Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 843

13 members and 830 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 72,285
Threads: 246,291
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, IrishMongooz
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BP acting crazy

Thanks
    And not to harp on the heat point, but are you controlling it with a thermostat? Without one, temperature fluctuations are very possible - especially in the winter when everyone has their heaters going.

Barring temperature spikes as a possible cause, I'm really going to restate that I would get him to a vet ASAP. The thrashing you describe makes me think something neurological and that has me worried. A few more questions - have you noticed anything else off with him? Is he eating? Have there been any chemicals (like pest treatments or similar) near the room he's in or even in the house?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to arpowell For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (01-12-2022),Bogertophis (01-12-2022),Malum Argenteum (01-12-2022)

Thanks

Re: BP acting crazy

Since this is the second time this has happened, does it happen this time each year? If so I'm wondering if it's a mating thing. Although I'm pretty sure if it was he would still wiggle around in your hands. If it's just his enclosure then like others said the temperatures are a likely cause if it's not regulated/if you don't have the equipment to check easily.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 14,591 Times in 9,115 Posts
    Sounds like something is going on with this snake- I'd see a vet too, but make sure the one you see has enough snake experience.

This may help: https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

He might be in pain*, or have some sort of neurological issue that may or may not be related to overheating. What you describe is NOT "normal".

Also, if you can get a video of the behavior, that would really help the vet diagnose, because you cannot rely on the snake to do this when the vet is examining him.

*Does this snake eat live prey or has he EVER eaten live prey? It's very possible he has intestinal worms- they can migrate within his body & cause pain & internal damage- I'd thrash too!

So when you see the vet, try to take a FRESH stool sample for them to check for worms- and please don't delay, okay? He sounds miserable to me. Let us know what the vet thinks?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (01-12-2022),arpowell (01-12-2022),Homebody (01-12-2022)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    With the snake having been in your care for this long, I would definitely look for a good reptile vet.

What your describing sounds like a seizures which can be from things like tumors or encapsulated parasite cysts. As Boger said, it can also be a pain reaction too from still active parasites as well.

Double check all your temps with a good temp gun just in case, but I would go the vet way with as fresh of a fecal as you can grab. You can ziplock baggie and pop it in the fridge if you have to.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

arpowell (01-12-2022),Bogertophis (01-12-2022),Malum Argenteum (01-12-2022)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12