Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,000

1 members and 2,999 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Ball python not eating, Temperature change

So I have an albino male Ball Python. I know BPs are notorious for being finicky eaters, but in he has never missed a meal (though he will only take live). But I've tried to feed him twice now this week, and he's refused. When I checked, his ambient temperature in his tank dropped to 75 degrees F when it previously sat at 81 degrees. I'm not sure what caused this temperature drop. His lamp and heat mat seem to be working normally and his bedding isn't wet.

His hot spot sits at around 81 degrees with belly heat directly over the mat sitting at 90 degrees. I went ahead and raised his lamp to 85 degrees to see if I can get the ambient temp up. He's not acting any differently. He curls up in his hide during the day and comes out at night like normal which makes me think it's the sudden shift in ambient temperature.

How long after I get the heat up in the tank back to his usual 80 range before I can try feeding him again? Should I try again later today? Tomorrow?
    Last edited by DeadJackrabbit; 02-28-2022 at 06:31 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts
    Don't keep trying to feed after your snake refuses. Wait at least a week before you try again (& after the temps. are fixed!) & if that fails for a couple weeks, go to 2 weeks between tries.

Reason? You'll stress your snake with continuous offers once he has declined, & make him LESS likely to accept food. He won't starve- snakes are 'designed' to eat sporadically, & fast at times.

75* isn't that low, as long as his warm side is about 86-89*. But once a snake feels a significant drop in temperature, ESPECIALLY when the days are shorter (in winter), don't be surprised if they start refusing to eat- their instincts protect them from dying in the wild.

A snake "caught" suddenly with undigestible food in their gut can actually die from that in the "real world"- they simply cannot digest without additional heat to facilitate the chemical reactions (aka "digestion"). This is why those who breed snakes must have them fast for a while before they enter brumation- to make sure they aren't still digesting any food while they're kept cooler.

So while it may not be convenient for you, your snake knows what he's doing- even if it makes no sense to you.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-28-2022 at 07:06 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (02-28-2022),Malum Argenteum (02-28-2022)

Thanks

Re: Ball python not eating, Temperature change

All right, thanks I'll just keep an eye on his temperature and humidity, then. I'm worried, but I suppose as long as he's behaving normally and seems content as far as I can tell, he's fine. Luckily he doesn't seem stressed and is still his lazy curious self.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DeadJackrabbit View Post
    All right, thanks I'll just keep an eye on his temperature and humidity, then. I'm worried, but I suppose as long as he's behaving normally and seems content as far as I can tell, he's fine. Luckily he doesn't seem stressed and is still his lazy curious self.
    They are far from lazy

Put two or three or more branches in there and he will climb around them in the evenings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

He does have one branch that he likes to lounge on at night but I can't fit anymore in until I finish saving up money to get him a larger tank. Just got a better paying job and I can't wait to use the extra money to build a nice big terrarium for him.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DeadJackrabbit View Post
    He does have one branch that he likes to lounge on at night but I can't fit anymore in until I finish saving up money to get him a larger tank. Just got a better paying job and I can't wait to use the extra money to build a nice big terrarium for him.
    Can’t you fit another one going in the opposite direction right next to the other branch

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Can’t you fit another one going in the opposite direction right next to the other branch

not really, my current set up is pretty sad right now, actually. It's only a 30 gal and he never uses his cold hide so I took it out to try and give him more room. I wanna get him a 60 gal once I get my first paycheck and buy a bunch of new things like hides and branches and a bigger water dish. Just turned on his humidifier to get the tank back up to 60% humidity since it was a little low in this picture.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DeadJackrabbit For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (03-03-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

The set up looks nice. I see you have the enclosure floor filled with cypress mulch. Is the 81F reading the ambient temperature or is there a probe attached to that thermometer? Can you get a accurate reading with your ir temp gun inside the hide and the floor temperature under the hide?
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-03-2022)

Thanks

Yeah, the thermometer you see there is the ambient temp. Right now it has fallen to 73* because it’s a cold day out. His hot side is sitting at 84* with belly heat at 90*

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DeadJackrabbit For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (03-04-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Is the 90F temp on the glass floor of the hide? Or is it the temp on top of the cypress mulch in the hide?
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-04-2022)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast