginia

I am in Spotsylvania county and have to research the laws. Thanks for the link! Glad there is no HOA where I live. That would be concerning too .
    Stay in peace and not pieces.