Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,805

1 members and 1,804 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

What type of bee is this?

I recently got this girl from a local seller who couldn't really give me background information about the genes in the pairing, but I have shown this girl to several breeders and all agree there's more than just spider and pastel in her, so I wonder what do you guys see? She looks as bright yellow as in the pictures with a very well defined pattern and blush in every single marking, fire? mojave? Let me know what you think

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    Doubt Mojave is in there. Fire or something in that complex is possible but I wouldn't count on that either. My guess is that either she is just a really high quality Bee, or might have Yellow Belly in there throwing a bit of extra color and blushing.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Homebody (01-21-2022),JRyder (01-21-2022)

Thanks
    I had a bumblebee YB a while ago but didn't look like this girl the pattern is something I haven't seen before plus the coloring, I must admit saying mojave maybe was a long shot but what about fire or super pastel plus something? I don't know I'm really curious about what everyone thinks
    Last edited by JRyder; 01-21-2022 at 07:38 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    Bees can be quite variable because Spider is quite variable. The reason I don't think Fire or similar is because combined with Pastel, it really helps clean up the side pattern and make it ultra bright, and the dorsal even brighter. Super Pastel would make the head blushing much stronger, pale out the overall coloration, and make it to where the dorsal blushing was so heavy the black outline is a light grey.

If the side pattern was cleaner, Fire, OD, or low expression Enchi could all be candidates.

There is no good way to tell if it's YB because Spider kills a lot of the markers, it's really a matter of color and intensity of blushing, but even with the color, Pastel changes over time so drastically that you need a sibling to compare it to.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

JRyder (01-21-2022),Lord Sorril (01-22-2022)

Thanks

Re: What type of bee is this?

What do you mean by cleaner pattern? I was looking at some pictures of Fire Bumbleebee's and OD Bumbleebee's and here are some that look kinda like my girl, so I'm really trying to learn more about this

OD Bee's

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

IMO: it only vaguely resembles a few of the photos of Fire Bees and OD Bees.
    As Nikkubus mentioned the Spider gene can really mess up any markers you might be able to use to distinguish other genes.

Overall I do doubt it is a straight up Pastel/Spider, but, other than the head-stamp and overall appearance it is nothing more than a guess.
    *.* TNTC

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,906 Times in 839 Posts
    You're pretty much down to having to breed the snake out and see if you can sus out the offspring.
    It's a good looking snake, but if the seller had no idea about the genetics, it's not something I would jump at. It also reflects poorly on the breeder. Why breed if you can't provide answers on the genetics?

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-22-2022),JRyder (01-22-2022),nikkubus (01-22-2022)

Thanks

The person who I got it from wasn't the breeder he was just a seller, I contacted him and he told me the name of the actual breeder, I just sent them a message on facebook and I'm waiting to hear back from them I don't know the rules about putting the breeders name in here but I'm really happy about where it comes from, I just hope to get an answer

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,906 Times in 839 Posts
    Oh that's really good then. Weird that the seller didn't keep track, but oh well. With luck that breeder will know which clutch they hatched from. Easier to do with a young snake like that I think.
    Good luck!

I honestly don't think it'll be too much of an issue namedropping which breeder she's fro? I've given a couple recommendations here when people have asked. But no worries either way~

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-22-2022),JRyder (01-23-2022)

Thanks

She comes from NERD, I don't know how long of a shot is to get the pairing ID or get a response from them, but I'm hoping for the best

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast