Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,195

2 members and 3,193 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Bought as pied possible leopard. Anyone confirm this is a pied and not “ringers”?

Just bought this male to pair with my female normal het pied. Seller said low white pied possible leopard. What do you guys see in him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Python brongersmai (Blood Python) 1.1.1
    Python Curtus (Sumatran Short-tail Python) 1.1
    Python Regius (Ball Python) 4
    Liasis mackloti savuensis (Savu Python)
    Morelia harrisoni x (Mcdowelli x Bredli) 1.0

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    Some bits of side pattern do have a little bit of a Leopard look to them but this is a combo I'm not super familiar with and would have a hard time IDing. The places where the side pattern connects to the dorsal have a different look than plain Pied, especially the 6" or so near the tail, and then again where the neck connects to the bulkier part of the body.

Maybe someone more familiar with this particular combo can chime in about some other tells.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (03-10-2022),BillyBloodPython (03-10-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: Bought as pied possible leopard. Anyone confirm this is a pied and not “ringers”?

Great looking reptile. Can the sellers give you any more info on the pairing that produced this? Can you tell us anything about the parentage? Could you give a photo of the belly/ underside of this guy/ gal? There has been quite a bit of controversy about the leopard gene and piebald. Whether or not all leopards are het for piebald. You don’t hear or see many leopard balls with ringers. Some may disagree. Years ago it was believed that the leopard was derived from a Spider piebald (spied). That seems to still stand today. I’m leaning to the pied and possible leopard as you purchased it as. Would still like more corroborating photos of the belly and see how that could help. I think overall the actual leopard piebald is a brighter individual comparatively.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 03-10-2022 at 02:51 PM.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

BillyBloodPython (03-10-2022),nikkubus (03-11-2022)

Thanks

Re: Bought as pied possible leopard. Anyone confirm this is a pied and not “ringers”?

This is a leopard pied I produced two years ago. The pairing was a coral glow leopard 100%het pied to a visual pied. Brighter but also not questionably low white.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

BillyBloodPython (03-10-2022)

Thanks

This is a leopard 100% het pied that I produced 2 years ago from the same clutch. Coral glow leopard 100% het pied X piebald
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 03-10-2022 at 05:29 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

BillyBloodPython (03-10-2022),nikkubus (03-11-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    Great looking reptile. Can the sellers give you any more info on the pairing that produced this? Can you tell us anything about the parentage? Could you give a photo of the belly/ underside of this guy/ gal? There has been quite a bit of controversy about the leopard gene and piebald. Whether or not all leopards are het for piebald. You don’t hear or see many leopard balls with ringers. Some may disagree. Years ago it was believed that the leopard was derived from a Spider piebald (spied). That seems to still stand today. I’m leaning to the pied and possible leopard as you purchased it as. Would still like more corroborating photos of the belly and see how that could help. I think overall the actual leopard piebald is a brighter individual comparatively.
    Thanks a lot for the info on leopard gene, very interesting indeed. The crossing that made this snake was leopard spider pied (you mentioned that leopard may have come from spider pied, interesting) x het pied. I will upload a picture of the belly this evening.

Because leopard may have originated from spider pied, does it transfer any of the wobble genes in your experience?
    Last edited by BillyBloodPython; 03-10-2022 at 10:31 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BillyBloodPython For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (03-10-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBloodPython View Post
    Thanks a lot for the info on leopard gene, very interesting indeed. The crossing that made this snake was leopard spider pied (you mentioned that leopard may have come from spider pied, interesting) x het pied. I will upload a picture of the belly this evening.

Because leopard may have originated from spider pied, does it transfer any of the wobble genes in your experience?
    My apologies, I got that spied (spider pied) information wrong. It was the leopard gene being tied to the visual piebald gene by Greg Graziani and his work with leopards years ago.

I have never kept any reptile with the spider gene personally but I’m pretty sure that all versions of the spider gene have some form of wobble. The degree of wobble is very variable in individual animals.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 03-10-2022 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Correction of previous statement.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

BillyBloodPython (03-11-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    My apologies, I got that spied (spider pied) information wrong. It was the leopard gene being tied to the visual piebald gene by Greg Graziani and his work with leopards years ago.

I have never kept any reptile with the spider gene personally but I’m pretty sure that all versions of the spider gene have some form of wobble. The degree of wobble is very variable in individual animals.
    Here is that belly shot you were asking for

Towards the tail is a patch of non white right up to the tip

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BillyBloodPython For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (03-11-2022)

Thanks

Wow! That definitely looks like a clean piebald belly! It does look somewhat yellow colored or maybe it’s the lighting or the camera. I wonder if this guy is a yellowbelly also. Wow! Thanks and the more I look at him I’m thinking Leopard Pied. The typical splattered alien heads in the leopard of which he only has a few towards the lower third of his body. You see them pretty defined in the leopard 100% het pied that I pictured. Piebald and leopard both being pattern disrupters. That’s a handsome male you got there.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 03-11-2022 at 11:56 AM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

BillyBloodPython (03-11-2022),nikkubus (03-11-2022)

Thanks

Thanks a lot for this. I am planning to match him to a het pied female that I’m raising up. Maybe we can see if he really carries leopard. The seller once had it listed as paradox. Could the leopard be paradox?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast