Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,053

1 members and 2,052 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts

Re: Wiggles, the Children's Python

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    That's good to hear because "socialization" is one of my favorite things to do...
    Mine too!
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (04-13-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,177 Times in 1,174 Posts

Last night was feeding time. I took one look at Wiggles and I knew there was going to be trouble. When I brought the warmed up mouse into the room, he was already surfing the glass. I managed to open his enclosure without being bitten. Picked up the mouse with my tongs, but before I could turn around, he launched himself out of his enclosure. It's a good thing it sits on the floor or the fall might have hurt him. I tried to lure him out from under the enclosure but failed. He crawled behind the bookcase, his favorite spot. I tried to lure him from there, but gave up and decided to wait him out. I didn't want to feed him out of his enclosure anyway. After a short while, he came prowling out, still looking for the mouse. With gloved hands, I scooped him up and returned him to his enclosure where he ate readily from the tongs.

I don't know what it is. Maybe, having settled in, he's becoming more bold. Maybe, it's the warmer weather, but his food drive is definitely getting stronger.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Ailuros (04-21-2023),AutumnVanilla (04-14-2022),Bogertophis (04-14-2022),EL-Ziggy (04-21-2022)

Thanks

Last night was feeding time. I took one look at Wiggles and I knew there was going to be trouble. When I brought the warmed up mouse into the room, he was already surfing the glass. I managed to open his enclosure without being bitten. Picked up the mouse with my tongs, but before I could turn around, he launched himself out of his enclosure. It's a good thing it sits on the floor or the fall might have hurt him. I tried to lure him out from under the enclosure but failed. He crawled behind the bookcase, his favorite spot. I tried to lure him from there, but gave up and decided to wait him out. I didn't want to feed him out of his enclosure anyway. After a short while, he came prowling out, still looking for the mouse. With gloved hands, I scooped him up and returned him to his enclosure where he ate readily from the tongs.

I don't know what it is. Maybe, having settled in, he's becoming more bold. Maybe, it's the warmer weather, but his food drive is definitely getting stronger.
    When any snake is ready to "launch" for a meal, never open the enclosure unless in one hand, you have the prey held with tongs, ready to offer ("put it in his face") immediately. And try not to let him grab the tongs...

Aren't you glad this isn't a LARGE python? (But he missed that memo...) My Spotted python is a "quick feeder" too- these are bold snakes, not BPs.
    Your snake is normal & healthy- this is just "who he is"- expect this from now on.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-14-2022 at 11:16 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (04-14-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    When any snake is ready to "launch" for a meal, never open the enclosure unless in one hand, you have the prey held with tongs, ready to offer ("put it in his face") immediately. And try not to let him grab the tongs...
    Good advice.
    Aren't you glad this isn't a LARGE python? (But he missed that memo...) My Spotted python is a "quick feeder" too- these are bold snakes, not BPs.
    Your snake is normal & healthy- this is just "who he is"- expect this from now on.
    It called to mind the stories I've heard of retics launching themselves out of their enclosures. That's not for me. I love my little monster but a big monster is too much monster for me.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-14-2022)

Thanks
    I'm with you...no "launching retics" for me either, though I've fed more than my share of large colubrids, a large BCI, & rattlesnakes, all of whose appetites & enthusiasm can be formidable too.

You'll want to avoid a feeding bite from this Children's python at all costs- assuming he's like my Spotted python, he not only wraps firmly, he won't be talked out of whatever he catches. These are surprisingly strong snakes for being so little.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-14-2022 at 11:50 AM.

Thanks

I'm with you...no "launching retics" for me either, though I've fed more than my share of large colubrids, a large BCI, & rattlesnakes, all of whose appetites & enthusiasm can be formidable too.
    I can see why people love the retic attitude. I just prefer it in a more manageable-sized package.
    You'll want to avoid a feeding bite from this Children's python at all costs- assuming he's like my Spotted python, he not only wraps firmly, he won't be talked out of whatever he catches. These are surprisingly strong snakes for being so little.
    I'm learning. Hopefully, I won't have to learn the hard way.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-14-2022)

Thanks

I can see why people love the retic attitude. I just prefer it in a more manageable-sized package.

I'm learning. Hopefully, I won't have to learn the hard way.
    You now have the perfect little snek to practice on. (And you couldn't PAY me to take in a retic...)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (04-14-2022)

Thanks

Last week, he tries to eat me, then, launches himself out of his enclosure at the mere smell of a mouse. This week, he refuses to eat. I guess I'll figure this guy out at some point, but I sure haven't yet.
    Last edited by Homebody; 04-21-2022 at 04:23 PM.

Thanks

Last week, he tries to eat me, then, launches himself out of his enclosure at the mere smell of a mouse. This week, he refuses to eat. I guess I'll figure this guy out at some point, but I sure haven't yet.
    When did he last shed? That's the only time mine refuses, & even then it's not always. Remember, they know a shed is coming before we can see the signs. So I wouldn't worry.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (04-21-2022)

Thanks

When did he last shed? That's the only time mine refuses, & even then it's not always. Remember, they know a shed is coming before we can see the signs. So I wouldn't worry.
    That was my first thought as well, so I checked. His last shed was March 29th. Seems too soon for another shed, but he's young. Could be. I'm not worried, not after one missed feeding, but I am interested. I could see he wasn't hungry. At least not ravenous like last week. I briefly considered holding off, but he's a Children's python. They never refuse. Oh well, live and learn.

Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast