Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,900

3 members and 2,897 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Ball python behavior change

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Hmm, that is kinda strange after this long.

Have you double-checked her temperatures? What kind of heat? Is it possible that the only place she feels warm enough is in a hide? I ask since it's much harder to heat all that space, & this is now winter.

Her set-up looks very well thought-out- more than enough cover, I'd say, & if I was a snake, I'd happily move in. How is her appetite? Is it possible she's not feeling well for some reason?
    Her temp on her hot hide is 90, the ambient on hot side ranges from 83-85. Cool side stays at 80-78. I use a 100 watt DHP on the hot side and 50 watt DHP on the cool side. I live in San Diego so it doesn't get too cold thankfully our house stays around 70 degrees.
    I try to keep the humidity around 55-60%.
    She bounces around to three different hides one on the hot side and two on the cold side that she likes. I think the other two hides are just too open or too big for her liking. She spends most of her time on the cool side when she's not eating. After she eats she likes to stay in her hot side hide for a couple days.
    She's a great eater never missed a meal. She is very food driven so thats amazing.
    Only thing really medically wrong is her misaligned jaw, (I've posted about it before) she gets her lip stuck on her teeth and I have to open her mouth and get it unstuck every couple of weeks.

Maybe she was just stressed in the 20 gallon because she would be I guess what you would call glass surfing alot.

Oh I forgot to add I have a heat mat under neath the hot side. I can't see the wattage because it's covered in HVAC tape. But everything is on a thermostat.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bayalicious; 01-26-2022 at 12:36 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bayalicious For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-26-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I can't think of a thing that's wrong with your set-up.

Only guess I can make is that because you've had to fiddle with her misaligned jaw now & then (on a fairly regular basis, actually), she's choosing to hide more like a wild snake would -to avoid this & not understanding how helpful you are- & because she "can"- her home now has way more options for hiding. Thanks for reminding us about her mouth issue- I think it's very relevant, but unfortunately, not much you can do differently that I can think of.

To put it in human terms, if every time I came out of my house, I ran into my dentist, I might stop coming out too?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Bayalicious (01-26-2022)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12