Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,898

5 members and 2,893 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

How are people able to sell reticulated pythons at shows in Alabama?

A while back now, reticulated pythons we’re banned in Alabama, yet last time I went to a show I saw them there for sale. How is this possible? They were banned all the way back in 2020.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BallBoa For This Useful Post:

dakski (01-31-2022),Homebody (02-01-2022)

Thanks
    Sometimes there are ways around the laws like a permit or the size of the snake (in my state, Ohio, they're legal under 12'). But, many breeders don't keep up with the laws and nobody enforces them so they are likely going to keep breeding them.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erie_herps For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (01-31-2022),BallBoa (01-31-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    I assume that the sellers are letting buyers take the heat if they buy something that's illegal- it's up to the buyer to "know the laws where they are". You'd think they wouldn't be allowed to sell them at all in AL- ? Call me suspicious, but I sure hope it's not a sting operation? But for a real answer, you should be asking your state dept. of fish & game. As Erie_herps said, maybe a special permit allows some to still buy them, but who knows?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (01-31-2022),BallBoa (01-31-2022),Erie_herps (01-31-2022),Malum Argenteum (01-31-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,077 Times in 414 Posts
    For clarity, here is the legislative text:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/regulati...ode-r-220-2-26

Regarding this clause:

"(1) No person, firm, corporation, partnership, or association shall possess, sell, offer for sale, import, bring, release, or cause to be brought or imported into the State of Alabama any of the following live fish or animals: (...) Any species of bird, mammal, reptile, or amphibian listed as injurious wildlife under the Lacey Act ( 18 U.S.C. 42 ) from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service;"

That list of injurious wildlife is here:

https://www.fws.gov/injuriouswildlif..._Listed_IW.pdf

There are all kinds of illegal herps for sale in public view, some actually illegal in light of laws that aren't as foolishly misguided as this one from Alabama.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

BallBoa (02-01-2022),Bogertophis (01-31-2022),Erie_herps (02-01-2022),Homebody (02-01-2022)

Thanks
    So apparently the sellers are assuming that LE will be too busy to bother with them, & just taking a chance. Not smart.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

BallBoa (02-01-2022)

Thanks

Re: How are people able to sell reticulated pythons at shows in Alabama?

Ok, I thought there may have been some sort of loop hole in the law which allowed them to be kept, I remember when the van first came out I was still seeing tegus and the person selling them explained to me that it was fine at the time as long as they were micro chipped. Still could be, or like you say they’re just ignoring the law which seems like a terrible idea if you ask me. Well, there go my dreams of getting a retic

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BallBoa View Post
    Ok, I thought there may have been some sort of loop hole in the law which allowed them to be kept, I remember when the van first came out I was still seeing tegus and the person selling them explained to me that it was fine at the time as long as they were micro chipped. Still could be, or like you say they’re just ignoring the law which seems like a terrible idea if you ask me. Well, there go my dreams of getting a retic

Unfortunately, there are some people around that will tell you anything to make a sale. You're smart to do your own checking- as they say, "ignorance of the law" isn't a valid defense. I would hate to run afoul of these laws- it's just not worth it. But rather than fixate on a snake you cannot keep, look at all the awesome ones that you can.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-01-2022),BallBoa (02-01-2022),Hugsplox (02-01-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Unfortunately, there are some people around that will tell you anything to make a sale. You're smart to do your own checking- as they say, "ignorance of the law" isn't a valid defense. I would hate to run afoul of these laws- it's just not worth it. But rather than fixate on a snake you cannot keep, look at all the awesome ones that you can.
    Agree 100% with this. I understand we all get frustrated when state and federal governments ban certain animals, but if we try to find loop holes and circumvent these laws it's just going to make things worse. My worry when I see people selling animals I know to be illegal at expos is that the expos will start having issues finding venues to host them, or worse that they'll just get shut down all together. If we're not spending money on these animals they'll stop bringing them, and in a small way we'll protect at least some aspects of our hobby.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-01-2022),BallBoa (02-01-2022),Bogertophis (02-01-2022),Malum Argenteum (02-01-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

I am of the mindset that certain reptiles just weren’t meant to be kept in our homes. This is only my 2 cents and not to offend anyone but most of the giant snakes and definitely the venomous species really do belong in zoos. There has been multiple reports of keepers of venomous reptiles being tagged by their captives. Some reports of venomous reptiles that have escaped ! As far as the giant reptiles, can we really feed them adequately when you read about the sizes of prey that they are truly capable of swallowing?
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 02-01-2022 at 03:45 PM.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-01-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    I am of the mindset that certain reptiles just weren’t meant to be kept in our homes. This is only my 2 cents and not to offend anyone but most of the giant snakes and definitely the venomous species really do belong in zoos. There has been multiple reports of keepers of venomous reptiles being tagged by their captives. Some reports of venomous reptiles that have escaped ! As far as the giant reptiles, can we really feed them adequately when you read about the sizes of prey that they are truly capable of swallowing?
    I think it's not only about feeding giant snakes adequately (though that does get expensive) but also, how do you handle them safely*, & how do you house them securely & with enough space in a home environment? *It takes a team effort to do so safely, & that team needs to be experienced. An awful lot of people are attracted to these animals, only to later find themselves in over their heads & not willing to admit it.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-01-2022 at 04:11 PM.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-01-2022),Hugsplox (02-02-2022)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast