Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,073

0 members and 3,073 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Installing light for heat temporarily until RHPs come in...help?

I'll keep this short and quick as I had a long explanatory post but this site logged me out during typing and lost it...thanks a lot.

Anyways, what type of socket to install in a pvc 4x2x15" until my Pro Products rhps come in? Do I just get any old round base porcelain socket from Lowes and mount it directly to the roof or is there any kind of metal bracket I install first and then attach the socket to that? I have some BR30 65w flood light bulbs that came with another snake's setup. Can I use those or is there something better?

Also, where should I place the probe on these seed starting thermostats until my rhps come in and I eventually buy another Spyder Robotics unit to control them? I put one on another snake's 4x2x15" I bought that had a red bulb (I took it out and put one of those BR30 65w bulbs in it instead) and put it directly under the bulb, but she keeps laying on top of it or scooting it out of the way. Should I just mount it on the wall, a few inches off the ground directly to the side of where the bulb projects the light to and then compare the floor temp reading with my infrared thermometer to what the thermostat reads and just adjust the setting accordingly so I know her hot spot is at 90 regardless of what temperature the probe reads? My brain says that will get the hot spot to 90 and get no hotter even if the probe is reading 86, because it's reading more of an ambient temp. Yes, I know using a non dimming thermostat on a bulb isn't the best setup, but I'm not concerned about the life of a cheap bulb being shortened, I just want my snakes to live their best life with proper heat.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,179 Times in 1,175 Posts

Re: Installing light for heat temporarily until RHPs come in...help?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt300zxt View Post
    I'll keep this short and quick as I had a long explanatory post but this site logged me out during typing and lost it...thanks a lot.
    I advise you to retype your long explanatory post and add some pics. The more information we have the better advice you'll receive. This shortened version of your post has me confused.
    Last edited by Homebody; 03-08-2022 at 03:26 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (03-08-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,179 Times in 1,175 Posts

Re: Installing light for heat temporarily until RHPs come in...help?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt300zxt View Post
    Anyways, what type of socket to install in a pvc 4x2x15" until my Pro Products rhps come in? Do I just get any old round base porcelain socket from Lowes and mount it directly to the roof or is there any kind of metal bracket I install first and then attach the socket to that? I have some BR30 65w flood light bulbs that came with another snake's setup. Can I use those or is there something better?

Also, where should I place the probe on these seed starting thermostats until my rhps come in and I eventually buy another Spyder Robotics unit to control them? I put one on another snake's 4x2x15" I bought that had a red bulb (I took it out and put one of those BR30 65w bulbs in it instead) and put it directly under the bulb, but she keeps laying on top of it or scooting it out of the way. Should I just mount it on the wall, a few inches off the ground directly to the side of where the bulb projects the light to and then compare the floor temp reading with my infrared thermometer to what the thermostat reads and just adjust the setting accordingly so I know her hot spot is at 90 regardless of what temperature the probe reads? My brain says that will get the hot spot to 90 and get no hotter even if the probe is reading 86, because it's reading more of an ambient temp. Yes, I know using a non dimming thermostat on a bulb isn't the best setup, but I'm not concerned about the life of a cheap bulb being shortened, I just want my snakes to live their best life with proper heat.
    Until I get more information, my first thought is to scrap the light bulb idea and install a UTH, but then again, I don't know what your ambient temperatures are. I don't know what substrate your using. I don't even know what species of snake you have. So, you see? We need more information.
    Last edited by Homebody; 03-08-2022 at 03:37 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (03-08-2022),Malum Argenteum (03-08-2022)