Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,932

3 members and 2,929 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts
    No, I wouldn't worry about it- just stick with one hopper. Snakes don't take the same amount of time between sheds when growing- they can have growth spurts (& slow-downs) just like we do.

Nature generally knows what it's doing- just be patient. That was the only thing I could think of- I didn't mean to make you worry though. See, every once in a while, we find out that someone thinks they're feeding the right size, but they're not & they're way underfeeding without realizing it. You're not, so "stick with the program".
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Stofey (02-08-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: Fogger, yes or no?

[IMG]Aqueon Versa Top Hinged Glass Top 4.1 (924) OverviewVideosStoresReviewsDetails Main Results Image Carousel Image 1 of Aqueon Versa Top Hinged Glass Top Image 2 of Aqueon Versa Top Hinged Glass Top[/IMG]

Available @ Petco, PetSmart.

Remember the tops are matched with the gallon size of your enclosure. Hope this helped.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 02-09-2022 at 11:08 AM.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-09-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    [IMG]Aqueon Versa Top Hinged Glass Top 4.1 (924) OverviewVideosStoresReviewsDetails Main Results Image Carousel Image 1 of Aqueon Versa Top Hinged Glass Top Image 2 of Aqueon Versa Top Hinged Glass Top[/IMG]

Available @ Petco, PetSmart.

Remember the tops are matched with the gallon size of your enclosure. Hope this helped.
    Good idea for another (best) way to retain humidity, but just FYI- as one who has lived (& bought glass tanks) in different parts of the country- let me just suggest that anyone thinking about buying such a top for their aquarium to...

first- measure your actual glass tank to make sure that top will fit correctly. If you can, double-check the brand of your aquarium, because as I've personally discovered, the dimensions of different brand tanks of the same capacity may NOT be the same.

Just know that a 40 or 50 gal. (ie. any size) tank of one brand may not have the same measurements as one from another brand. One may be a little longer with a little less width, or vice versa. I know because when I moved across country, I brought my tops only, rather than trying to ship so many glass tanks (you wouldn't believe the cost estimates I got!) & assumed I could just buy new tanks on which they'd fit, but no such luck....

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-09-2022),Homebody (02-09-2022),Luvyna (02-09-2022)

Thanks

I thought I was able to get a regular normal link but I wasn’t. Sorry. I just figured you could use the search bar when you went to the website. Just in case.

Thanks

Personally I have one, but it's set has both a thermostat and humidity monitoring. What I did was drill a hole in my plexiglass and screen, and stuck the hose in the back corner. I see it to right before the point you see steam, it may run longer, but you don't see the smoke. My BP hasn't had a partial shed since I added it. Again, this is just what I do, if I didn't my tank humidity was in the low 40's due to the Ceramic heater on top.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dzydvl For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-15-2022)

Thanks

Another option is to just consider “misting” on a daily basis as part of your routine husbandry checks. The versa top makes it easier to maintain.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 02-15-2022 at 02:18 PM.

Thanks

I will say that I was misting the tank about 3 times a day to no avail.

However, I should add that tonight I lifted his hide and VOILA! A full shed, curled up right under the hide. So, this being his feeding day, I took him out and he quickly snapped up a hopper with no hesitation! He must've shed within the last day or two and I skipped last weeks feeding because his eyes were milky and he couldn't see so he was a bit extra hungry this week.

However, I do have a question. I added a new log that is just a small ceramic one. Not really a hide, just sort of something he can skate under when crossing his tank as there was a huge bare spot. I felt better putting it in so that he could get from his hot hide to his cold hide without being seen.

I'm curious, do new decorations cause a bit of stress? When I put him down in his tank tonight (Shortly before feeding) He began rubbing his head on things like his tree and water bowl (not the ceramic log). He did investigate the ceramic log a bit before continuing to rub his head on his branch. I always worry, but he did eat just fine and his shed was completely full.

Could it be that this is residual since he JUST finished shedding? Or could it be stress? When should I start to worry?

Sorry, I'm a worry wart and I can't help it!

Thank you!

Thanks
    Congrats on his "shed & fed". Usually more cage furnishings elicit curiosity & a better sense of security- not stress. Have you checked his shed skin to make sure he got ALL the old skin off his head? How about his chin, around his mouth? How about his eye-caps? Because I think that would be a more likely reason for him to be rubbing his head. How about mites? Any mites around making his head itch? (check closely around his eyes, chin, nostrils- sometimes they leave a bit of old skin in their nostrils too.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Congrats on his "shed & fed". Usually more cage furnishings elicit curiosity & a better sense of security- not stress. Have you checked his shed skin to make sure he got ALL the old skin off his head? How about his chin, around his mouth? How about his eye-caps? Because I think that would be a more likely reason for him to be rubbing his head. How about mites? Any mites around making his head itch? (check closely around his eyes, chin, nostrils- sometimes they leave a bit of old skin in their nostrils too.)
    I tried to get a close look, but I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary :/ I wonder if it may have been because he was hungry and he was stressed because of that? As I said, I hadn't fed him since his eyes were milky so he missed a week and usually gets fed weekly since he's young. After he was rubbing, I was thawing a mouse and he did start investigating the new log a little bit before I fed him. He snapped it up way faster than usual for him.

Thanks
    Another reason he might have rubbed his face is that he might have gotten water in his heat-sensing pits when he drank (or from the fogger, come to think of it).

If this had been AFTER he ate, I've often seen snakes rub their face after they eat- and I assume that's instinctive, to remove the scent of prey from their face. (If a snake happened to come face to face with another snake in the wild & his face smelled like prey, you can see how that might not end well, because snakes trust scent more than eyesight. And since snakes normally swallow prey head-first, that means the last part of the rodent they swallow is the stinky end that can leave more scent on their face- rodents use their urine to scent mark, btw.)

Anyway, I'm out of ideas, so...don't worry about it. Snakes can do random things too. Just to confuse us...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast