Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,997

3 members and 2,994 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: How are people able to sell reticulated pythons at shows in Alabama?

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    I am of the mindset that certain reptiles just weren’t meant to be kept in our homes. This is only my 2 cents and not to offend anyone but most of the giant snakes and definitely the venomous species really do belong in zoos. There has been multiple reports of keepers of venomous reptiles being tagged by their captives. Some reports of venomous reptiles that have escaped ! As far as the giant reptiles, can we really feed them adequately when you read about the sizes of prey that they are truly capable of swallowing?
    I think that these animals can be kept just like any other reptile as long as many precautions are set, but I won't get into this too much. I think that most keepers shouldn't keep reticulated pythons since they need gigantic enclosures. I hate seeing where people keep them in enclosures so small (like 6') that they can't do much except curl up. But I think people should be able to keep them. If someone wants to dedicate an entire room to a gigantic enclosure then they can (I know of people doing this). But an important thing to note are super dwarf retics. They can be easily kept in a 4x2x3 enclosure, something that many keepers can provide. Many legislations fail to see this and just ban retics even though super dwarfs can easily be kept and mainlands can be kept (but not easily). Something else that hobbyist breeders might not think of is that not all of the eggs need to be kept. If you want to breed mainland retics you can easily just keep a few eggs just to have the experience of raising the babies. Unfortunately some breeders hatch hundreds of babies per year and don't tell buyers about how large they get as adults. I don't know of any breeders doing this but I'm sure that once a breeder has gotten overwhelmed with babies and didn't have the space or money to house them all and some were culled and thrown away.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I think it's not only about feeding giant snakes adequately (though that does get expensive) but also, how do you handle them safely*, & how do you house them securely & with enough space in a home environment? *It takes a team effort to do so safely, & that team needs to be experienced. An awful lot of people are attracted to these animals, only to later find themselves in over their heads & not willing to admit it.
    Most retic keepers feed the snakes pigs or rabbits. 4-6 people are usually required to safely handle the snake.
    Last edited by Erie_herps; 02-01-2022 at 04:58 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Erie_herps For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-01-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Erie_herps View Post
    I think that these animals can be kept just like any other reptile as long as many precautions are set, but I won't get into this too much. I think that most keepers shouldn't keep reticulated pythons since they need gigantic enclosures. I hate seeing where people keep them in enclosures so small (like 6') that they can't do much except curl up. But I think people should be able to keep them. If someone wants to dedicate an entire room to a gigantic enclosure then they can (I know of people doing this). But an important thing to note are super dwarf retics. They can be easily kept in a 4x2x3 enclosure, something that many keepers can provide. Many legislations fail to see this and just ban retics even though super dwarfs can easily be kept and mainlands can be kept (but not easily). Something else that hobbyist breeders might not think of is that not all of the eggs need to be kept. If you want to breed mainland retics you can easily just keep a few eggs just to have the experience of raising the babies. Unfortunately some breeders hatch hundreds of babies per year and don't tell buyers about how large they get as adults. I don't know of any breeders doing this but I'm sure that once a breeder has gotten overwhelmed with babies and didn't have the space or money to house them all and some were culled and thrown away.

Most retic keepers feed the snakes pigs or rabbits. 4-6 people are usually required to safely handle the snake.
    This whole topic of the giant reptiles and the venomous is a Pandora’s box of views and controversies. I know escapes of both, and the venomous bites inflicted, that always make the evening news are detrimental to the business and the hobby unfortunately.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-01-2022),Erie_herps (02-01-2022)

Thanks

This whole topic of the giant reptiles and the venomous is a Pandora’s box of views and controversies. I know escapes of both, and the venomous bites inflicted, that always make the evening news are detrimental to the business and the hobby unfortunately.
    For nearly all people giant and venomous snakes are terrible choices. But there are those few people that put in 5 years with venomous snakes, are ready for them, and then put in 5 more years of training. If people are responsible and invest in venomous enclosures and secure the room (which is required for hots) then escaping isn't a huge concern except for keeper negligence. It's also way too easy to get a venomous snake. Gaboon vipers are not a good intro to hots but you can get them for $200.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Erie_herps For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-01-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Erie_herps View Post
    For nearly all people giant and venomous snakes are terrible choices. But there are those few people that put in 5 years with venomous snakes, are ready for them, and then put in 5 more years of training. If people are responsible and invest in venomous enclosures and secure the room (which is required for hots) then escaping isn't a huge concern except for keeper negligence. It's also way too easy to get a venomous snake. Gaboon vipers are not a good intro to hots but you can get them for $200.
    Operative words are responsible vs. irresponsible and keeper negligence. Very controversial in all cases.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Erie_herps (02-02-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 399 Posts
    For what it is worth, "injurious" in this context means "injurious to the interests of human beings, agriculture, horticulture, forestry, wildlife or wildlife resources of the United States" (source). This is almost entirely a matter of avoiding and minimizing enviromental damage from invasive species -- hence the listings of big tropical constrictors following on the coattails of the burmese python situation in FL, the listings of invasive aquatic species, and the recent salamander listings.

There's no reason to believe that the risk of personal harm underpins the FWS listings; there's no substantive discussion of it in this history of listings, and reptile species more directly dangerous to human health aren't listed.

Whether state lawmakers misunderstand this use of 'injurious' is another question, of course.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-02-2022),BallBoa (02-02-2022),Bogertophis (02-01-2022),Erie_herps (02-02-2022)

Thanks

Operative words are responsible vs. irresponsible and keeper negligence. Very controversial in all cases.
    I agree, unfortunately lawmakers base their laws on irresponsible keepers, so everybody has to suffer the consequences.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Erie_herps For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-02-2022)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12