Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,152

2 members and 3,150 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Space per rat?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    How much room they need very much depends on the quality of airflow and how often you want to change their litter out, and to some extent how large overall the enclosure is. I like using the really large mason tubs for rats, and 2 adult females per plus their litter seems to work pretty well for me. Adult males are being rotated through females, but if you have a smaller breeding operation, you will need a tub just for the couple of males when not with females breeding. Growout tubs isn't something you should need much of unless you are feeding a very large snake, as "weaned" rats are really not quite weaned and small is about the size they should be when leaving the moms and needing separated by sex at 6 weeks. If you are trying to feed something large like an adult boa, or retic or something like that, you could get away with 5-6 juvenile rats per tub so long as they don't have any young.

If you use smaller tubs like labs use, you will need a tub per female because of the room the babies take, and can probably only fit 2-3 juveniles per tub and they will need cleaned very often.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (02-23-2022)

BPnet Veteran BallPythonWannaBe's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Space per rat?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    More height (8"+) is desirable for rats, because the adults have a long reach when they stand up, AND because when they get bored, they'll be chewing on the top if they can easily reach it. Not so much if it's awkwardly higher over their heads. It sounds as if you're planning to build these cages? Keep in mind that they need to easily reach the over-head food hopper, IF you're incorporating that design. (& I recommend it- it's the only way to keep their food clean & with less waste.)
    Any suggestions on height? I was thinking 14 inch, would that be too short? All of my bins are pretty tall so I haven't thought about height much. I used bowls for maybe the first day and they hid it all so everyone has hoppers now lol
    "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live"
    -J.K Rowling Sorcerer's Stone
    Long time no see, back at it again in my white vans.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    14" for height would work fine, IMO.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

BallPythonWannaBe (02-23-2022),nikkubus (02-24-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BallPythonWannaBe View Post
    Yes, I'll be building them. They'll be wire with metal pans and 6" bedding guards. I'm just doing one so far to see how I like it compared to my bins. Ideally they'll be stacked with front opening doors, slide out pans, an auto watering system, and feeders that fill from the outside. I'll likely melt holes in some dollar tree sandwich containers and use those as a sort of side hopper.
    I'm pretty sure they'll chew right thru your sandwich container "food hoppers"-such plastic is not even a challenge! Bear in mind that rats can chew thru bricks, & like (need) to file their teeth. (I wouldn't waste the sandwich containers, lol.)

Food hoppers for rats must be sturdy metal bars- look at professionally-made lab cages . What MIGHT work: the welded-metal-bar suet-holders sold for bird-feeding?
    Something along this line:
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-24-2022 at 01:11 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (02-24-2022),nikkubus (02-24-2022)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 827 Posts
    Definitely would not take long with plastic.... or wood.
    For the suet holders...A design based around it isn't a bad idea. But in my experience, the holders they sell they tend to be kinda cheap and never quite close right. But it could just be the brands I'm familiar with? Also you need to be careful about how wide the bars are. Some of them aren't very close and I've seen a young guinea pig get stuck in one once when we tried using it to keep the hay a bit neater at a pet store I worked. Nothing serious though, we just had to help him squeeze his head back out after he calmed down

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-24-2022),nikkubus (02-24-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Armiyana View Post
    Definitely would not take long with plastic.... or wood.
    For the suet holders...A design based around it isn't a bad idea. But in my experience, the holders they sell they tend to be kinda cheap and never quite close right. But it could just be the brands I'm familiar with? Also you need to be careful about how wide the bars are. Some of them aren't very close and I've seen a young guinea pig get stuck in one once when we tried using it to keep the hay a bit neater at a pet store I worked. Nothing serious though, we just had to help him squeeze his head back out after he calmed down
    I hesitated to suggest the suet holders, because as you said, most are cheaply made -or coated in plastic which will get eaten by rats, & I'd also worry about them cutting their mouths on sharp wire edges that stick out. As far as rats opening one, that's an easy fix though- the squirrels here used to open mine* until I used a wire twist to "lock" them. A paper clip, key ring, spring clip- many things could be used to keep one shut. (*I'm not using them for rats- I feed the birds in winter & the squirrels are thieves. )

This is the sort of reason I like to stroll thru home improvement stores, looking for ideas to use things creatively.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-24-2022 at 05:50 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (02-25-2022),nikkubus (02-24-2022)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 827 Posts
    Yeah I got into the habit of using carabiner clips. Sometimes the ones you twist but usually just the spring loaded ones with my ratties. They were very good at figuring out how to open the cage doors. Lol.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-25-2022)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12