Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,926

2 members and 2,924 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Bredli Breeding Questions

Hey all, first time post-er, long time lurker here! I have a female I had thought was gravid but she should have laid by now and it's making me wonder if what I had been feeling as 4 distinct egg shaped bumps might not be anything at all or what's keeping her from laying.. She would officially be 45 days POS there's not a ton of info out there so I was hoping maybe some folks in this forum could help answer a couple questions. Is the time from POS to egg laying typically 30 days or is it possibly longer in this species? I'm still feeling the eggs pretty high up from the cloaca (roughly the last "egg" in line feels to be about 4" up). I can't feel any of the "eggs" touching or see any indication to this she is egg bound. Is there anything I can do to help her along if she should in fact be laying by now?

Top is both parents male is 6.6 lb female is 16.4 lb bottom left was what I perceived as ovulation and bottom right was one of 4 confirmed locks
    https://i.redd.it/hs6g3nangq581.jpg

This was about a month ago when I was thinking she would lay any day:
    https://i.redd.it/z3dmwsjngxa81.jpg

And this was 2 weeks ago both photos she has the bottom one third of her body elevated closer to the heat source
    https://i.redd.it/mlxnzqr92xc81.jpg

Any thoughts, advice ETC are greatly appreciated!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tropiclikeitshot For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-04-2022),Homebody (02-04-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: Bredli Breeding Questions

There are many well versed Bredli breeders that will chime in to help you investigate this. I really can’t but I did find this:

[IMG]

important aspects of breeding Carpet Pythons is cooling; they need very cold nights for about 6 weeks during winter time. Also,

you have to make sure the females are in perfect condition, not overweight and not too skinny. I start the cooling process on

about the 1st of June and it continues until about the 15th of July. This means that on the 1st of June I switch the heat in both

the male and females cages off completely at night, I do not drop the temperature slowly for a while. During this

process the temperature sometimes drops to about 10 degrees during the night. Don't worry about the snake getting sick if it

is too cold, as long as it has heat during the day it will be fine, so don't forget to turn the heaters back on each morning so that

the cage reaches about 32 degrees on the hot spot. As with breeding all pythons, a good thermal gradient is very important.

On the 15th of July, I stop the cooling process and allow the heating to remain on through the night, again, as with cooling, I

don't start the warming process up gradually, I just switch over. During the cooling process I do not feed the snakes but a few

days after I turn the heaters on again throughout the night, I start to offer food once again. Initially I offer small food items and

then go bigger from there at subsequent feedings. Mating Jungle Carpet Pythons mating Jungle Carpet Pythons Mating Jungle

Carpet Pythons usually mate a bit later than Irian Jayas Carpet Pythons but I start to introduce all species of Carpet Pythons at

the same time. I am not too concerned about whether to introduce the male to the female's cage or the female to the male's

cage as I have found that they will mate no matter where they are. The male can be placed with more than one female and he

is introduced on a one night on, one night off schedule, alternating between the different females. I usually put them together at

night and separate again the next night unless they are mating again. I will continue to introduce them over the next 6 or 7

weeks until I see that there is no more interest. The females will ovulate during this time and you can usually easily see this.

Ovulation and Egg Laying Female Carpet Python ovulation Female Ovulation The female will start to go stiff in the lower part of

her body and will then have her pre-lay shed. You can expect eggs about 20 to 30 days after the pre-lay shed. Usually during

this time I get the incubator ready and make sure the temperature is perfect, at about 31 to 32 degrees. Any type of incubator

will work adequately; the most important thing here is to keep the humidity high and the temperature right. Female Carpet

Python incubating eggs Female incubating eggs You don't have to worry about removing the water or supplying a nest box in the

female carpet python's cage, although a nest box may make her feel more secure. When the eggs are dropped, the female will

curl around the eggs and try and incubate them herself. I wait for her to finish laying completely and then remove the eggs. Be

careful when removing the eggs because even a docile snake will bite at this time! Incubation Carpet Python Eggs Eggs in

incubator If the eggs are stuck together I usually separate them and place them in the incubation tubs and place the tubs in the

incubator. You can also leave the eggs stuck together, I just prefer to have them separated. IMPORTANT: Make sure that when

you remove the eggs and place them in the vermiculite that they remain in the same position as they were laid (do not tilt them

or turn them over). Any changes in position can be detrimental to the baby's development. Once the eggs have been removed,

ensure that you clean the female's cage very well, try to remove the smell of the eggs or else the female will lie and twitch,

thinking there are still eggs to incubate and during this time she will not eat. You may offer her a small meal during this time.

The eggs will incubate for about 55 to 60 days. Hatching Cutting Eggs Cutting Eggs Once the first eggs start to hatch, I carefully

cut the rest of the eggs with a sharp scalpel or pair of scissors – just a small flap will be fine and make sure you don't cut too

deep when doing this. I do this to ensure that all hatchlings have the opportunity to leave the eggs without problems as some

babies may be lost if they cannot cut themselves out from the egg. It is best to leave the babies alone and wait for them to

come out of the eggs in their own time. While they wait to come out of the egg, they absorb the last of the yolk and if they are

bothered or rushed out of the egg, they will leave the yolk and try to escape. This last bit of yolk is very important for the

hatchlings and they will do much better and shed and eat much faster if they are left to absorb all of the yolk within the egg.

Carpet Python Hatchlings Hatchlings Once the hatchlings have exited the egg, I usually rinse them with water, sex them by

popping and then place them in male/female containers. It is easiest to sex baby Carpets just after hatching as they pop very

easily. I will then leave them in the rack system for about 10 days, usually if they absorbed all of the yolk they will shed at this

time and I then try feed them a day or 2 after shedding. This is what has worked for me and some of the bigger breeders in

Australia. It is not difficult to breed Carpet Pythons, you just need to make sure you keep to the basics and if you follow these

steps, you should have some bitey babies.[/IMG].
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-04-2022),tropiclikeitshot (02-04-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Bredli are spring breeders and tend to go later than jungles, coastals, Papuans, etc. Most folks are just now finishing their lowest temps of the breeding season and starting introductions with spring breeding Morelia sp. Probably keep them together until they’re not interested in each other? I won’t be making my first Morelia breeding attempts until a year from now at the earliest, so this is all said based on what I’ve heard from many other breeders. Give this episode of MPR a listen.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000425131510

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-05-2022),Bogertophis (02-04-2022),Gio (02-07-2022),tropiclikeitshot (02-04-2022)

Thanks

Thank you all for the responses to clarify my male and female were cooled for 30 days and introduced in late October. I know this is a bit earlier than is typical I'm a first time breeder and admittedly kind of got confused with all the dates and when to start. I was able to visibly confirm 4 locks and the male was removed after she shed on December 12TH which I believe was her pre-lay shed based on when ovulation occurred. She is officially on day 42 after her pre-lay shed but has not laid her eggs. I'm wondering at what point I should intervene to help get her moving along (laying). When I palpate the eggs are close to each other in her belly but there seems to be a small fingers worth of space between each egg.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tropiclikeitshot For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-05-2022)

Thanks

Did she lay the eggs yet? The article says they should lay between 20 and 30 days post pre-lay-shed. She’s overdue according to your last statement by 12 days?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

tropiclikeitshot (02-06-2022)

Thanks

She has not , she did head into the lay box in her cage on Friday afternoon but so far seemingly no action (definitely no eggs). I'm trying not to bug her too much if she is about to lay just hoping nature will run its course here pretty soon! *fingers crossed*. I'll keep y'all updated!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tropiclikeitshot For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-07-2022),Bogertophis (02-06-2022)

Thanks

Wow. Yes, fingers crossed. Consider the reptile vet and the possibility of her being egg bound.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

tropiclikeitshot (02-07-2022)

Thanks

Yes, unfortunately when I palpated this morning it felt as if 2 eggs may be touching. She doesn't look visibly engorged like some of the photos I've seen so I'm hoping perhaps we're catching it right as it's happening and outcome will be good. Regardless she is headed to the vet in just a couple hours for full work up. Again, we'll keep the thread updated hoping possibly in future it will help other folks as well!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tropiclikeitshot For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-07-2022),Bogertophis (02-07-2022)

Thanks

Hey everyone, truly the best possible outcome given how overdue she WOULD have been. Upon X-ray we found NO egg like structures however she did have large calcified urates consistent with some mild constipation that is likely what I think I've been feeling as "eggs". Overall she is in very good health I'll be giving her twice daily soaks to try and help her pass this one her own over the next week. A bit of history that makes a tiny more sense now, on the 29TH of December, 2021 (day 17 POS--assuming she ever even ovulated) she had an exceptionally unusual bowel movement (I SOO apologize there are no photographs). The BM was very large and consisted of 6 perfectly oval and smooth calcium deposits along with brown slimy mucus and a large amount of clear fluid. Additionally it smelled rotten (highly sulfuric). The calcium deposits were completely solid not hollow or what I would have expected of a slug. At the time I had done some independent research in the forums here and couldn't really find anything other than 1. females typically don't pass a lot of stool when gravid 2. when they do it is typically unusual/foul smelling 3. I did come across some photos of miscarried eggs and it definitely did not look like that. At the time I wrote it off as an unusual hormonal poop but am now wondering if she may have delivered some rotten/infertile eggs in which she was unable to fully reabsorb. That said this is all very speculative and unfortunately will never really know if she was pregnant or if it was just an unusual poop. This was my first attempt breeding hope others may learn something from my mistakes here. My biggest hindsight is..take more photos and both gravid snakes and constipated snakes poop less..

3:21 the second egg removed looks exactly like what I found on December 29TH minus the blood (viewer warning video is of a medical procedure and may be disturbing to some viewers)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e1c_q51SsU&t=368s

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tropiclikeitshot For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-07-2022),Bogertophis (02-07-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I'm so glad you got that sorted out. You did the right thing, getting your vet's input.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

tropiclikeitshot (02-10-2022)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast