Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,064

1 members and 3,063 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 17 of 35 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,164 Posts

Re: Wiggles, the Children's Python

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    @ Homebody- that's another thing Wiggles would like to play (climb) on- an empty laundry basket (as long as all the holes are a safe size- nothing he can get stuck in). And it seems he's already shown a propensity for doing laundry...
    I've heard that snakes like soft surfaces. I'll have to add some to his enclosure and activity center.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (09-24-2022),Bogertophis (08-02-2022)

Thanks

I hope he's at least a little contrite today? LOL
    Contrite? I don't think so. Ungrateful little punk was begging to get out three hours later.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (09-24-2022),Bogertophis (08-11-2022)

Thanks

Your wife is afraid of that little worm? Hey, at least he's FOUND!
    I feel like I have to set the record straight. I got the full story when I got home. She wasn't afraid of him. She was afraid for him. She was in the laundry room in the basement of our building when she found him. She was afraid to move because she didn't want to startle him. If she lost him again there, he'd be even harder to find.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (09-24-2022),Bogertophis (08-02-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    Contrite? I don't think so. Ungrateful little punk was begging to get out three hours later.
    Hate to say it but you've "created a monster" hahahaha! Sure hope he doesn't take to rubbing his nose raw while pushing to leave home for another excursion.

Yes, some snakes do seem to like soft things too- a clean un-matched sock that you don't need just might make his day?

Even some snug (clean) boxes are enjoyed- one of my young (4') rat snake ladies like to curl up in empty Kleenex boxes. And if you have some various small clean boxes, you can cut little doorways w/ an Exacto knife & join them together for a "maze"- I've done that for young rat snakes before, & they LOVED it, always peeking out of different holes. Of course when it gets dirty, it goes, but it's just one more "toy" challenge for them.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (08-02-2022)

Thanks

Target Training Update

Last night's target training went really well. For both feeders, he moved his whole body a short distance to the target before I fed him. I'd say this puts him at stage 4. Stages 5, 6 & 7 basically entail making him travel progressively further to the target before he's fed. I'm confident we can do that.

The reason I'm so excited is that two weeks ago he didn't really react to the target at all, so I just fed him with the target present (stage 1). I started to doubt my ability to do this, but, then, last week, I was shocked when Wiggles struck at the target twice. I realized, "Ah, so you do know what the target means." Armed with that realization, I was much more patient this week. When I presented the target, Wiggles just stared at me. I said to myself, "Be patient. He knows what the target means." It was only a couple minutes before he broke. He started to move toward the target. I fed him when he reached it. It went the same with the second feeder.

My problem was that I lacked the confidence to be patient. I've never done this before. It's easy to doubt that I'm doing it correctly. I see now that I am doing it correctly, and Wiggles is progressing. Armed with that confidence, I know I'll have the patience necessary to see Wiggles through the final stages of his training and I'm very excited about that.
    Last edited by Homebody; 08-04-2022 at 09:16 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-04-2022)

Thanks

Handling as Negative Reinforcement

I’ve noticed that Wiggles avoids doing things that lead directly to being handled. That’s why he no longer goes in the forbidden gap (post #59). When I open his enclosure now, he still heads over to the gap. He explores it with his head and neck, but he doesn’t go in. I monitor his behavior pretty closely. So, when he does this, I move my chair a little closer so I can grab him if I need to. When I do this, he withdraws immediately and looks at me. I imagine him saying, “I was just looking. I wasn’t going to go in there.” His fear of being handled, in that moment, is palpable.

When I say fear, I don’t mean terror. He doesn’t strike at me. He just doesn’t want to be handled. It’s like if you drive too fast through a speed trap. You’re afraid you’re going to get a ticket. That fear of being handled has proven to be an effective teaching tool.

During last night’s activity session, Wiggles made a beeline for the hallway where I keep my laundry cart. That’s where I eventually found him after I lost him a couple weeks ago and, as a result, where he’s no longer allowed to go. Just before he reached the threshold, I scooped him up and put him back on his activity station. From there, he made a beeline for the hallway again, and again, I scooped him up and returned him to his activity station. I don’t know how many times we did this, 3, 4, maybe 5 times, but, eventually, before he reached the threshold he stopped on his own, sat there for a minute or two and went back the way he came. I hope, eventually, he’ll learn to keep himself in the living room and I won’t have to intervene so often.

This got me to thinking, “How do I feel about Wiggles’s perception of my handling as negative reinforcement?” It turns out I’m totally o.k. with it. I think I differ from a lot of keepers in that I’ve never really enjoyed handling all that much. When I had a bp, who is the undisputed king of handling, I found that what I enjoyed the most was when he climbed off my shoulders and started exploring. By giving him the freedom to explore on his own, I was able to learn what he liked and what he didn't. I got to know him personally. When he passed, I decided to get a snake that was more active and inquisitive. That he was less handleable didn’t bother me.

Now, I know that negative reinforcement is a limited tool. Tickets don’t stop people from speeding. Wiggles will get accustomed to my handing, but I’ll happily use it as long as it’s effective.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-11-2022)

Thanks

Another Nice Activity Session

Last night, Wiggles completed five laps around my living room and, when he'd had enough, he put himself away. He was hanging out on his branches when I went to refresh his water and replace his ice block. When I was done, I just laid down in front of his enclosure to watch him. He stopped by to give me a sniff before climbing out onto the top of his enclosure. Over the course of a lap, he'll climb my house plants, surf the screen of the open window, climb down off the window sill into a large fern, crawl under one end table, behind my couch, under the matching end table, and finally head for the door. There I tap him, scoop him up, and return him to the activity station on top of his enclosure. Last night's session was particularly satisfying because my daughter was there and it was she who scooped him up at the end of each lap. I just love sharing the joy I get from playing with Wiggles with others. It was also satisfying because Wiggles was able to end the session when he'd had enough.

It was funny to me how it ended. On the fourth lap, I could see he was getting tired. He stopped to rest in the fern, under the couch and in the wicker basket on the second end table. So when I scooped him up, I thought he'd return to his enclosure. I'm pretty confident that he knows how to get back into his enclosure from his activity station. He's done it before. He did start for the enclosure entrance, but surprised me by heading out for another lap. I'm not sure if he tried to return home and just got confused, or if he changed his mind and just decided he wanted to go for another lap. Either way, on lap five he didn't dawdle. He raced through it. I think he was eager to get home. Sure enough, at the end of it, he quickly and confidently put himself away.

It was a prototypical activity session. He started it; he was active but also safe during it; and when he'd had enough, he ended it. I know they won't all go this well. Wiggles and I still have a lot to learn, but I expect good quality sessions like this one to one day become the norm.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-24-2022)

Thanks
    That's awesome! I think he's trying to redeem himself after giving you such a scare when he disappeared recently-

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (08-24-2022)

Thanks

I think he's trying to redeem himself after giving you such a scare when he disappeared recently-
    I dunno. From Wiggles's point of view, last night was five more failed attempts to escape via the laundry cart, but it's o.k. I know that one day the love and admiration I have for him will be mutual.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    ... I know that one day the love and admiration I have for him will be mutual.
    That I've gotta see- I have some doubts. (Not that you aren't deserving, just that will be .)

Personally, I'm happy just to have these essentially-wild animals feel comfortable & safe with me. I wouldn't really call it love or admiration though.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 08-24-2022 at 01:50 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (08-24-2022)

Page 17 of 35 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast