Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,829

1 members and 2,828 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

My New Florida Kingsnake

Hey guys, what are Florida Kingsnakes like? I got this guy over the holidays from a tropical fish store. He is absolutely the chillest snake I've come across. The store said they had him for about 4 months. Feeding on a fuzzy once a week. Should I feed him 2 when he gets a little bigger? I know they get pretty big and am a little confused how much these guys need to eat. Anyways, I don't really name my snakes. but for some reason, this guy seems too personable not to name him/her.

Do these guys always stay so calm? How are they compared to a Cal King (Mine is pretty chill too). thx.

Last edited by DLreptile; 01-03-2022 at 01:15 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DLreptile For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-03-2022),Gio (01-04-2022),plateOfFlan (01-03-2022)

Thanks
    Also, is their care pretty much the same as a Corn snake?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Wow, that snake is a real beauty! Hatchling kings are not normally "chill" but since they've had him for 4 mos. or so, he's obviously been handled & learned to feel safe with people. I think you did great, buying him! He's really colorful.

As to feeding, remember that colubrids have more narrow bodies, so yes, that's what I'd do too- when he needs a bigger meal, upsize first by feeding 2 fuzzies for a while, then go to hoppers, etc.

King snakes are normally chow-hounds (good eaters!) but for the first year, I'd feed him weekly, & after that, gradually go to feeding about every 10 days. I think he'll "let you know".

As far as comparing king snakes, some are way more chill than others. Some think fingers "might just fit"? (Especially if they are seldom handled.) We'll welcome your updates here.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: My New Florida Kingsnake

Quote Originally Posted by DLreptile View Post
    Also, is their care pretty much the same as a Corn snake?
    Kings are more terrestrial (ground dwellers) & more apt to dig UNDER substrates, whereas corns are more into climbing things. But temperatures & humidity are pretty much the same- both do very well at our comfortable room temperatures (70* winter to 75-80* summer) & both will use UTH warmth in just one area, with 2 hides always (one cool & one warm). Easy peasy snakes, IMO. I have kept various kings but not a Florida, btw. Excellent pets, IMO, & way less "fussy" than BPs. Being from Florida, I'd provide some humidity if you live in a dry climate- & maybe a humid-hide too.

King & milk snakes generally love this type of hide, btw. https://beanfarm.com/collections/bed...hide-out-small

Thanks

Yeah, I'm hoping his color doesn't change too much. He pretty much just stays buried under aspen. I use a lot of aspen, so finding him is kind of a pain; I just use 2 hides and a water bowl for now.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Gratz.... What a great looking animal. Enjoy watching the little herp growing up.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DLreptile View Post
    Yeah, I'm hoping his color doesn't change too much. He pretty much just stays buried under aspen. I use a lot of aspen, so finding him is kind of a pain; I just use 2 hides and a water bowl for now.
    Aspen doesn't favor humidity, & since he's a Florida native, I would suggest giving him a humid hide with damp sphagnum moss inside- it's no fun trying to get a stuck shed skin off a small snake- & they can easily lose tail tips or get eyecaps stuck on too (which could mean expensive vet help).

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

DLreptile (01-03-2022),Spicey (01-03-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

Very nice kingsnake! Congrats on the handsome new addition. I agree with Bogertophis, kings are pretty easy to care for. A hot spot of 84-86 is all you need. Normal ambient cool side temps of 70-75 are just fine. My kings were pretty voracious eaters too. Once they start taking multiple prey items I usually move them up to the next size. They won’t need anything larger than a jumbo mouse or small rat as adults which makes them pretty inexpensive to feed.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO