Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,536

2 members and 2,534 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

New front opening tank/aquarium

So Ghost (my son’s new snake) is almost 8 months old and is in a 10 gallon tank. Probably fine for a couple of months but is going to need something bigger soon. What are the best front opening solutions for a BP? Money is not an issue. Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 19,794 Times in 11,828 Posts
    I only use glass tanks that open on top, so others will have to chime in for you on this- but also, are you sure you want a glass tank/"aquarium" at all? Many here seem much happier with the front-opening enclosures made of plastic (especially for keeping a BP), since the minimal air-flow will better retain the needed humidity too. There's multiple options (sources)- many ppl have their own favorites for various reasons that I'm sure they'll explain. Animal Plastics seems to be one of the favorites around here, but there's others.

The biggest drawback for these options though is the backlog of orders- most have extensive wait times so once you decide, & if you go that way, you'll want to place an order "yesterday". (I'm not keeping BPs now, so my preference for glass relates to the snakes I do keep- primarily rat snakes, with some other kinds too. Anyway, all my snakes do best with plenty of air-flow.)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-11-2022 at 11:30 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I've had a few front opening glass enclosures, currently my Carpet is in one. I like them if they are tall. If it's long and low like a 40gal most people use I like top opening, which is what my Ball is in. I have a heated snake room and live in Texas(humidity) so that works for me. I actually have four glass enclosures. My Hoggy, Carpet, Ball, and Cen Am Boa are in them.

But if keeping heat and humidity is needed I highly suggest a PVC cage. They are much easier to hold heat and humidity than a glass tank. Either way we can get your set up..
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

Re: New front opening tank/aquarium

We bought a Carolina Customs glass tank with sliding glass doors (Carolina Custom Cages Terrarium, Extra-Long, 48Lx18Dx18H, Easy Assembly https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B077QHSY...ing=UTF8&psc=1) bought it on Amazon, but they have a website too with other sizes. This was during set up:

We put black foam project board behind the background and on the two sides and bought clear vinyl (for a dining room table) and cut it to fit and cover about 90% of the top to hold the heat and humidity better. It’s been set up for a couple of months and doing great. We have another glass tank that has doors that swing out (by zoomed) set up the same way, but we like the sliding doors better, though the ones that swing out give you full access to the tank when open. Both tanks have locks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AutumnVanilla For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-12-2022),Homebody (01-12-2022)

Thanks
    If you want a glass front-opening tank I recommend exo-terra. They are my favorite cages and I know of a lot of people who use them for ball pythons. As mentioned earlier in this thread pvc enclosures might work better depending on your climate (specifically if the room is dry and cool).

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erie_herps For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-12-2022),Homebody (01-12-2022)

Thanks
    There are also aquarium conversion kits that are doors you can attach to an aquarium, but I can't say which one is the best.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Trinityblood For This Useful Post:

Homebody (01-12-2022)

Thanks
    I have this PVC for my adult male ball python and he loves it, it shipped really quickly (less than a week) is very lightweight and you can instal lighting and a heat panel in the top of it using just a drill and some short screws. A heat mat works underneath it too. https://www.reptilebasics.com/reptil...ble-door-cage/
    Maxine & Luther - dogs
    Carlisle-male normal ball python (12ish years old)
    Travis-male normal blood python (1.5 years old)
    Alexis-female citrus bearded dragon
    Heather- adult zebra stripe knee tarantula (a. seemanni)
    Three-juvenile Mexican red leg T (b. boehmei)
    Steve Carell-adult curly hair T (b. albopilosum)

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Deanna For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-12-2022),Erie_herps (01-13-2022),Homebody (01-12-2022),jmcrook (01-12-2022),MR Snakes (01-13-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
    I have this PVC for my adult male ball python and he loves it, it shipped really quickly (less than a week) is very lightweight and you can instal lighting and a heat panel in the top of it using just a drill and some short screws. A heat mat works underneath it too. https://www.reptilebasics.com/reptil...ble-door-cage/

Reptile Basics is who the breeder recommended as his choice for a very nice, easy to clean enclosure.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MR Snakes For This Useful Post:

Deanna (01-19-2022)

Thanks

Wilbanks Reptiles has great enclosures made by AP that they actually stock! It only takes 10 days to get it.

https://www.wilbanksreptiles.com/col...kit-36-x19-x12

They include the lock, LED lighting, and 3" heat tape. I went with a radiant panel as well. It holds humidity really well.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to montagma For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-14-2022)