Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,994

0 members and 2,994 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Help choosing BCI

Hello!

My husband and I have ball pythons but would like a bigger snake…we’ve decided to go with boa constrictors. We would like to (eventually) get a male and female. These would be primarily pets but we would like to get genetics that we could eventually breed and get some pretty cool babies. What would you suggest? We’re looking for something that isn’t too crazy expensive. I saw an albino female that was in our price range that I loved the look of but haven’t decided yet. We were hoping to someday make red dragons, or sunglows, moonglows, IMG, we are not sure we love the look of most everything, lol! What would you suggest?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabee For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (01-03-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Snakes live a long time, with good genetics, good care, & good luck. Take your time making up your mind, because what appeals to me or anyone else, may not be your choice at all- it's very subjective. I've had one boa- a BCI- but she was a rescue, not "chosen" by me. Still, I loved her deep dark coloration & impressive iridescence. But you need to choose based on your goals & what appeals to you. Do a lot of "window shopping".
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (01-04-2022)

Thanks

Re: Help choosing BCI

Yes, we are definitely taking our time. Doing research on genetics and looking up photos of boas is honestly so enjoyable for us so we are in no hurry. And we definitely want to know for sure before we buy, because more than breeding we are looking to add to our scaled family and are in it for the long hall.

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Nice to see your getting into boas they really are nice snakes.
    You say you like the red dragons, these are probably one of the highest end morphs and quite expensive ones there is at the moment with it be a combination of the albino gene and the blood gene both recessive so both parents will need a copy each of the albino and blood gene, you can get cheaper hets but will take 3/4 years to produce a visual but by far the cheepest way of making them and. Ore rewarding.

I have 4 double het pairs(kahl albino and Berry blood) and hopefully this year I will be able to produce some visual red or sundragons( sundragon is the hypo gene too ) wich Co dominant gene
    One of my visual dragon makers is also a hypo jungle double het for kahl albino and Berry blood, so will make sundragon and red dragon jungles.
    The het blood shows thru quite well but the albino doesn't so make sure you go to a legit breeder so you don't get ripped off and have to wait the 3/4 years to prove they don't carry the albino gene

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-03-2022),EL-Ziggy (01-04-2022)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

You might want to look at the stickies at this link: https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/genetics.20/

I used to spend a lot of time there. It has a lot of genetics stuff about boas. Did you know that three loci with two alleles each can make 216 (6x6x6) different matings?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to paulh For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (01-04-2022)

Thanks

Smile Re: Help choosing BCI

Hi Annabee, I'm not an expert but I,ve had several boas over maybe the past 30 years so these are just my observations from personal experience. I've had excellent experience with Columbian BCI's (NOT true red tails). They always seem very docile and easy to keep. Males get maybe a foot shorter than females with less girth. I've had great success using breeders who ship overnight. They are very careful not to ship snakes with mites and provide a live arrival guarantee. If you ship a snake during marginally cold weather ask to have an extra heat pac put in the box (at your expense). Knowing the birthdate is also good so you'll know when to have the annual BD party LOL. Also, a breeder can help you with breeding questions. The breeder I buy from even offers his opinion as to which one is most docile and will give it extra handling days before shipping. I only buy snakes for pets and mine can't seem to get enough handling. Check out Morph Market on line. You can see what each breeder has according to age, coloration, morph and price. Already having experience with Balls is great. You'll find a boa to be quite different from a Ball in terms of how it handles. I love it! Hope this has been helpful and thanks for a great question.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snakester For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-12-2022),richardhind1972 (01-12-2022)