Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 984

4 members and 980 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

CHE Placement for 3x2x1 wooden cage

well i have cleaned up and repainted one of the enclosures that i have recently bought. I am having an issue of where i wanted to place my CHE as this is the choice i wanted to go with instead of a RHP or heat pad since i factored in cost and i am concerned about ambient temps. I have plugged in and tested the bulb it works and everything but i am concerned that the bulb is way too hot for this to be pointing down like it is in the picture even with the T stat.. if i was going to keep it this what would be a good place to put the Tstat. i got a surface temp of about 114 on the wood just below the bulb. I am considering installing it side ways as depicted in the picture with me pointing and having the T stat set for about 88-90 degrees on the opposite end, (ball python and for baby boa as appropriate) and because its point that way their should be enough gradient just under the bulb since i dont feel much sideways. so with this set up, what are some recommendations with the use of this CHE. CHE was bought on amazon. thanks allSimple Deluxe 150W Ceramic Heat Emitter

I have also considered mounting the bulb on the back and have the heat face to the doors (plexi glass sliding doors) I am just thinking that the current place is not a good spot for this thing. if i keep it there and set the T stat to 75-80 degrees it might make a nice hot spot at about 88-90 that is sufficient depending on where i keep the probe at. I'm thinking tstat against the back wall somewhere or the side. any recommendations for this set up greatly appreciated

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I WILL HAVE A CAGE ON THE BULB!! Just after I figure out where i really want this thing.

Last edited by greg.s; 01-31-2022 at 02:22 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,179 Times in 1,175 Posts

Re: CHE Placement for 3x2x1 wooden cage

Is the enclosure 3 feet wide or 3 feet deep? I can't tell from the photos.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    Is the enclosure 3 feet wide or 3 feet deep? I can't tell from the photos.

3 ft wide 2 feet deep and 1 foot tall sorry.

Thanks

I'm hesitant to give advice because I've never used a CHE, but here goes. I would put a piece of slate under the CHE and use an insulated staple to secure the thermostat's probe on the floor next to the slate. Adjust the thermostat so that the slate (as measured by a heat gun) is the desired basking temperature.
    Last edited by Homebody; 01-31-2022 at 06:06 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

greg.s (02-01-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

My personal opinion is that you should look into another heat source. I hate telling people to spend money but for me I'd say that CHE is too low in there. You can put a cage around it but I think you're still gonna end up with some issues either from the snake being up on it injuring themselves, or dealing with humidity and temperature issues. An enclosure with that low of a ceiling I think would work much better with a RHP, or a heat mat depending on what your ambient temps are in the room and how thick the bottom of the enclosure is.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

greg.s (02-01-2022),Homebody (02-01-2022)

Thanks

This is troubling to hear. A sideways mount would still be problematic I take it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greg.s View Post
    This is troubling to hear. A sideways mount would still be problematic I take it?
    I can't imagine how that would work. If you mount the CHE on the side at the top, the hot spot you create will be on the top of the opposite wall. The bp won't have access to it. If you lower the CHE, the bp will be able to get too close to it and burn itself.
    Last edited by Homebody; 02-01-2022 at 10:37 AM.

Thanks

I plan on experimenting. But my theory was if the far side of the cage was 88-92 degrees then the animal would still have a hot spot to thermoregulate and digest food. I know this gets into the topic of if they need belly heat or a basking spot so to speak but from the research I have done it doesn’t seem that a direct heat source (contact) is needed and digestion will occur. If I go with this method and stick the probe on the far side it should create the temp gradient I am desiring. Again I’m experimenting. If worse comes to worse I’ll break down and get the RHP.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greg.s View Post
    I plan on experimenting. But my theory was if the far side of the cage was 88-92 degrees then the animal would still have a hot spot to thermoregulate and digest food. I know this gets into the topic of if they need belly heat or a basking spot so to speak but from the research I have done it doesn’t seem that a direct heat source (contact) is needed and digestion will occur. If I go with this method and stick the probe on the far side it should create the temp gradient I am desiring. Again I’m experimenting. If worse comes to worse I’ll break down and get the RHP.
    Why not? You've already got the CHE. It won't cost you more than time and energy to experiment. I don't think it's going to work. I wouldn't put any money into it, but maybe it will. Good luck.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

greg.s (02-02-2022)

Thanks

I have found a few lower watt che bulb on Amazon i believe about 20/25 watt up to what you have mentioned 150 trial n error unfortunately each terrarium is different my terrarium uses a 150 w che due to the height of the terrarium I am watching the. Temp like a hawk have 2 different sensors on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk