Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,967

0 members and 2,967 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    BPnet Veteran BallPythonWannaBe's Avatar
    Thanks

Question Bin Vs Wire cages (Rats)

So I haven't posted here in quite awhile but I'm about to start breeding rats. I have four coming on Sunday. I know I'll be needing more cages and I cringe at the thought of more tanks. So I'm trying to decide between plastic bin cages or these sort of rabbit cage looking wire ones. I can't seem to upload pictures here so I'll link the thread where I saw them. I would love to do a regular rat rack but I don't have the tools and gave up the one time I tried to make one because I got too frustrated lol I'm fine working with wire though. I could use metal pans for the wire cage as well if needed. Thoughts?
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...and-Mice-in-VA
    "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live"
    -J.K Rowling Sorcerer's Stone
    Long time no see, back at it again in my white vans.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    With wire cages, you'll have the rats kicking shavings, food & feces all over the place. Personally that wouldn't be my choice- I've always used "lab" cages for rodents- the hard plastic bottoms with the strong wire bar tops that have places to hold food & a water bottle suspended overhead.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

BallPythonWannaBe (02-04-2022),Homebody (02-05-2022)

Thanks
    BTW, if you're new at keeping or breeding rodents- trust me, you only want to use water bottles that have the metal tubes with metal balls inside to keep from dripping- you never give them a water bowl, unless you want to clean it up & refill it every hour. They tend to put stuff in it- as if it's a drowning danger to their babies. And food doesn't work in bowls or on the cage floor either- they'll contaminate it with feces & urine in no time at all. In "lab cages", the food & water stays up & out of their way, & most of all, clean-so they stay healthy & you don't waste food or your time.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-05-2022),BallPythonWannaBe (02-04-2022),GoingPostal (02-05-2022),Homebody (02-05-2022)

Thanks

Re: Bin Vs Wire cages (Rats)

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    BTW, if you're new at keeping or breeding rodents- trust me, you only want to use water bottles that have the metal tubes with metal balls inside to keep from dripping- you never give them a water bowl, unless you want to clean it up & refill it every hour. They tend to put stuff in it- as if it's a drowning danger to their babies. And food doesn't work in bowls or on the cage floor either- they'll contaminate it with feces & urine in no time at all. In "lab cages", the food & water stays up & out of their way, & most of all, clean-so they stay healthy & you don't waste food or your time.
    I'll be using bottles and food hoppers, I'd definitely be worried about water bowls being in there. I'm new to rodents but I've raised rabbits for a long time and a few things cross over. One being that bowls suck, and water systems are superior (when they work right).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BallPythonWannaBe For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-05-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Great that you’re in Va. I’m going to have to check you out with a order soon. I’ll be in touch.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Thanks

https://ibb.co/tx4wr0k
    Decided to go with bins for now. Do some rats have problems eating through 1/2 " wire hoppers? They seem to be eating but I'm worried they're not getting enough through.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BallPythonWannaBe View Post
    https://ibb.co/tx4wr0k
    Decided to go with bins for now. Do some rats have problems eating through 1/2 " wire hoppers? They seem to be eating but I'm worried they're not getting enough through.
    I think it IS more difficult for them- with the typical lab cages, each gap is narrower, but very long, so the lab blocks are more accessible, IMO. A half inch square doesn't allow the rats to reach as much of the blocks- only when the blocks sit at a certain angle for a corner to fit in the gaps.