Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,135

2 members and 3,133 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: Wiggles, the Children's Python

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    I'm considering taking Wiggles outside tomorrow, but I'm concerned about the reception he'll receive from my neighbors. The weather should be beautiful, sunny, 85 degrees, but I live in a city and the only outdoor space I have is a public park. I imagine I'll encounter both people that are terrified of snakes and those that can't keep their hand off them. Frankly, I doubt the UV and pretty pics are worth the drama, but maybe my imagination is running away with me.
    It's generally a bad idea to show up with a snake where you know people won't expect to see one & where some may be terrified of them- you also might run into rules or legal issues being in a public park. (I've heard of someone being harassed for being in violation of the "leash law", despite the fact that no snake can keep a collar & leash ON.) While it's lots of fun to share a snake with most people, I'd suggest finding a quiet out of the way area so as not to cause a scene. And it won't end well if Wiggles decides to nip someone- are you sure this won't be an issue? Nothing like a bite to make snakes even more hated & feared.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,164 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    It's generally a bad idea to show up with a snake where you know people won't expect to see one & where some may be terrified of them- you also might run into rules or legal issues being in a public park. (I've heard of someone being harassed for being in violation of the "leash law", despite the fact that no snake can keep a collar & leash ON.) While it's lots of fun to share a snake with most people, I'd suggest finding a quiet out of the way area so as not to cause a scene. And it won't end well if Wiggles decides to nip someone- are you sure this won't be an issue? Nothing like a bite to make snakes even more hated & feared.
    UV and pretty pics would be my goal, not making friends. I wouldn't let anyone hold him. I'd prefer it if they didn't see him, but I don't think I can avoid that. It's a public park on a sunny day. There will be lots of people.

Thanks

UV and pretty pics would be my goal, not making friends. I wouldn't let anyone hold him. I'd prefer it if they didn't see him, but I don't think I can avoid that. It's a public park on a sunny day. There will be lots of people.
    Well, good luck- I hope it goes well.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (05-20-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Well, good luck- I hope it goes well.
    I've decided against it. I'm working on building trust in our relationship and I don't think this would be an activity that Wiggles would enjoy. Maybe later when our relationship is on firmer ground and he's exploring outside his enclosure more confidently.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-22-2022)

Thanks

I've decided against it. I'm working on building trust in our relationship and I don't think this would be an activity that Wiggles would enjoy. Maybe later when our relationship is on firmer ground and he's exploring outside his enclosure more confidently.
    Probably just as well- it could go either way. He might enjoy it, or he might be freaked out- he might feel inspired to run away, or he might look to you as his "safe harbor". I take my snakes outside in my yard now & then with proper temperatures, & they seem to enjoy all the scents in the fresh air. But your snake is still pretty new to you.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (05-22-2022)

Thanks

I made an adjustment to Wiggles's basking temps and it resulted in a dramatic change in his behavior. I started off keeping his basking temps between 85 and 90 degrees, the same as I did for my ball python. But I noticed that Wiggles wasn't behaving the way I had been told a Children's Python would behave. He was docile and easy to handle. I had been told he was bitey. He was feeding regularly, but he wasn't food aggressive. Lastly, he wasn't very active. He didn't climb. If he was out of his hide, it was only to bask. He spent most of his time in his warm side hide and he never used his cool side hide. Frankly, he acted a lot like my ball python and I was a little disappointed.

At first I reasoned that he was settling in. He would come out of his shell once he adjusted. But he didn't. Since he was spending so much time on the warm side, I decided to go back and review my temps. I have an Excel sheet of basic care parameters part of which I've copied below. After reviewing them, I decided to try bumping my basking temps up to between 90 and 95 degrees.

The result was dramatic. He stopped spending so much time in his warm side hide. He began to climb and explore his enclosure. He became much more food aggressive, and so, a little trickier to handle. He would surf the glass begging to be fed or maybe let out (I'm not always sure what he wants when he does that). In short, be became the snake I had hoped he would be.

Later on, I saw a Lori Torrini video where she describes an similar change in her Children's Python when she raised his temps. Now, I'm not saying I disagree with the lower temps suggested in some of the care guides above. I'm just saying that warmer temps seem to be working better for Wiggles and me.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-03-2022)

Thanks

I'm pleased to report that Wiggles has been making use of his entire enclosure. Since the enclosure is divided between an upper terrarium and a lower tub, I was curious to see which he would favor. The enclosure was originally designed for a ball python. Ball pythons being shy creatures I thought my BP would appreciate the security the opaque tub provides. But I also knew my BP liked to escape from his previous tub, so I have him the terrarium as a safe place for him to escape to. It worked wonderfully for my BP, but I wasn't sure it would work as well for Wiggles, my Children's python.

As a semi-arboreal species, I expected Wiggles to favor the terrarium. Children's pythons are also not a shy species, so I was concerned that the tub would be a waste of space. But after 3 months, I can say he's using both. I often see him in his terrarium hiding, basking, and exploring. I can't see him in the tub, but sometimes when I spot clean, I'll see him in there. I also find his feces and urates in there. It's tough to say where he spends more time since I can only see him in the terrarium, but I think where he spends his time may change with the seasons.

In the Spring, I think he favored the terrarium. His basking spot is there, so it's warmer there. As Summer approaches, I've noticed him spending more time in the tub. I think he's seeking the cooler temperatures there. I expect as the weather warms, he'll spend more time there. In the Fall, I expect he'll start favoring the terrarium again, but we'll see.

Anyway, I'm happy to see him making use of the entire enclosure. I was concerned that an enclosure designed for a Ball python wouldn't be ideal for a Children's python, but so far, it appears to be working even better than I'd hoped.
    Last edited by Homebody; 06-09-2022 at 11:42 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-09-2022)

Thanks
    Great observations ^ ^ ^ and I think it really shows how much snakes appreciate & NEED choices to be at their best.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (06-09-2022)

Thanks

The kid's legal now!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-14-2022)

Thanks

The kid's legal now!
    Just curious, was there a fee required for that?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (06-15-2022)

Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast