Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,655

1 members and 1,654 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,071 Times in 411 Posts

Re: Santa Isabel Ground Boa Baby - New Owner, Questions, Discussion, Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by vkahri View Post
    Washing pinks? Washing in what?
    KFC grease??? Like from your bucket of chicken????
    Scented with ...pureed lizard? ...lol I don't have a blender but... I imagine you put them into a blender?
    I'm sorry I missed this when it was posted. Pinks are washed with regular Dawn dish soap, rinsed well and patted dry with a fresh paper towel. Yes, KFC grease from the bottom of the bucket. Scenting with a lizard is done by rubbing the pink on the lizard's body to transfer some of the scent, generally after the pink has been washed as above. Some people do use lizard puree, but I have not tried that.

Though I don't do this anymore with the species I work with except to administer medication, tube feeding is IMO preferential to force feeding. I've kept snakes alive, growing and in apparent good health for more than a year (at which point I gave up and euthanized) with a mix of chicken baby food, egg yolk and Repashy Calcium Plus (eyeballed amounts; no idea how much is the right amount) fed via stomach tube about 2x week. Very easy and relatively stress free for snake and keeper. It takes some research to figure out tube feeding -- find the glottis (really easy, and virtually impossible to miss and hit the glottis), measure down to stomach, get a practiced technique to avoid any coming back up -- and some equipment (I use a dosing needle set from Reptile Basics for small animals, and vet stomach tubes for larger ones).

There's a device called a pinky pump that macerates whole rodent prey and then runs it through a tube, though I've never used one and have read that they're a challenge to get to work well.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-07-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post

Though I don't do this anymore with the species I work with except to administer medication, tube feeding is IMO preferential to force feeding. I've kept snakes alive, growing and in apparent good health for more than a year (at which point I gave up and euthanized) with a mix of chicken baby food, egg yolk and Repashy Calcium Plus (eyeballed amounts; no idea how much is the right amount) fed via stomach tube about 2x week. Very easy and relatively stress free for snake and keeper. It takes some research to figure out tube feeding -- find the glottis (really easy, and virtually impossible to miss and hit the glottis), measure down to stomach, get a practiced technique to avoid any coming back up -- and some equipment (I use a dosing needle set from Reptile Basics for small animals, and vet stomach tubes for larger ones).

There's a device called a pinky pump that macerates whole rodent prey and then runs it through a tube, though I've never used one and have read that they're a challenge to get to work well.
    I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that finds "tube-feeding" to be much gentler than "force feeding", & I've had success with it on various snakes too. There's many 'opinions' shared to the contrary, but I have to assume it was mostly not from their own personal experience, or from doing it the wrong way (especially- not using the proper equipment- oh does that matter!).

Pinkie pumps- I have NEVER used one. I have heard of reptiles being killed or injured when the pump clogs, then suddenly & forcefully releases into the animal. So no thanks... but I'll happily share my tube-feeding method (write-up) with anyone who requests it.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (03-07-2022)

Thanks

Still not eating... I've force fed fuzzy tails once every week and a half on average the past two months. Not sure what to do. Will a vet even be able to do anything for a snake the size of a worm? (like a big nightcrawler)....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vkahri View Post
    Still not eating... I've force fed fuzzy tails once every week and a half on average the past two months. Not sure what to do. Will a vet even be able to do anything for a snake the size of a worm? (like a big nightcrawler)....
    I've tube-fed 7" hatchling desert glossy snakes before- let me know & I can pm you instructions if you want. Sorry your snake is being so difficult- some just are. I don't think your vet can do anything other than tube-feed it for you, but many snakes up-chuck their tube-feeding from handling stress & travel- it's best done by you at home. These are known to be difficult snakes- no telling how long it may take before it becomes an easy feeder for you, if ever- but we're all pulling for you.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-23-2022 at 11:48 AM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (05-24-2022),Homebody (05-23-2022),vkahri (06-07-2022)

Thanks

I would be interested in giving that a try. Thank you!
    What I've managed to get into him on my own has been stressful on both of us.
    I recently got a dozen more small pinkies. I'm just trying one a day, leaving them in the enclosure for him with different scenting techniques but I think they will all end up being wasted. I think they are too big to try force feeding. Others have told me he would have no problem eating them if I can get an eating response but I think they are too big for a snake that is probably weak from not eating. I'll try to get a photo later.

I have one or two micro repti links left I might try to get into him this week but it's harder to do than a fuzzy tail. They break up and I don't get the whole thing in. They would be way more nutritious than a tail though.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to vkahri For This Useful Post:

Homebody (06-08-2022)

Thanks
    PM sent.

Thanks
    Does he have hides? Things small enough he can feel snug & safe in? Many snakes won't eat without that & I didn't see where you mentioned?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (06-08-2022)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123