Hey all, curious if this happens to anyone else.

Just got my first ever ball python over the past weekend. I've been letting him settle in and leaving him alone right now, but I have been regularly checking the tank's heat and humidity. (I've got a 4'x2'x2' pvc tank).

I'm using a pair of Arcadia deep heat projectors (one for a higher temp on the hot side, one to maintain a temperature in the low 80's on the cool side since it's winter right now). They work great for heating surfaces and keeping the general temperature up but I've noticed that the heat really doesn't penetrate hides. I've got one square pangea hide that warms appropriately, but nothing else seems to.

This is particularly a problem for his humid hides. Since it's winter and my place gets super dry then, I've added humid hides. I've tried both a mossy cave hide, and a plastic tupperware with spagnum moss in it. Both keep humidity up great but are way too cool on the inside (room temp, about 74F).

I'm thinking I might need to switch to a ceramic heat emitter, but I'd like to get some feedback first. Any thoughts?