Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,858

1 members and 2,857 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

deep heat projector questions

hello! i'm planning on getting a snake soon, and i'm wondering if anyone has any experience with DHPs?
    i will be using a 40gal glass tank, which i have heard doesn't retain heat very well, but i will be insulating the sides
    i also plan on using a thick layer of substrate, so i don't know if a heat mat would be ideal for that setup

anyway, my questions:

would a RHP act as a good sole source of heat or should it be paired with another heat source or a second DHP?
    can putting slate or something similar under the DHP can help radiate the heat throughout the enclosure and will this help ambient temperatures? my house is generally on the colder side, around 65-70F/18-22C
    does it create a good temperature gradient and about how far does the heat reach on the hot spot?

i understand these are pretty base level questions, i'm a beginner at this, just trying to get everyone's opinion

any other information you can give me would be great ideally i'd go for a pvc cage but i don't have the money for that, so i'm just trying to provide the best life for my first snake on the budget i have

on a side note.. does anyone use and like VE thermostats? i've heard good things about them

thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    I use them for my carpet python; he likes to perch on a branch under it.

On a glass tank it will only work if you have a plexi top, not a mesh/screen top, otherwise the mesh will block too much of the radiation and let the heat/humidity out. IR does penetrate plexi.

With a house that cold I would also use a heat pad to create a basking spot/belly heat, and use the DHP to warm up objects near the bottom of the tank so that heat and rise to increase the ambient temp.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

blisterbeetle (01-28-2022),Homebody (01-28-2022)

Thanks

Re: deep heat projector questions

thank you! how would i go about adding plexiglass to the lid?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

We had a glass shop cut pieces to fit for us, and it's secured to the tank with wall mirror hangers. That may not work with a small tank, the one we have it on is a 125-gal with fairly thick/wide pieces at the top to reinforce the tank structure.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

blisterbeetle (01-28-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,073 Times in 412 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blisterbeetle View Post

on a side note.. does anyone use and like VE thermostats? i've heard good things about them
    Herpstats are more reliable, have more safety features, are more adaptable to different uses, have better customer support, and cost about the same. I use both (three VEs and five HSs, IIRC; I've owned more VEs but sold them), so this is an informed comparison.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

blisterbeetle (01-28-2022)