Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 543

1 members and 542 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

Concerned about my tokay's tail

When I bought my tokay, he had recently dropped his tail and has been growing it back for a past month. At first, the very tip was short and and pink in color but now the tip of his tail is very dark in color, and is noticeably different from the rest of the tail. I have never seen what a tokay gecko tail is supposed to look while its growing and with the lack of images on the internet, I have no idea if what I am seeing is supposed to be expected or not. Although his tail isn't completley black, I heard that a dark or black colored tail end can indiciate tail rot or necrosis. I am really worried that he might have it and if he does, I don't know how far along the infection would be by now. To make matters worse, all of the reptile vets in my area are booked solid until the beginning of April, meaning that I can't get him in there and I am bassically on my own right now. I have considered the possibility of to remove the tail myself just in case, but I don't know how risky that is. I am really worried about losing my tokay gecko and I have no idea what I should I do right now.
    Last edited by DistantParsec13; 03-09-2022 at 03:56 AM.

Thanks

Re: Concerned about my tokay's tail

Another photo:
    https://ibb.co/dWptG2j

Thanks
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,363 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It is a little hard to tell for certain from your photos, but from what I can see I don't feel concerned. It is normal for tail regrowth to be a different color than the original tail, or to be dark in color.

I would recommend that you keep your gecko on paper towel substrate while its tail regrows in order to avoid any infection or complications.

I also notice a fair amount of what looks like mold in your substrate (or is that calcium powder from dusted insects?). Definitely replace the substrate and get that cleaned up for the health of your little one.

Check here if you still need help finding a vet: https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661
    - Emily

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mlededee For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (03-09-2022),Bogertophis (03-09-2022),Homebody (03-09-2022),Malum Argenteum (03-09-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DistantParsec13 View Post
    I have considered the possibility of to remove the tail myself just in case, but I don't know how risky that is.
    Definitely don't do that. The tail honestly looks fine to me. I've seen some geckos regenerate tails that look like that. You can also try GeckosUnlimited.com for more advice, but I think it's pretty normal from what I can see.

a Necrotic tail will become stiff, hard at the end, will shrivel and pretty much die.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Andiamo For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-09-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andiamo View Post
    Definitely don't do that. The tail honestly looks fine to me. I've seen some geckos regenerate tails that look like that. You can also try GeckosUnlimited.com for more advice, but I think it's pretty normal from what I can see.

a Necrotic tail will become stiff, hard at the end, will shrivel and pretty much die.
    I agree, I've seen "dead" tail tips on herps before & that looks to me to be a typical regenerated (live & normal) tail to me too.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (03-09-2022)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,875 Times in 824 Posts
    Another person the say don't touch it!

A regenerated tail will never be what the old tail was. The color will never be quite right. And sometimes even the shape is wrong. As long as it isn't developing a hard crust I don't understand why necrosis even became a concern?
    Any tail will be soft and pink while the regeneration is taking place. The coloration comes secondary to the actual growth. Like the difference in a hatchling and adult.

Here's a couple examples I found showcasing tail difference in regrowth. The first being a very dark looking regrowth. The second being a tail broken twice and how different the skin looks on both regrown bits along with now making him have 2 tails.
    https://images.app.goo.gl/eiNG8s5nm7mngukd6

https://images.app.goo.gl/Mw2DWzunUG6kQPU4A
    Last edited by Armiyana; 03-09-2022 at 03:22 PM.