Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,677

0 members and 2,677 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

First time breeding... uninterested male?

Hello all. This is my first year breeding; starting small, with only 2 females large enough and 2 males. Everyone else is babies and going to take a few years still ❤

My first pairing is going great. I have a 1700g Super Russo female paired to a Banana Pastel Enchi male. She was going to be paired with a lesser, but after much deliberation and consulting a few other breeders, we think our lesser is actually female as well and just shy of 600g anyway. I have a backup bamboo who popped 100% male, but he is only 200g. So that's a project for another time.

Our other pairing isn't going so hot. I've got a double het, proven albino pied. She is 2400g. The male I've got her paired with is small, 750g, Leopard Pinstripe Pastel enchi, DH for Clown Pied. Basically my goal was to prove out one of his hets. We got one lock. Atleast, I think it was one, the picture I took is questionable and I didn't want to frighten him. Ever since he simply is just not interested or lightning fast.

I've tried all the tricks... I put him with the banana to entice some rivalry behavior... I left (what I think to be) a male's shed... and I've got them paired right now during the biggest snow storm we've had this year. I've only read it about colubrids, but I even took him for a car ride, figuring it could only help if it did anything. I don't think the female is rejecting him, she was extremely receptive to the banana... my only guess is he just is not big enough yet to have interest? I don't know. I don't want to call it quits yet.

There's an expo coming up and I figure I might just hunt down an albino of some kind, and just pursue that instead and give my man's another year.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dinoroar For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-03-2022),Homebody (02-03-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Only thing I do is pop the male before pairing. Don't know if it actually helps anything but one of those veteran things I got taught and kept with. Besides that, let nature do it's thing. Is it a first time male?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-03-2022),Homebody (02-03-2022),nikkubus (02-03-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: First time breeding... uninterested male?

Sounds like you have a great handle on approaching a minor dilemma. What you can consider with the seemingly uninterested male is to stick to a schedule of reintroduction of the female to the male. Waiting for changes in atmospheric pressures (heavy rains) along with extra meals (snacks) for both. Also reintroducing after both have fed and digested their meals. Do not overfeed but just a extra smaller than average regular meal in between. If the female normally takes medium rats then give her a jumbo mouse as the snack. If the male takes small rats, then his snack can be the same. Waiting for a shed to occur is also a good time to reintroduce. I think the repetition of introduction and feeding and snacking then reintroduction will give you better results. Coupled with looking for the other factors should help. Good luck and keep us posted. The proven het albino pied and that leopard pastel enchi het pied/ clown gives you quite a nice clutch. Consider probing for a more definitive way to sex. Especially the larger reptiles. Get help probing if you don’t have the expertise.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 02-03-2022 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Additional info.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-03-2022),Homebody (02-03-2022),nikkubus (02-03-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OhhWatALoser View Post
    Only thing I do is pop the male before pairing. Don't know if it actually helps anything but one of those veteran things I got taught and kept with. Besides that, let nature do it's thing. Is it a first time male?
    Haven't tried that yet, will give it a shot next pairing. and yes it's his first time.

As for food, he's eating wean/small rats. I haven't reduced his meals but I suppose I can start. The female, on the other hand, started fasting as soon as she was paired. Live & frozen isn't interesting for her.

Thanks
    First time males can take a while to get the hang of things. Give em some time lol.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-03-2022),Bogertophis (02-03-2022),nikkubus (02-03-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dinoroar View Post
    Hello all. This is my first year breeding; starting small, with only 2 females large enough and 2 males. Everyone else is babies and going to take a few years still

My first pairing is going great. I have a 1700g Super Russo female paired to a Banana Pastel Enchi male. She was going to be paired with a lesser, but after much deliberation and consulting a few other breeders, we think our lesser is actually female as well and just shy of 600g anyway. I have a backup bamboo who popped 100% male, but he is only 200g. So that's a project for another time.

Our other pairing isn't going so hot. I've got a double het, proven albino pied. She is 2400g. The male I've got her paired with is small, 750g, Leopard Pinstripe Pastel enchi, DH for Clown Pied. Basically my goal was to prove out one of his hets. We got one lock. Atleast, I think it was one, the picture I took is questionable and I didn't want to frighten him. Ever since he simply is just not interested or lightning fast.

I've tried all the tricks... I put him with the banana to entice some rivalry behavior... I left (what I think to be) a male's shed... and I've got them paired right now during the biggest snow storm we've had this year. I've only read it about colubrids, but I even took him for a car ride, figuring it could only help if it did anything. I don't think the female is rejecting him, she was extremely receptive to the banana... my only guess is he just is not big enough yet to have interest? I don't know. I don't want to call it quits yet.

There's an expo coming up and I figure I might just hunt down an albino of some kind, and just pursue that instead and give my man's another year.
    Try misting the female tub before introducing the male

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Santiago6621 For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-03-2022),nikkubus (02-03-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    I'd just keep putting them together for a day or two every couple weeks and eventually something should start happening. It can be the female not at the right point of follicle development sometimes. If you have a pretty fresh female shed you can try putting that with him for a few days before pairing to get him wound up. Sounds like you have already tried a lot of the other things I do.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-04-2022),Bogertophis (02-04-2022)

Thanks
    Hey all I'm back for an update.

Things are... going absolutely nowhere. Banana-BEL pair continue to go at it, but the female isn't show signs of developing anything. Might just be my inexperience, though.

The two het for pied still aren't in doing too hot. The female is super receptive and is all over the banana, but my little het pied boy still just can't find the interest. I've tried everyone's tips, as well as allowing him a full 2 week break to sit and think about his life choices.

I've popped him, misted him, paired during a winter storm, rubbed the other male's sperm on her, and skipped this meal so that the only possible thing he can think about is this girl. We got close, I think... he was resting on top of her, but I never saw a lock and this morning they're just fighting over the heat.

My fiance swears he felt marble size follicles on the het pied, so I'm really worried we are running out of time here. I've allowed my banana to mate her so I'm hopefully not a full loss this year, but I plan on doing this very scarcely as I'd rather have pied babies.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dinoroar For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-22-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    May just take him a little more time and he might not go for it this year. It can happen. First time males can take a while to figure out what they are suppose to do. Hopefully he locks for you soon!
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-22-2022),Dinoroar (02-18-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dinoroar View Post
    We got one lock.
    And sometimes that's all it takes. He could also be breeding for a few hours and letting go. A lot of breeding is accepting we can lead a horse to water, but we can't make it drink.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-22-2022)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast