Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,015

2 members and 3,013 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

Cool Hey all, first time bp owner here!

I just bought a pair of mystics, in hopes of breeding them in a year or two for something fun and exciting to do, I’m also in the middle of starting one of many reef tanks if anyones into that feel free to hit me up and talk about reef stuff!

Im curious about something and haven’t found anything online, does it stress your snakes out if you turn a light on at say 9pm to grab something out of their room or put something in, and maybe hangout and watch while they’re actually out of their hides for a few minutes? I just want happy snakes, so I’d like to know if I can get away with such things. ��
    Last edited by Ergot; 03-01-2022 at 07:23 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,184 Times in 1,177 Posts

Re: Hey all, first time bp owner here!

Quote Originally Posted by Ergot View Post
    does it stress your snakes out if you turn a light on at say 9pm to grab something out of their room or put something in, and maybe hangout and watch while they’re actually out of their hides for a few minutes?
    Yes, it stresses your snake. How much? That will depend on your how bright your light is, what you're doing in it's enclosure, and most importantly, your snake's personality.
    Last edited by Homebody; 03-01-2022 at 09:35 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-24-2022),Ergot (03-01-2022)

Thanks

I used to feed my bp at night under dimmed red LED lights and it didn't seem to affect him, but he was very chill for a bp. He didn't even ball up when I handled him for the first time at a crowded expo.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    Yes, it stresses your snake. How much? That will depend on your how bright your light is, what you're doing in it's enclosure, and most importantly, your snake's personality.
    Gotcha, kind of figured as much. I'm probably going to get a nightlight and see if that gives me the light I need while only being "moonlight" to the snakes, but really I try to only go in there to feed them or if I forgot to put something away or bring it back out with me. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    I used to feed my bp at night under dimmed red LED lights and it didn't seem to affect him, but he was very chill for a bp. He didn't even ball up when I handled him for the first time at a crowded expo.
    The female I've got seems to be really laid back, she's out at 7pm every night just checking stuff out, fed them for the first time yesterday and it was her first meal after fasting for a couple months and she didn't even notice the food over me for the first minute or two, too busy figuring me out. lol. The male is a scaredy cat, couldn't get him to eat but my buddy said he's laid the rat on him in a hide and checked a couple hours later and he ate it, so might try that next week. haha
    Last edited by Ergot; 03-01-2022 at 11:11 AM.

Thanks

I'm probably going to get a nightlight and see if that gives me the light I need while only being "moonlight" to the snakes...
    Moonlight is a worthy goal but tough to achieve. See this recent thread about lighting.

The female I've got seems to be really laid back, she's out at 7pm every night just checking stuff out, fed them for the first time yesterday and it was her first meal after fasting for a couple months and she didn't even notice the food over me for the first minute or two, too busy figuring me out. lol. The male is a scaredy cat, couldn't get him to eat but my buddy said he's laid the rat on him in a hide and checked a couple hours later and he ate it, so might try that next week. haha
    So, maybe, keep the lights out of the male's enclosure until he feels more secure.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Ergot (03-01-2022)

Thanks
    Oh nice, warm white w/ dimmer. roger that!

Maybe I'll put a plant in front of it as well so it has to cut through leaves and branches too.
    Last edited by Ergot; 03-01-2022 at 11:36 AM.

Thanks
    Picked this up, drops to as little as 1 lumin

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07TD...KIKX0DER&psc=1

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ergot For This Useful Post:

Homebody (03-01-2022)