Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,830

1 members and 2,829 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Defensive or hungry ball python?

My ball comes out of his hide most of the time when I vacuum the room. It's strange somehow because he doesn't come out when I do other things. He sticks his head out when I am near and watches but he gets excited and comes out fully when the vacuum is on.
    Now I am wondering if he is defensive or hungry. I use the blow dryer to warm up his meals every time so I thought maybe the vibration from tge vacuum is similar to the blow dryer and he's just hungry.
    What do you think?

Thanks
    My bp also does this when I vacuum, although she usually just pokes her head out. I think they're probably just feeling the vibrations from the vacuum and checking out what's going on, if I had to guess.

I'm not sure how similar the vibrations from a vacuum would be to a blow dryer to a bp - they don't have external eardrums, so they hear much differently than we do. Some people think they can only feel vibrations, and some think it's more like how we hear underwater. Your guess that he's associating it with the sound of a blow dryer for some reason might be right, for all we know.

Have you noticed him doing any defensive behaviors when you're vacuuming? If not, I think it's a safe bet he's just curious about the vibrations and wants to check it out!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arpowell For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-02-2022),EL-Ziggy (01-02-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,817 Times in 11,840 Posts
    My snakes also "pay attention" when I vacuum, even if they've just eaten. They obviously can "feel-hear" something is out of the ordinary. Probably means I should vacuum more often? Same reaction, btw, as when I play music loud, & I'm SURE I should do that more often as well.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-02-2022 at 01:55 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (01-02-2022)