Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,594

3 members and 1,591 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

BP still has scratches on belly why?

I had this problem before. Removed the decor I determined to be the culprit and it has gotten better over time. But now I notice my snake has scratches again. And they are of a reddish color. Very similar to a cat scratch on your arm but on a smaller scale.
    I have no idea how he does this. The only things I have in my cage now are coconut halfs and cork wood.
    And nobody I know sands their cork wood so I am very frustrated I can't keep my snake scratch free.
    How am I supposed to find out where the problem is?

I don't want to put him in a sterile tub for life since I am pro natural keeping and it seems other keepers don't have any problems with that.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,909 Times in 840 Posts
    Hard to say without photos to peek at...

Do the marks fade away by a later point in the day?
    Are you feeding live or frozen?

My guesses if there's no real way to injure themself is that live food is doing it, or it's just the little skin indents and creases they sometimes get from being balled up in a hide, but because it's white belly scales the color is noticable.

The only other thing I could think of, is I've seen "red scratches" on a snake that was self harming. He would panic and bite at himself. In that case, when the snake stressed from handling and even a bedding change sometimes, it would bite at itself.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts
    Unfortunately, you're the only one who can see & fully investigate his enclosure. You obviously didn't find the cause the first time, so I suggest you keep looking. Could there be a chip on his water bowl?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: BP still has scratches on belly why?

Quote Originally Posted by Armiyana View Post
    Hard to say without photos to peek at...

Do the marks fade away by a later point in the day?
    Are you feeding live or frozen?

My guesses if there's no real way to injure themself is that live food is doing it, or it's just the little skin indents and creases they sometimes get from being balled up in a hide, but because it's white belly scales the color is noticable.

The only other thing I could think of, is I've seen "red scratches" on a snake that was self harming. He would panic and bite at himself. In that case, when the snake stressed from handling and even a bedding change sometimes, it would bite at itself.
    He's not getting live food.
    The scratches really look like a cat scratch. They are straight and very thin but you can clearly see that the scales are cut into. It's deep enough to turn red/pink but not deep enough to be considered a wound.
    I have a plant with sturdy leaves inside the cage but I highly doubt the leaves are sharp enough to make paper cut like scratches.
    And the cork wood is obviously rough but everyone uses these and why would my snake be that much more hurt by that.
    I also use cypress mulch which has peaces of wood in it but again that's commonly used so why would it be a problem here.
    I can't seem to find the cause.
    I test the surfaces with my own hand and if I don't get cut I assume that my ball will be safe as well. I figured scales would be more sturdy than skin but I don't know.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Unfortunately, you're the only one who can see & fully investigate his enclosure. You obviously didn't find the cause the first time, so I suggest you keep looking. Could there be a chip on his water bowl?
    No his water bowl is very smooth.
    I just can't get my head around how other keepers keep their snakes inside natural habitats with many rough surfaces, woods and stones and I really try to keep sharp edges out but I can't get it right.
    Last edited by CakeLike; 01-19-2022 at 03:10 PM.

Thanks
    Is this a REAL plant or a fake one? Fake plants are made with wires inside the stems, & when leaves fall off, even just one, your snake can get injured when they crawl thru & climb on it. That's why I don't ever put fake plants in my snake's homes. Branches & driftwood, yes, but not fake plants. (They're also often contaminated with lead- found by a study warning parents not to let their kids touch or handle fake flower arrangements/plants.) Fake plants look great, they're just not usually safe.

And scratches that are pink/red sound like they're deep enough to risk infection- if that was my snake, I'd be applying a thin layer of Vetericyn ointment on the scratches while they heal up, just saying.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-19-2022 at 03:26 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (01-19-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CakeLike View Post
    ...I figured scales would be more sturdy than skin but I don't know.
    Scales are covered by skin- snakes shed their skin, remember? Either one can be easily injured. And remember that when snakes turn their body, the spaces between & under their scales are exposed as their scales stretch apart- that is all very soft tissue too. Scales can only protect so much...they're not that hard either.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 418 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    fake plants. (They're also often contaminated with lead- found by a study warning parents not to let their kids touch or handle fake flower arrangements/plants.) Fake plants look great, they're just not usually safe.
    Do you happen to have a link to or title of that study? I'd like details on this.

A DDG (DuckDuckGo, my go-to search engine) search for 'artificial plants lead' found only one remotely relevant link on the first two pages of hits (https://rtkenvironmental.com/healthy...ristmas-trees/) but it is a commercial site and the links it contains are of questionable quality. Google found this (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15628192) which only talks about PVC Xmas trees.

A DDG search for 'plastic plants lead' found only one relevant page (https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/lead/preven...r-products.htm) that calls into question all plastic products, not just plants. Google found that same NIH study I linked above.

A Google scholar search for those two phrases came up empty on the first couple pages of results.

A little poking around suggests that while some fake plants are made of PVC, others are made of polyethylene or polyester (https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/r...t-fake-plants/). Apparently lead might be used to soften PVC; happily, it seems not to be used in PVC foam sheets (https://www.acmeplastics.com/expanded-pvc-foam).

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (01-29-2022),benji4801 (01-23-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    Do you happen to have a link to or title of that study? I'd like details on this.

A DDG (DuckDuckGo, my go-to search engine) search for 'artificial plants lead' found only one remotely relevant link on the first two pages of hits (https://rtkenvironmental.com/healthy...ristmas-trees/) but it is a commercial site and the links it contains are of questionable quality. Google found this (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15628192) which only talks about PVC Xmas trees.

A DDG search for 'plastic plants lead' found only one relevant page (https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/lead/preven...r-products.htm) that calls into question all plastic products, not just plants. Google found that same NIH study I linked above.

A Google scholar search for those two phrases came up empty on the first couple pages of results.

A little poking around suggests that while some fake plants are made of PVC, others are made of polyethylene or polyester (https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/r...t-fake-plants/). Apparently lead might be used to soften PVC; happily, it seems not to be used in PVC foam sheets (https://www.acmeplastics.com/expanded-pvc-foam).
    Not off-hand- & when I first came across that, I shared it here on this site. It's been quite a while- anyway, the lead was mostly manufacturing dust from the pliable wires used inside the plastic leaves- & the fact that little kids like to touch things & then stick their fingers in their mouths (or eat with their fingers, hands unwashed), so thoroughly washing the fake plants would help that.

My more immediate concern would be when leaves come off & the sharp wires get exposed, & snakes can can injured on those. That's what I suspect occurred with the OP's snake, from the description given. Without even seeing the snake in question, this was just my "brain-storming" & trying to solve the mystery.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (01-29-2022),Malum Argenteum (01-19-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

OP has a white snake. It’s going to show marks/abrasions more easily than literally just about any other snake. This is being severely and dramatically over analyzed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (01-29-2022),Alicia (01-29-2022),benji4801 (01-23-2022),Gio (01-19-2022),Hugsplox (01-20-2022),KMG (01-19-2022),Spicey (01-19-2022)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast