Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,955

1 members and 2,954 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BP bite

Thanks

Re: BP bite

I was impressed myself at how well he did. I just said let's go to the tank and put your arm in there, keeping your face away while I figure out what to do. He has a clear little outline of her mouth on his wrist now but superficial and clean. At least now i feel as though I might be better prepared if she makes a mistake and bites the hand that feeds her in the future. I did jump pretty good when she took her mouse lol

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slownlow View Post
    It was never my intent for the sanitizer to touch her. Was my first experience dealing with how to handle a snake bite and I was a little freaked out. Upsized rat lol. I do wonder if an adult mouse is enough for her.
    Unless you're dealing with a large snake that can really hurt you, a better thing to use would be a dab of vinegar. Or a dunk in cold water (under faucet, or using the snake's bowl of water) will usually startle them enough to let go, without harming them.

But now you'll be better prepared, hopefully to prevent this situation from happening, but also what to do if it does.

Anytime you're not sure what your snake is thinking, show them something NOT edible & NOT appetizing first -like your sleeve, or the cardboard roll from paper towels, so they get the idea it's not incoming food. Always pay attention to what signal you might be sending to your snake, & make sure they read you correctly.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-13-2022 at 08:56 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Slownlow (01-13-2022)

Thanks
    Snakes, like dogs, are good judges of character. Just kidding.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,907 Times in 839 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slownlow View Post
    I did jump pretty good when she took her mouse lol
    Maybe she's due for the next size up? Depending on her size she may be ready for a little more in her meals and was probably just hungry and ready to go.
    Especially since you said she wrapped his arm? I'm thinking that's a decent size and ready for a small rat over a mouse.

If you haven't already, a good idea is to pick up a scale and weigh her. Typically we feed around 10% of the body weight as a meal every 7-14 days depending on factors like age, sex and if they are being bred.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Homebody (01-14-2022),Slownlow (01-13-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Armiyana View Post
    Maybe she's due for the next size up? Depending on her size she may be ready for a little more in her meals and was probably just hungry and ready to go.
    Especially since you said she wrapped his arm? I'm thinking that's a decent size and ready for a small rat over a mouse.

If you haven't already, a good idea is to pick up a scale and weigh her. Typically we feed around 10% of the body weight as a meal every 7-14 days depending on factors like age, sex and if they are being bred.
    Thanks for the useful info. I've never had issues putting my hand in, I generally make sure she's fully out of her hide or rock and pick her up by the mid section and just hold her, let her roam.
    Her neck is so tiny, like width of a dime that I'm always worried the mouse is too big. I do understand they can handle the widest part of their body. But she also has I'd say or at least I think they're 1 to 2 logged poops lol. It's dark brown, solid. Doesn't seem to be regurg.
    I do have a scale I can use. I am going to give her a couple more weeks of feeding before I take her out again in case she got a little stressed herself over the ordeal.
    I picked her up from Pet Smart back in April of 2019, the assumption then was that she was about 10mths. Not entirely sure.
    I do want to bring her to the vet just for an overall check up as she's only ever had 2 good sheds. I've always had issue with humidity and she actually seems rather happy in her enclosure. She prefers to sleep in the hide that's away from the heat source. When I've switched the rock and hide from under the heat. She also switched. She goes under the lamp when she's interested in heat.
    I also have cardboard over the screened lid with venting and the opening for the lamp. That never helped me with the humidity.
    I'm always greatful for any advice and help with Nyx

Thanks as always

Thanks

Talking Re: BP bite

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierHerper View Post
    Snakes, like dogs, are good judges of character. Just kidding.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12