Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 794

11 members and 783 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 72,285
Threads: 246,291
Posts: 2,551,602
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, IrishMongooz
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Registered User Neko_snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-11-2021
    Posts
    151
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 89 Times in 62 Posts

    Humidity/Temperature gauge

    Hey guys,
    I'm looking for recommendations for a humidity gauges. I have had 2, one from Lowes and one from Walmart, and they're both broken. One snake knocked one into the water bowl so now it constantly says 99% humidity, this one was only 3 months since I bought it. And the other my boy laid on so only half the screen works, this one was 6 months since I bought it. So I'm trying to get 2 new ones that'll hopefully last more than 6 months. I do like the dual humidity and temperature just because it gives me a quick glance of how cold their cool side is and gives me a rough humidity for the enclosures.

    Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    BPnet Lifer KMG's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-09-2012
    Location
    Tx
    Posts
    5,600
    Thanks
    1,030
    Thanked 2,874 Times in 1,925 Posts
    Images: 53
    I have had a good number of different ones over the years and most all of them broke. Oddly enough I have found these cheap analog ones have worked great and I have had them for many years. I no longer place digital ones in the cages and now just have one on each side of my snake room to monitor the entire room rather than each cage.

    https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Econo...%2C186&sr=8-11
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

    0.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

  3. #3
    Registered User Malum Argenteum's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-17-2021
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    42
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 62 Times in 25 Posts
    I have about a dozen of these, about 7 years old, no failures, all agree more or less with each other and other meters.
    https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-Humid...s%2C223&sr=8-2

  4. #4
    BPnet Lifer KMG's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-09-2012
    Location
    Tx
    Posts
    5,600
    Thanks
    1,030
    Thanked 2,874 Times in 1,925 Posts
    Images: 53

    Re: Humidity/Temperature gauge

    Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    I have about a dozen of these, about 7 years old, no failures, all agree more or less with each other and other meters.
    https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-Humid...s%2C223&sr=8-2
    I have had that one in my gun safe since 2014. It has worked well and is good on batteries. I just had not had good luck with digital models in my pvc cages. They have all died. I even bought a set of outdoor rated ones that had a main base station and all worked wirelessly. They all died too.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

    0.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

  5. #5
    Registered User Neko_snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-11-2021
    Posts
    151
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 89 Times in 62 Posts

    Re: Humidity/Temperature gauge

    Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    I have about a dozen of these, about 7 years old, no failures, all agree more or less with each other and other meters.
    https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-Humid...s%2C223&sr=8-2
    That's the one that Remi broke... He pushed it and the screen half doesn't work. It at least still reads just hard to figure out with a half dead screen.

    Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Registered User Neko_snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-11-2021
    Posts
    151
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 89 Times in 62 Posts

    Re: Humidity/Temperature gauge

    Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    I have had a good number of different ones over the years and most all of them broke. Oddly enough I have found these cheap analog ones have worked great and I have had them for many years. I no longer place digital ones in the cages and now just have one on each side of my snake room to monitor the entire room rather than each cage.

    https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Econo...%2C186&sr=8-11
    I've seen the analog ones like this not working accurately. What's your experience with the accuracy? Also these tend to never stay where you place them so I'd like to hear your solutions to that as well.

    Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Registered User Homebody's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-19-2019
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    88
    Thanks
    403
    Thanked 57 Times in 38 Posts
    Images: 3

    Re: Humidity/Temperature gauge

    My Exo Terra Combometer Digital Thermometer & Hygrometer has lasted two years. It switches between Fahrenheit and Celsius for no reason but it works.

  8. #8
    BPnet Lifer KMG's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-09-2012
    Location
    Tx
    Posts
    5,600
    Thanks
    1,030
    Thanked 2,874 Times in 1,925 Posts
    Images: 53

    Re: Humidity/Temperature gauge

    Quote Originally Posted by Neko_snake View Post
    I've seen the analog ones like this not working accurately. What's your experience with the accuracy? Also these tend to never stay where you place them so I'd like to hear your solutions to that as well.

    Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    I compared the ones I have to the calibrated ones I have in my cigar humidor and they were right on. I really couldn't believe it. I figured they would be a good ways off but they all agreed.

    As far as sticking them I just clean the cage wall really well with alcohol and use some good Velcro. That way if the snake does pull it off they will simply separate the velcro and not expose the sticky side of the strips. My GTP will climbs on his and it has not fallen off. My ETB did knock hers down and kept doing it so I now just have it sitting on a large flat piece of petrified wood. I have another that I was using in my Hoggy tank but I got a hanging hide for him and had to remove it because of space.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

    0.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

    Homebody (01-12-2022)

  10. #9
    BPnet Lifer KMG's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-09-2012
    Location
    Tx
    Posts
    5,600
    Thanks
    1,030
    Thanked 2,874 Times in 1,925 Posts
    Images: 53

    Re: Humidity/Temperature gauge

    Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    My Exo Terra Combometer Digital Thermometer & Hygrometer has lasted two years. It switches between Fahrenheit and Celsius for no reason but it works.
    I have and have had several of those either in combo or temp only. They have been pretty good but the humidity was often off on the ones I had.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

    0.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

  11. #10
    Registered User Malum Argenteum's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-17-2021
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    42
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 62 Times in 25 Posts

    Re: Humidity/Temperature gauge

    Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    I have had that one in my gun safe since 2014. It has worked well and is good on batteries. I just had not had good luck with digital models in my pvc cages. They have all died. I even bought a set of outdoor rated ones that had a main base station and all worked wirelessly. They all died too.
    I wonder if I'm just good at keeping them out of moisture's way. I do know that they (any digital unit, even just the remote probes) don't tolerate water, or even a condensing environment for long.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1