Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,369

0 members and 3,369 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Santa Isabel Ground Boa Baby - New Owner, Questions, Discussion, Pictures

Hello all, been a long time. I joined over a decade ago after getting my first ball python. She was adopted, I think, to someone I met on here, not sure.

Anyway, I recently aquired two new snakes, one of them is a Santa Isabel Island Ground Boa. Have done some searching I've found a few articles but they mainly refer to Solomon Island Boas. I'm aware the scientific names are a big deal around the reptile community and i've seen two variations. Can anyone tell me which is correct for my particular snake?

"Candoia paulsoni" or "Candoia carinata paulsoni"

Second question right off the bat, my baby was born New Year's Eve. So easy to keep track of age here, but also very small. I about go cross-eyed while trying to inspect him. But tonight I noticed something which I can not tell is normal, or a bad thing? Do Baby Boa's have a sort of... Belly button like thing? Or does my baby have some kind of weird thing going on here? (See photos, hopefully the link works. Not used to doing it like this)...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mWSNaSi792oeRJFw5

I hope to keep this thread going for discussion, all my future/other questions (Yeah I have others)... And for sharing photos (I am a photo-nut and have many to share and would love to see other's).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to vkahri For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-28-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 602 Posts
    Hi there! I also own a Soloman Island ground boa. The "Santa Isabel" refers to locale in this instance. C. paulsoni is correct for this species, but I believe previously that they were considered a subspecies for C. carinata before they were reclassified.

When I obtained mine, it had been long enough (3 months) that she had already shed any remaining embryonic sack off. Considering how young yours is, I'm not entirely surprised that this little guy wouldn't have. The pictures do look like a belly button to me, and as it ages it should disappear with time.

They're neat and gorgeous little snakes, and I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine!
    0.1 Red Axanthic P. regius | Mazikeen
    E. climacophora | Lan Fan
    C. paulsoni | Inej

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Starscream For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-07-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts

Re: Santa Isabel Ground Boa Baby - New Owner, Questions, Discussion, Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by vkahri View Post
    Hello all, been a long time. I joined over a decade ago after getting my first ball python. She was adopted, I think, to someone I met on here, not sure.

Anyway, I recently aquired two new snakes, one of them is a Santa Isabel Island Ground Boa. Have done some searching I've found a few articles but they mainly refer to Solomon Island Boas. I'm aware the scientific names are a big deal around the reptile community and i've seen two variations. Can anyone tell me which is correct for my particular snake?

"Candoia paulsoni" or "Candoia carinata paulsoni"

Second question right off the bat, my baby was born New Year's Eve. So easy to keep track of age here, but also very small. I about go cross-eyed while trying to inspect him. But tonight I noticed something which I can not tell is normal, or a bad thing? Do Baby Boa's have a sort of... Belly button like thing? Or does my baby have some kind of weird thing going on here? (See photos, hopefully the link works. Not used to doing it like this)...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mWSNaSi792oeRJFw5

I hope to keep this thread going for discussion, all my future/other questions (Yeah I have others)... And for sharing photos (I am a photo-nut and have many to share and would love to see other's).
    Welcome back! I have no experience with these cuties, but I took a look at your photos- her umbilicus (where she was developing from) appears slightly infected to me: usually it ends up being a tiny closed slit, & later, often disappears altogether on snakes.

If that was my snake, I'd probably dab either a little diluted povidone iodine (aka Betadine) or Vetericyn ointment (FOR reptiles) on that now & then, while it heals up. If it doesn't, see an experienced herp vet. This site can help you locate one: https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

Most here use the Tapatalk app for posting photos- https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-Post-Pictures
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-28-2022 at 05:22 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,091 Times in 421 Posts

I about go cross-eyed while trying to inspect him.
    A loupe is a good tool to have. I have a few, and the one I like the best is this exact model:

https://www.snakemuseum.com/sexing-t...d-30x-60x.html

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-01-2022),Bogertophis (01-28-2022),vkahri (01-30-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    A loupe is a good tool to have. I have a few, and the one I like the best is this exact model:

https://www.snakemuseum.com/sexing-t...d-30x-60x.html
    Loupes are awesome, & not only for snakes- they're just great to have on hand. For other hobbies too, or even for that splinter...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-01-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    Hi there! I also own a Soloman Island ground boa. The "Santa Isabel" refers to locale in this instance. C. paulsoni is correct for this species, but I believe previously that they were considered a subspecies for C. carinata before they were reclassified.

When I obtained mine, it had been long enough (3 months) that she had already shed any remaining embryonic sack off. Considering how young yours is, I'm not entirely surprised that this little guy wouldn't have. The pictures do look like a belly button to me, and as it ages it should disappear with time.

They're neat and gorgeous little snakes, and I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine!
    Thank you for this info. Feel free to share any photos if you have any?... Since your's was already 3 months old, did you have any trouble feeding pinkies?
    Last edited by vkahri; 01-30-2022 at 11:43 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    usually it ends up being a tiny closed slit, & later, often disappears altogether on snakes.
    A site I have been referencing says that "Many neonates are born with big yolk reserves and are just not hungry for the first few weeks after birth." And mine is just about 30 days old. So I'm wondering if it's actually still normal or what the time period is when it should fall off or heal up... In any case I'm grateful for the resources I've looked at them and will be making use of them. I've used photobucket in the past, and am glad to see such clear directions for the other methods as well.
    I'll be getting some of the medicine you mentioned... Lets say I felt it best to administer some, if diluted Betadine, what would be a good dilution ratio? Would you just use a cotton swab or let it sit in a small bath (and if bath, for how long?)

if that was my snake, I'd probably dab either a little diluted povidone iodine (aka Betadine) or Vetericyn ointment (FOR reptiles) on that now & then, while it heals up. If it doesn't, see an experienced herp vet. This site can help you locate one: https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

Most here use the Tapatalk app for posting photos- https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-Post-Pictures
    The site I mentioned that I've been referencing is here:
    http://www.kingsnake.com/candoia/review.html

http://www.kingsnake.com/candoia/book.html

http://www.kingsnake.com/candoia/gem.html

12. The Following User Says Thank You to vkahri For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-01-2022)

Thanks
    ...I noticed my replies showed up directly one after the other, rather than nested under the person's post I was replying to. Sorry for three posts in a row from me but I didn't want to put this in with those replies....

So after reading over the information on the website that has become my sole source of information for these guys, (here: http://www.kingsnake.com/candoia/book.html), I think I'm in the situation of a non-pinkie eating neonate. It looks a bit on the thin side to me. I don't know if it has eaten at all since it was born, I was told that it was fed pinkie or fuzzy tails, either they had to force feed him, or possibly they didn't actually get any food down him yet. I'd like to avoid any force feeding on something so small and young if I can.

Yesterday I offered the smallest pinkie I could find out of a batch of 6 frozens from Petsmart. I let it thaw in room temperature then hot water to make it warm and tried dangling it around in front of him like I used to with my ball python.
    Didn't take it.
    Tried leaving it in with the snake for a few hours. Didn't take it. I had nothing to scent with though and have been too unsure of what exactly to get for trying this scenting method. I'm used to the purchase of tree frogs, house geckos, or anoles being to keep as pets themselves, not as feeders. If I were to acquire any of them, I doubt I could find any already frozen. The author of the articles I'm referencing mentioned this method:
    "I keep a small deli cup of anoles, house geckos and green tree frogs in my freezer. Place a newborn pinkie in the deli cup with the thawed out frogs and lizards. I usually add a few drops of water to create a slightly wet “broth”. Let the pinkie roll around on top of the mixture for approximately 1 hour. This will allow the pinkie to absorb the scents onto its skin."

If I can only get live anoles or tree frogs perhaps I should just buy one or two of them and offer them live?
    -But then if my snake does not take them, well I don't have a set up for frogs or anoles... So then perhaps I should offer a live one then if it doesn't take, put it in the freezer and use it to try the scenting method later?...
    -But then there is the size difference. I've seen only one or two examples of baby Candoia eating, it looked like they could take food much larger than their body width. I'm used to most tree frogs being about the size of a quarter or more. My boa is barely the width of a pencil.

Speaking of frogs I've had this fear of getting something that could be toxic. I know there is a high risk with fish, and found a list elsewhere about which fish were toxic and which were OK for feeding snakes. But are there any similar risks with frogs so I don't get the wrong kind? Is there a potentially "wrong kind"?

One last mention citing this article again: "I have spoken with many other Candoia enthusiasts over the years who have told me of their experiences with feeding neonates. Earthworms, minnows, feeder guppies and tiny goldfish were all accepted as first meals by neonate Candoia. I personally, have used tuna fish to scent pinkies with amazing results. Neonates that accept pinkies on the first try are often the exception as most baby Candoia instinctively prefer to reach out and grab swift moving prey items such as lizards or frogs"

OK, this has me intrigued. I'd love to try earthworms, or scenting with tuna. What kind of tuna? Canned tuna? Already cooked or raw? Oy vey I have no idea. I've also heard of other meats being used for neonates... not necessarily Candoia but I'm curious if it would be possible... like liver or heart... chicken liver, or chicken heart? Has anyone else heard of this, and if so have you ever tried it?

Ok.. sorry this is long. Thanks for any helpful feedback!

Thanks

I'll be getting some of the medicine you mentioned... Lets say I felt it best to administer some, if diluted Betadine, what would be a good dilution ratio? Would you just use a cotton swab or let it sit in a small bath (and if bath, for how long?) ...
    For minor wounds, topical antiseptics that are safe for snakes include the Vetericyn ointment (version for snakes-just a little dab, please) or Betadine. If you use Betadine on a snake, dilute it with water so it looks like weak tea- & apply a little using a Q-tip- DO NOT SOAK this snake! -that would likely make it worse.

As I said before, that spot just looks a little infected to me (the red & yellowish colors)- it's healing but it will take time (sheds!) to fully disappear also. What substrate is she on?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-31-2022 at 01:19 AM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-01-2022),vkahri (01-31-2022)

Thanks

For minor wounds, topical antiseptics that are safe for snakes include the Vetericyn ointment (version for snakes-just a little dab, please) or Betadine. If you use Betadine on a snake, dilute it with water so it looks like weak tea- & apply a little using a Q-tip- DO NOT SOAK this snake! -that would likely make it worse.

As I said before, that spot just looks a little infected to me (the red & yellowish colors)- it's healing but it will take time (sheds!) to fully disappear also. What substrate is she on?
    Thank you. I think it's a "he"... I've read that usually only the males have those little claws by the cloaca. However, is that a misnomer?

Very small clear plastic bin with air holes, plain white paper towel. A tiny water dish and a tiny ramekin with moist sphagna moss in it, which he tends to stay curled up in. Also some small fake foliage for cover.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast