Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,792

3 members and 1,789 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

BP unplugged his RHP

My BP likes to explore every inch of his enclosure at night. He discovered the RHP wire at the top of his enclosure (shown below) and has started climbing on it:

The enclosure is 4' x 2' x 18" but there is a horizontal perch about 1 from the floor so my BP climbs onto that and then is able to climb through that small space between the RHP wire and the top of his enclosure. The weight combined with his movement pulls out the plug and I woke up at 4am to the low temperature alarm from the Herpstat going off.

This has happened twice already and I know my BP remembers places where he can climb and will seek them out again so I'm wondering what would be the best way to block him from climbing the wire.

There's no way he can get electrocuted or anything from it because the plug is like a computer charger and he wouldn't freeze from the temps being briefly lower than 75F, but it's a pain to keep being woken up at night and it's also hard to plug in the RHP because it's at the top of the enclosure at the very back.
    Last edited by Luvyna; 01-17-2022 at 05:46 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,789 Times in 11,825 Posts
    Oh yeah, snakes will always gravitate to a wire to climb on- or anything else that offers something they can grip with their body. Imagine if you had no hands- you'd do the same thing, as would I. They seek traction- you need to find a way to hide & protect the wire- you're correct that snakes remember this stuff. I used to have a rat snake that liked to thread herself thru the belt loops on my jeans- happily my jeans stayed up much better than your RHP cord did.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (01-18-2022),Luvyna (01-17-2022)

Thanks

Re: BP unplugged his RHP

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Oh yeah, snakes will always gravitate to a wire to climb on- or anything else that offers something they can grip with their body. Imagine if you had no hands- you'd do the same thing, as would I. They seek traction- you need to find a way to hide & protect the wire- you're correct that snakes remember this stuff. I used to have a rat snake that liked to thread herself thru the belt loops on my jeans- happily my jeans stayed up much better than your RHP cord did.
    Yep he loves wires even when I take him out of his enclosure if he sees wires he heads straight for them!

I'm thinking of maybe using some clay or something to block the gap between the wire and the top of the enclosure.

My BP does same thing your rat snake did - he also likes to thread himself through belt loops and he strangely seems to have no concept of how wide his body is because he will keep going through a belt loop until he gets stuck. I've already had to cut a belt loop because of this and now I know to watch him like a hawk and keep any closed loops including mug handles away from him.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-17-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    Yep he loves wires even when I take him out of his enclosure if he sees wires he heads straight for them!

I'm thinking of maybe using some clay or something to block the gap between the wire and the top of the enclosure.

My BP does same thing your rat snake did - he also likes to thread himself through belt loops and he strangely seems to have no concept of how wide his body is because he will keep going through a belt loop until he gets stuck. I've already had to cut a belt loop because of this and now I know to watch him like a hawk and keep any closed loops including mug handles away from him.
    That's mighty rough on belt loops! At least my rat snake could actually FIT thru them, lol. They sure remember where things are located.

Personally, I'd find something to enclose the wire that can then be glued or screwed to the top of the enclosure*, so there's nothing "loose" that's available for him to grab- & meanwhile, maybe add something he CAN use safely, like a bird ladder or something- it might help to take his mind off it if he has something else, but I'd never trust him to leave it alone now, 'cause he just won't. s will be s! Know what's even worse than belt loops? Never sit in a rope hammock with a snake! WAY too much temptation for them...

*There's any number of ways to do this actually- a trip to a good hardware store is in order.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Luvyna (01-20-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I would add a cable strap, or two, on the wire to prevent the snake from being able to crawl through the current opening.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

dakski (01-18-2022),Hugsplox (01-18-2022),Luvyna (01-20-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    my jeans stayed up much better than your RHP cord did.

ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 4theSNAKElady For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-17-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    This will keep the cable in place. Figure on putting in enough so he can't fit between them.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gardner-Ben...taples/3127835

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-18-2022),dakski (01-18-2022),Luvyna (01-20-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    This will keep the cable in place. Figure on putting in enough so he can't fit between them.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gardner-Ben...taples/3127835
    Those are nail-in type- maybe some risk of splitting the plastic (on a pricey enclosure)? Personally, I'd use those with screws*- plastic/acrylic is very easy to drill into- a safer option. (*or look for similar types that come with screws- https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gardner-Ben...-Cable/3438848)

Also, when using those overhead to hold a cable, eventually gravity could allow them to loosen just a bit & fail, whereas using screws would seem to be a better option for the long run. Screws tend to hold more firmly.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-18-2022 at 12:51 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Luvyna (01-20-2022),SS snakes (01-18-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I use screws with my cable straps. With that I have never had one come loose and my BRB regularly crawls through his lights wire.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-18-2022),Luvyna (01-20-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

It's a wise idea to try to secure your cables. We had a scary and potentially dangerous situation happen a couple of weeks back with one of our RHPs. We have two older style Reptile Basics panels where the plug can come out of the panel itself, two of the newer style Reptile Basics where the wire cannot come out of the panel, and 1 from ProProducts where the wire cannot come out of the panel. All are run on Herpstats. I was checking snakes and turning lights on one morning when I noticed our BCL had disconnected the wire from her heat panel, as happens every so often when she explores her enclosure. Except she had only *partially* loosened the plug from the panel and it was actively smoking at the connection point and had melted a little bit. I am SO glad I went downstairs when I did and was able to unplug everything. I hate to think about what could have happened if I hadn't. Needless to say this freaked me out really bad and I ordered replacement panels from ProProducts for the two older style RBI ones. We're keeping the newer style RBI panels for now but will eventually upgrade those to ProProducts as well.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-19-2022),Luvyna (01-20-2022)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast