Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 616

2 members and 614 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Re: Wiggles, the Children's Python

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    I screamed like a little girl. My son was standing right next to me. Soooo embarrassing. Just three pin pricks at the base of my index finger. Shaving nicks hurt more.
    So much for setting a good example & not scaring your son... Yeah, those tiny teeth DO hurt. That's why it's better to "communicate" & pay attention to what your snake is thinking.

Another thing you can do- if you need to reach in to change the water or do a spot clean & see your snake "stalking you"- use your other hand with a large piece of cardboard to just block their way- they don't usually fight their way around it, they just take the hint. If they're in their hide, block the doorway before they come out. See? You don't need to be a pin-cushion to keep snakes- nothing to prove here.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (04-13-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,179 Times in 1,175 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    So much for setting a good example & not scaring your son... Yeah, those tiny teeth DO hurt. That's why it's better to "communicate" & pay attention to what your snake is thinking.

Another thing you can do- if you need to reach in to change the water or do a spot clean & see your snake "stalking you"- use your other hand with a large piece of cardboard to just block their way- they don't usually fight their way around it, they just take the hint. If they're in their hide, block the doorway before they come out. See? You don't need to be a pin-cushion to keep snakes- nothing to prove here.
    I just need to learn to read Wiggles better. When he's obviously hungry, I'll need to take additional steps, like the ones you've suggested, to avoid taking bites. Two years with a fully mature BP, didn't prepare me well for avoiding bites.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-13-2022)

Thanks

I think the bite also indicates that Wiggles has settled in and he's more comfortable with his new environment. His previous owner warned me that he sometimes mistakes fingers for food. Until now though, I haven't seen that. Generally, I haven't seen the food aggression for which Children's Pythons are famous. So, I'll take the bite as a positive sign that Wiggles feels safe and secure enough to let his personality show.

Thanks

I just need to learn to read Wiggles better. When he's obviously hungry, I'll need to take additional steps, like the ones you've suggested, to avoid taking bites. Two years with a fully mature BP, didn't prepare me well for avoiding bites.
    BPs aren't the most "outgoing" snakes, that's for sure. Aussie pythons, on the other hand... They may be little, but they don't seem to know that. Sorta like Chihuahuas.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (04-13-2022)

Thanks

So much for setting a good example & not scaring your son...
    I did show him the bite after I'd washed it and explained that my cry was more from surprise than pain.
    Last edited by Homebody; 04-13-2022 at 10:55 AM.

Thanks

BPs aren't the most "outgoing" snakes, that's for sure. Aussie pythons, on the other hand... They may be little, but they don't seem to know that. Sorta like Chihuahuas.
    With my BP, I would warm the rat with a hair dryer and make it dance the mambo, and still rarely got a strike. So, the strong food drive of the Children's Python is going to take a little getting used to.
    Last edited by Homebody; 04-13-2022 at 10:59 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-13-2022)

Thanks

I did show him the bite after I'd washed it and explained that my cry was more from surprise than pain.
    Good save... I hope this snake isn't one of the "stubborn ones" that keep trying to eat hands, as that won't be much fun. You might be taking some more bites- the previous owner probably just quit trying to handle him so the snake never learned to distinguish.

...His previous owner warned me that he sometimes mistakes fingers for food...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-13-2022 at 11:13 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (04-13-2022)

Thanks

With my BP, I would warm the rat with a hair dryer and make it dance the mambo, and still rarely got a strike. So, the strong food drive of the Children's Python is going to take a little getting used to.
    It really depends on the BP- they have their own personality, but I agree, most of them have far less food drive. They're "introverts"-

I've never needed to warm the prey for my Spotted python- that should tell you something. Aussie pythons- "extroverts"!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (04-13-2022)

Thanks

I think the bite also indicates that Wiggles has settled in and he's more comfortable with his new environment. His previous owner warned me that he sometimes mistakes fingers for food. Until now though, I haven't seen that. Generally, I haven't seen the food aggression for which Children's Pythons are famous. So, I'll take the bite as a positive sign that Wiggles feels safe and secure enough to let his personality show.
    What it tells me is that he needs more "socialization". He knows how to be a snake, but not how to be your pet. He can do both, trust me.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (04-13-2022)

Thanks

What it tells me is that he needs more "socialization". He knows how to be a snake, but not how to be your pet. He can do both, trust me.
    That's good to hear because "socialization" is one of my favorite things to do. I spend some time with him almost every night. Usually, we play sniff and retreat. Sometimes, we crawl around the living room. I don't handle him much, but my kids do during his weekly enclosure cleanings. I'm confident that, in time, we'll learn to avoid this type of misunderstanding. If not, well, I've got gloves.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-13-2022)

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast