Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,926

1 members and 1,925 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

View Poll Results: which one is a better beginner lizard

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • bearded dragon

32 29.63%
  • leopard gecko

74 68.52%
  • green water dragon

2 1.85%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Good first lizard?

hi, im interested in getting a lizard as a first reptile, but i've heard about alot of good first-time lizards. which one do you think is best. in reptiles magazine they say a green water dragon is a good beginner lizard if you like iguanas but are a beginner.
    ~Courtney

BPnet Veteran ballpythonandragon's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Good first lizard?

1.leopard geckos 2. bearded dragon my choices and suggestions Aaron
    don't have any reptiles apartment says no.

Thanks

I voted for a leopard gecko because I have bearded dragons and know from experience, they are not a beginner lizard contrary to what books and media say. They are very expensive to feed as babies, and often eat upwards of 50 crix in one feeding 3 times a day. The lighting they need is very expensive and must be replaced every 6 months at minimum to continue to have a sufficent UVB level, unless you go with mega ray bulbs, and thats pretty pricey to start. I also have had leopard geckos, they are very easy. It is best to go with a very beginner lizard so you can see if you really like keeping reptiles, esp. before investing the big bucks on something like a dragon. Another option for you thats easy, like a leopard gecko, are african fat tail geckos, I currently have a pair of those and they are just like leopard geckos in care.
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks

I agree on Leos as a first choice. I bet Jeanne might tell you a good second choice would be a Mali Uro! Man I love mine..He is just awesome. He actually glares at you if you wake him up before 11AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jglass38
    I agree on Leos as a first choice. I bet Jeanne might tell you a good second choice would be a Mali Uro! Man I love mine..He is just awesome. He actually glares at you if you wake him up before 11AM.

Hmm... I dont know that a uro is a good choice just because of initial cost in the beginning for someone so young. They too require lighting like beardies, only a hotter basking area. Although, they are not as expensive as beardies to raise, they dont need bugs cept for every now and again, and even then, occassionally. They eat the same greens my beardeds do. And I think the trick to keeping them is to provide a wide variety of greens like you would a bearded. The only other thing I can think of with them too, is the fact that they can hurt ya with the spines on thier tails when they get to whipping them around at ya.

But I got to agree with you Jamie, they are AWESOME! Mine also gets upset if he is woke up before noon. Grumpy dude he is if you wake him too early.
    *Jeanne*

Thanks

Though we havent kept leos we've had Iguanas and Water Dragons - both of which offer more initial challenges than you would think given how widespead and low-cost they are. I'd go leo.

"I don't FEEL tardy . . ."

Thanks

Or an african fat tail gecko! I would say those are a great 2nd choice beginner lizard.
    *Jeanne*

Thanks

Jeanne, I agree that it isnt a good first choice and wasn't aware that she is young. they are awesome though. Not particularly colorful (Malis at least) but they are just so funny. Mine just destroys his greens and loves the occasional mealie or cricket. Then he will go full days without ever coming out and eating. Very odd sometimes but fat and happy.

Thanks

By the way, I just recently got my first Leos and they are very cool. They are a bit thin and were just wormed so hopefully they fill out soon but they are a lot of fun.

Thanks

I think Crested geckos are even better than leos. Their set-up is easier: they don't require any heat, nor do you have to feed them crix if you use the Crestie MRD. They get just as tame as leos, too, if you interact with them enough.

I'm not biased or anything

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast