Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,882

0 members and 2,882 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Corn snake stained from a Betadine Bath?? Will it go away?

Hi, I have a hatchling palmetto corn snake who's tip of his tail has a bit of tail rot. A palmetto corn snake is mostly white (leucistic) if you don't know. And I did research that a short soak in a Betadine solution 2-3 times a day, and then some Neosporin can help treat it while I'm waiting to get into a vet. (Vets are booked out 2-3 weeks where I live). I soaked him in a Betadine solution that was I'd say 1 part betadine to 5 parts water. And I let him soak in that for about 5 minutes I'd say. And now he's a yellow snake.... And I'm sure you all know how beautifully white Palmetto's are supposed to be. I'm really scared that this stain is permanent. He just shed yesterday, which is when I noticed the tail rot.

If he's just going to be yellow until his next shed, I can live with that, but if I've permanently stained him.... I'll be devastated. Will it go away with time? Or is this permanent. He's currently a 27 gram sized corn snake hatchling.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I don't think you have permanently stained him- only until his next shed. Meanwhile, enjoy his new look. Most snakes don't get to do wardrobe changes, & personally, I love yellow snakes.

BTW, you should not have soaked the whole snake for just his tail tip issue- that would have avoided this altogether. Just soak his tail tip next time.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-20-2022 at 02:12 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (02-22-2022),Luvyna (02-20-2022)

Thanks

Re: Corn snake stained from a Betadine Bath?? Will it go away?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I don't think you have permanently stained him- only until his next shed. Meanwhile, enjoy his new look. Most snakes don't get to do wardrobe changes, & personally, I love yellow snakes.

BTW, you should not have soaked the whole snake for just his tail tip issue- that would have avoided this altogether. Just soak his tail tip next time.
    Yeah, I will only do the tip of his tail next time. It's just that hatchling corn snakes are really squirmy, and getting him to stay still to let me soak it long enough.... is a little difficult. I didn't realize it would stain him with the full bath. But I've learned my lesson.....

Thanks
    I know how squirmy little corns can be, I've raised corn snakes for years. I'm mostly a colubrid keeper, though I've had BPs in the past.

Best way is to let him cozy into your hand & with the other hand gently immerse his tail into the solution. OR, soak a cotton ball & apply to his tail tip.

Try to settle him down some first- try cupping him in your hands (make like a cave). Or let him cling to a small branch & dip the tail end.

Snakes pretty much hate baths because there's usually nothing for them to hang onto- no traction is scary for all snakes, & it makes them panic because without traction, they cannot escape. See?

You also don't want them drinking medicated (or soapy) water in a "bath".
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-20-2022 at 05:41 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (02-22-2022),Luvyna (02-20-2022),richardhind1972 (02-20-2022)

Thanks
    As stated above it's unlikely you permanently dyed him and I agree with the advice to just soak the tail tip next time

For the tail rot I just wanted to double check, are you ensuring that your snake's tail tip is coming off with the rest of the skin when he sheds? Just wanted to make sure that the tail rot is not actually the tail dying because layers of unshed skin are restricting the blood flow since you said you noticed it with his last shed.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-20-2022),Homebody (02-22-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    For the tail rot I just wanted to double check, are you ensuring that your snake's tail tip is coming off with the rest of the skin when he sheds? Just wanted to make sure that the tail rot is not actually the tail dying because layers of unshed skin are restricting the blood flow since you said you noticed it with his last shed.

Unfortunately that's likely to be what is going on here. Young corn snakes can easily lose their tail tips this way, & while it may appear to be some sort of "scale rot", I wouldn't be surprised if the tail tip falls off with the next shed. I really hope the OP keeps that vet appointment, because a snake losing a tail tip is actually much more of a concern that a little yellow coloration on their scales.

JPNLKT: The tail tip soaks may help to loosen any unshed skin there, plus the antiseptic use may help prevent infection if there's any skin breaks, but be VERY careful about removing it. Also, it's better not to use Neosporin ointment (or use VERY little) as it tends to mess up future sheds- a better choice is Vetericyn ointment made FOR reptiles- it's water-based, not petroleum-based, & won't mess up their scales/skin.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-20-2022 at 08:59 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (02-22-2022),Luvyna (02-20-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    As stated above it's unlikely you permanently dyed him and I agree with the advice to just soak the tail tip next time

For the shed he did yesterday, it was a complete perfect shed, from head to tail. With the tail sealed on the end. The previous shed he had wasn't perfect, and I ended up soaking him after waiting a few days and pulling what I thought was everything off. I do not recall him having any stuck shed on his tail between that shed and this one, but he does have a damaged tip of his tail. Maybe he injured it? Either way, I'm hoping the betadine + neosporin treatment helps.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Unfortunately that's likely to be what is going on here. Young corn snakes can easily lose their tail tips this way, & while it may appear to be some sort of "scale rot", I wouldn't be surprised if the tail tip falls off with the next shed. I really hope the OP keeps that vet appointment, because a snake losing a tail tip is actually much more of a concern that a little yellow coloration on their scales.

JPNLKT: The tail tip soaks may help to loosen any unshed skin there, plus the antiseptic use may help prevent infection if there's any skin breaks, but be VERY careful about removing it. Also, it's better not to use Neosporin ointment (or use VERY little) as it tends to mess up future sheds- a better choice is Vetericyn ointment made FOR reptiles- it's water-based, not petroleum-based, & won't mess up their scales/skin.

Oh, ok, I'll look into that. I just got the betadine and Neosporin because that's what the research I found said to use. I am aware he most likely will loose that tip of his tail, but it is only 1 to maaaybe 2 milimeters in, and really unnoticeable unless you're really looking. I am concerned about infection spreading, so I do want to get him into a vet to assess him. I'll try calling vets tomorrow. I wanted to do it today but no vets are open on sunday where I live besides ERs.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JPNLKT For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-20-2022),Luvyna (02-21-2022)