Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,241

1 members and 3,240 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Re: Cannibalism in rats?

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Balls View Post
    How would you attach a rodent bottle to a cardboard box?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You're brave keeping them in a cardboard box. My wife would never let me hear the end of it if they got out.

If this is something you do often I would invest in the proper equipment to do it. Just a little cage and at least a water bottle. That will make the entire process better for you and them.

Something like this is what I'm thinking.

OMEM Portable Reptile Terrarium Habitat for Mini Pet Houses https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H7C5H97...36AGM3CV?psc=1

Exo Terra Faunarium, Plastic Reptile Terrarium, Mini https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000256DXG...605ZAWBQ?psc=1

And this would hang easy to give water without a mess.

Lixit Aquarium Cage Climbing Resistant Water Bottles for Rats, Hamsters Gerbils, Mice and Other Small Animals https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006B6804...RT8PEQV4?psc=1

As to why it happened? You got me. I had a rabbit growing up that every time she had babies she would kill them and eat the top of their heads.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

2. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Snow Balls (01-05-2022)

Thanks
    I think it's also possible that one died and the others took advantage of it for food.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Erie_herps View Post
    I think it's also possible that one died and the others took advantage of it for food.
    As well as for moisture... This was so avoidable!
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (01-05-2022),ballpythonluvr (01-05-2022),Erie_herps (01-05-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,090 Times in 420 Posts
    It is possible that you simply bought the rats at a time when they happened to not have been recently fed. It may be that the store feeds and waters feeders each morning and was simply running late that day. Not an unlikely hypothesis, considering the labor situation currently.

It was almost certainly hunger or thirst, and I've had feeders die and not be eaten since there was food and water present. If my feeder mice run out of food (always a regrettable and culpable situation on my part), they absolutely eat each other. I haven't bred rats for a while, and never had them run out of food or water when I did, but suspect they're the same as mice.

Personally, I'd not box feeders for more than an hour or two without food and water, and I'd not house them in a cardboard box for any length of time -- not even minutes. (I have put the cardboard carrier inside of a vented plastic tub for the ride home, for the extra layer of protection. Screened vents in the top, where they cannot get to easily.)

They chew out of things so fast it is mind blowing. I use tubs with holes for water bottle nozzles in the side, and if I leave a hole without a water bottle for ten minutes, they've chewed the hole out to the point that the tub is unusable.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (01-05-2022),ballpythonluvr (01-05-2022),Bogertophis (01-05-2022),Erie_herps (01-06-2022),GoingPostal (01-05-2022),Homebody (01-05-2022)

Thanks
    I'm just a little unsure why you're getting defensive and not trying to take any of the blame. It can 100% be pure luck, even if its the first time its happening to you. I'd find a better way to get feeders than to leave them in a cardboard box for 8-10 hours, because that's simply asking for trouble.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SS snakes View Post
    I'm just a little unsure why you're getting defensive and not trying to take any of the blame. It can 100% be pure luck, even if its the first time its happening to you. I'd find a better way to get feeders than to leave them in a cardboard box for 8-10 hours, because that's simply asking for trouble.
    Who said I was getting defensive?

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not" -Kurt Cobain

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SS snakes View Post
    You've been waiting to make a first post and that's what you went with. Interesting choice.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (01-06-2022),Snow Balls (01-05-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    You've been waiting to make a first post and that's what you went with. Interesting choice.
    Exactly the thought that went through my mind. As for those cages you recommended, I was thinking about something maybe like the yellow/black storage bins from Home Depot with some vent holes drilled out near the top with other holes drilled out near the bottom for the water bottle. How far off the ground should the bottle be exactly?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Snow Balls For This Useful Post:

KMG (01-05-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Balls View Post
    Exactly the thought that went through my mind. As for those cages you recommended, I was thinking about something maybe like the yellow/black storage bins from Home Depot with some vent holes drilled out near the top with other holes drilled out near the bottom for the water bottle. How far off the ground should the bottle be exactly?

Probably about 4-5" -that's for the tip of the tube above the cage floor or from the top of any substrate you put in there- to accommodate all ages/sizes of rats. If the tip contacts any substrate, it will continuously wick out the water. Water bottles usually are sold with a basic attachment thingy- so wait until you have the bottle & holder in hand to measure.

It would probably be better to just put a hole for the tube to poke inside, & attach the bottle outside, since rats (& other rodents) will use it to climb on if it's available, & when it bangs against the side for a while, it will drip more. Rats will be rats...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-05-2022 at 03:07 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Probably about 4-5" -that's for the tip of the tube above the cage floor or from the top of any substrate you put in there- to accommodate all ages/sizes of rats. If the tip contacts any substrate, it will continuously wick out the water. Water bottles usually are sold with a basic attachment thingy- so wait until you have the bottle & holder in hand to measure.
    That type of bin would work though right? I was planning on running by Home Depot after work anyways and grabbing a few cleaning supplies. I might as well go by petco and grab a bottle too. Putting substrate in would probably help with cleaning afterwards I assume?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast