Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,093

3 members and 3,090 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Shedding or Sick?

Hey all, I need someone a lil more experienced for a second opinion here. This girl (Honey) is 5 years old and if this is a shed it's a lot different looking than how she normally sheds. Store ran out of medium rats so she's gotten larges the last two times and I'm wondering if maybe I should have skipped a feeding, because she ate another one on the 15th and has been looking a bit off since.

Normally when she's shedding she goes right for the hide, classic blue phase, will sound like a vicious air leak if bothered, emerges shiny and beautiful a week later. This time she's just got these slightly dull eyes that aren't changing much, skin has dulled but not as much as typical, she's uninterested when I open the glass (but is adjusting her position throughout the day), she's resting her head up against the wall a lot more than usual but I haven't seen any discharge or other signs of RI.

She ate as enthusiastically as normal, but it was just hours later that she started just seeming a bit off to me. She never sits directly under the heat panel, hell I rarely see more than her head unburied, but that's where she's been since. I pumped the temp up two degrees in case she was cold but that doesn't seem to have made a difference. Checked air temp and humidity, all normal. I just don't know what to make of it.

https://i.imgur.com/9ewRcwo.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/bg3bSXv.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I suspect she'll just take longer to shed- make sure you keep up her humidity as well as the warmth- both digestion & shedding require GOOD hydration from the snake's body, & it's a challenge for them to do them simultaneously- it often takes much longer as a result. Feeding too close to a shed can cause a mid-shed regurgitation, or a shed in a zillion pieces (or they can get "stuck") when they finally get around to it. So as I said, just monitor warmth & humidity- don't handle her!- & hope she gets both done as planned. I wouldn't feed larges, btw. And especially not "back to back".
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

lisalombs (01-18-2022),Malum Argenteum (01-18-2022)

Thanks
    I knew when I was defrosting it that I should have waited. We had supply chain issues and she already missed a feed while I was waiting on more mediums so I felt okay about the first one, but that second one was a bad idea She does normally eat during sheds though so fingers crossed no regurge.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lisalombs For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-18-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    You just should have waited longer for her to completely digest the first large one- I understand "supply issues" & sizes aren't always perfect. Hopefully she'll be fine- but it's just going to take longer.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 399 Posts
    FWIW, a healthy adult snake of almost any remotely common captive species can easily be withheld a scheduled feeding or six (not exaggerating) without issue.

If for some reason I ran out of feeders for my adult snakes for two months I'd not worry one little bit about their health (thought it would throw a minor wrench into breeding projects). And mine are mostly colubrids, which process food a lot faster than BPs (though I do have an adult BP, and a small rat carries him about three-four weeks no problem).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-18-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 399 Posts

Re: Shedding or Sick?

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    which process food a lot faster than BPs (though I do have an adult BP, and a small rat carries him about three-four weeks no problem).
    I misread the post (and didn't look at the photos until just now), not noticing we're talking about a blood python (by 'BP' I meant 'ball python'). Sorry if my comments are now a little less relevant.

I used to keep a pair of brongersmai (raised from hatchlings, and then I bred them once to experience maternal incubation, which is really really neat) and they could be kind of weird from time to time, in the sort of way you're describing. But mine is a pretty limited experience with the species (less than ten years with only two snakes, and one decent sized clutch of hatchlings that were something of a bucketful of terror), a species that I take to be very behaviorally variable between individuals.

I did have an RI crop up in one of mine out of the blue, that I didn't notice as early as I perhaps should have. It turned out fine with a vet visit, but if I were to keep the species again I'd likely be in to the vet for relatively minor concerns. Once yours has shed, and you have any suspicions at all, a visit to a qualified and competent herp vet might not be a bad idea if only for the peace of mind.

I read your old posts; boy, she's tiny -- but pretty.