Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,940

3 members and 2,937 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

ball python always "playing" in water bowl...I am worried about scale rot

I wasn't able to fit the real title in, but more accurately:

"ball python always "playing" in water bowl and making her paper towels soaked...I am worried about her getting scale rot."

That is what I am worried about. She totally on her own makes her floor/paper towels so wet from her water bowl, and therefore is directly sitting on a perfect recipe for scale rot.

What are y'all's thoughts? Anything helps...Thanks!

Thanks

Re: ball python always "playing" in water bowl...I am worried about scale rot

Just felt her belly and noticed it was a little flaky and there was a few scales with the tiniest bit of brown on them. They were so small you wouldn't see unless you looked hard. With that being said it could be scale rot, the start of a shed (she has been soaking some) or it could be her being too rough in the enclosure (which is very possible with the way she plays at night).

This paper towel soaking thing has only been going on for maybe the last 2 weeks, is that long enough for scale rot to form? I will see If I can get some pics.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,180 Times in 1,176 Posts

Please add pics of the brown scales and the enclosure. Also describe the enclosure temps and humidity. It will give us a better picture of what's going on.

My bp was always knocking over his water bowl when I first got him and I was worried about the same thing. I solved it by using a wide bottom tupperware dish. When filled about a third of the way, it was stable enough that he no longer knocked it over, but since it was only a third full he wouldn't slosh out the water when he moved around in it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-29-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,794 Times in 11,828 Posts
    Are you POSITIVE there are no mites on this snake? Mites bite & cause irritation- snakes often seek relief in water bowls. Look closely, they're tiny (they hide under scales but may also come off in the water bowl). I agree that a damp cage can also cause scale infections.

Another possible reason that a snake seeks the water bowl is that it's too warm. Double check the temps. accurately- what's are they? Snakes need warmth, but also part of the cage with a lower temp.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-29-2021 at 11:37 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Ok, so my temperature is an ambient of about 80 degrees F. I have a heat mat under one hide as a hot spot, and the the other hide is her cool spot.

Humidity is usually somewhere between 50-75 but it fluctuates. Sometimes at night I have to spray it down because using a heat lamp can usually suck my humidity out (and paper towels don't help humidity much either).

I don't know how to upload a picture but I know there is an app I can get to upload them (I just got a new lap top so I have to re-download it).

I am sure there are no mites. Like I said, I have paper towels and so they would show. Like I also said, It is most likely either scale rot or her playing too rough in the enclosure.

Thanks for the water bowl tips, I don't think she tips it over since it never moves much throughout the night and it is pretty heavy. I don't really know how she does it but somehow her paper towels are soaked in the morning.

Thanks again and I will try too update pictures.

Thanks

Also, I could be wrong, but currently she is my only snake so I think mites are pretty unlikely. I don't know where she would get them from. But I am positive there are no mites.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,794 Times in 11,828 Posts
    With so little background given, I only mentioned mites "in case"? Don't expect us to know or remember how long you've had your snake or other details given previously in other posts- because we can't & don't. Our responses are better when you supply more needed information.

People here use Tapatalk for pix.
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-Post-Pictures
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-29-2021 at 12:08 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Yes, I wasn't blaming you and I appreciate the thought. Please excuse me, I was thinking out loud.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    My thoughts are you need to relax and put less water in the bowl so when the snake gets in it it doesn't displace to the point of making it overflow. Not that laying in some water for a few hours is going to do anything.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,906 Times in 839 Posts
    Regarding the mites for the future:
    I am very picky about where I pick up my bedding from if I need more. Mites can hide in or on the bags on shelves if the store has animals with mites on them. I always do a quick check of the animals in a store before I buy any just in case. Since your baby is on paper towels, You should have seen a couple on the paper towels by now for sure.

Sometimes you'll see mites on the live mice and rats. These will be a pale brown, not the dark brown of a reptile mite. These are harmless to snakes but can give people a good nip and itch sometimes.

For the water issue:
    You mentioned in another post that she peed in her water bowl. This isn't uncommon. If she hadn't gone in a bit, she may have been in the bowl to stimulate herself to potty.
    With the way shedding cycles work, I have the feeling your baby may be starting a shed. Sometimes they'll be a little full of poop or perry because the body is working more on the skin process than the digestive process.

Not sure if it's the case for your baby but ...I notice my younger noodles will start getting antsy when they're ready for a bigger space. This will be things like roaming alot more, pushing on the corners, refusing to stay in hides and things like messing with the water bowl alot more. Two of my most recent would repeatedly tip the water.

And then there's some snakes who just like to flood everything. I've upgraded my babies to heavier bowls to avoid it.

Pictures will give a better idea of what's going on, but unless your noodle has been stewing in dirty water daily, I wouldn't be too concerned yet.
    Last edited by Armiyana; 12-29-2021 at 02:09 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-29-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast