Quote Originally Posted by arpowell View Post
It sounds like you're primarily trying to handle your snake while he's awake and out and about in his enclosure - have you tried handling him during the day when he's sleepy and less active? It sounds like him seeing you in front of glass and trying to get away is a major stressor for both of you during these experiences, so maybe helping to eliminate the chances of him seeing you coming will also help you both out. I always give my snakes a gentle tap before I pick them up, though, just to let them know I'm there and it's handling time - don't want to startle a sleeping snake by picking it up suddenly. Also, how are you picking him up? I'm sure you already know this, but just in case, if you hesitate while picking him up, that's probably scaring him, too. You want to pick him up in one fluid, confident motion, regardless of how he's acting.

Like others have said, empathy, patience, and consistency will go a long, long way. You mention that your snake seems to feel insecure out in the open - try to remember where he's coming from. He's still so small, you're so much bigger than him, and for baby snakes the world is a very scary place. Handling him calmly, gently, and letting him explore over your hands rather than trying to pet or restrain him will eventually teach him that handling time is nothing to fear. Also, make sure you end your handling session on a high note, when he's reasonably calm and you're both having a good time. I never want my snakes to associate stressed behavior with getting to go back into the enclosure. I've noticed that when some snakes are nervous they respond well to being held over your head. In the wild, snakes are mostly attacked from above, so holding him above you seems to help some of them calm down. That might be something to try and see if it works for your snake.
No I do it only during the day. When he's out it's too risky since he is more alert then.
But he always wakes up when I open the cage and then he is scared again. I lift up his hide carefully and if he doesn't follow my hand too close for comfort I gently graze his flank to let him know I am there and then I pick him up in the middle without waiting.
He just gets very lively once he's on my hands.